For mother-in-law: 2000-5000 lumen rechargeable flashlight with dead-simple UI

ntalbot

Enlightened
This is for my mother-in-law whose eyesight is very poor and she hates the dark. When there is a power-outage she wants to be able to light up the room in a big way. She loves my TN35-UT, except the UI is a major challenge for her.
Also, she is arthritic, so taking out batteries and recharging them would not be easy for her. So I am looking for a pop-can flooder (or smaller) that is rechargeable via a cable or cradle and has a super simple UI -- just on and off would be preferable, or a rotary switch for levels would work ok too, as long as it does not have a strobe mode.

The only thing I have found so far is the TN30vn50 rechargeable which I can program to be single-mode, but I am worried it might overheat even with the 50% ramp down down timer set to a short time. I am trying to get Vinh to de-tune it down to 5k lumens, but he's hasn't gotten back to me yet.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light in person from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__X__This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I don't know yet
____Up to $25.
____Up to $50.
____Up to $100.
____Up to $200.
_X___Up to $300.
____Essentially unlimited.

3) Format:

____I am not sure, please help me decide.
__X__I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).
____I want a self-contained headlamp.
____I want a headlamp with an external pack/power source.
____I want a mounted light (typically for a bicycle or vehicle)
____I want a lantern/area light.
____I want a portable spotlight (it may have an external power source).
____Other ____________________________________________

4) Size:

____MICRO - Keychain size.
____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
____SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
_X___MEDIUM - Holster/belt ring carry. (>7 inches)
____LARGE - Big enough to need its own travel case.
____I don't know/I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__X__I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).
____I am interested in assembling my own components. (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Alkaline batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use "Primary"/Disposable Lithium batteries based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D and CR123 sized cells common to most stores (often a cold weather or long storage choice).
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).
__X__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery pack.
____I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option
_X___I want a light that plugs directly into the wall (literally with prongs built into the light)
__X__I want a light that has a recharging adapter (your typical "wall wart")
__X__I want a light that snaps into a cradle (usually mounted on a wall)
_No___I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)
____I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (1-10 lumens).
____I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
____I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__X__I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

__X__SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

_X___All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
__X__Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
__X__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
____Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
____Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
____Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
____Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
____30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
____150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_X___90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't know.

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____Any size switch will do.
____I need a BIG switch (I'll be using gloves or have very large hands or coordination issues).
____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
____I want a remote switch (usually found on high-end bicycle headlights)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
__X__Other, please specify___Anything as long as it's dead simple_________________.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

__X__A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode")
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ---...--- emergency pattern)
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
____I don't care.
____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
__X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.

15) Water resistance
__X__None needed
____IPX4 (Splash resistant)
____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions
__X__In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
____Emergency kit (long standby periods)
____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)
____Other_________________________________________ ____

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking, Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a few thoughts for you to consider.

In the Power Outage Thread... many people are comfortable with 100 lumens or less. Considering your mother-in-law's vision, you may find that 300 lumens or so, may be good enough for her. You may find that at your requested 2000-5000 lumen light level that even with her poor vision that her irises will be stopping down the light to her retina. And that many of the lumens will be wasted lumens, and that there is a significant loss in run-time due to the wasted lumens.

Ceiling bounced lights often work better indoors than lanterns.

A few lights scattered about the house/apartment may give a more spacious feeling.

Auto on Emergency lights might be a life saver, so that she can safely find her way to what-ever main light you decide to get for her. I have multiple plug into an outlet light (about $10 each) on each floor of the house, and situated so that each room will get at least SOME light. One is on top of the refrigerator, plugged into an extension cord that is plugged into the outlet behind the refrigerator.

I was going to recommend the Thrunite TN30 with the magnetic ring as the UI. I am pretty sure that one of their models is USB rechargeable, but I don't know which one. I doubt that you really need to go for a modded version to get higher output than what an off the shelf model will do.

During an outage, she will not be able to recharge the flashlight, so unless she has an additional source of power, and the light has pass-through (or whatever it is called) so that the light can be powered externally while charging, and still light up, then run-time will be a critical consideration especially, if you feel that she will not be able to change the battery herself.

For ease of use... recharging you might look into the Olight lights that use a magnetic base and cable.

Many of the rechargeable lights use a micro USB port. That may be challenging for her.

You might consider rechargeable power tool lights, such as milwalkee, skill, makita, or ryobi. They are typically fast charge lithium battery packs, that snap into the light. Find one that will best fit her needs. I am sure that each will have high capacity or lower capacity batteries. The high capacity batteries may be the equivalent of 10 2600mah 18650 cells! lol... put that into a flashlight and smoke it :)

Should there be an extended outage, some, if not all of the manufacturers have a charger that can plug into the cigar power port of a car or truck. I mention this... just in case.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
An example of one of the work lights is the

$69 Ryobi ONE+ 18-Volt Dual Power 20-Watt LED Work Light
Model #P720
1,800 lumens
Since it runs at 20 watts, it should get about 3.6 hours on a P108 72W high capacity lithium battery pack.
Then it is a simple snap one battery out, and snap a fresh battery in.

The High capacity batteries are about $100 each, but home depot sometimes has them at two for $100. Maybe at Christmas, or black Friday specials that they run for a week.

About $60 for a charger and 24W battery (upgrade kit) that would run the light for an hour. (this is not the car/truck charger I mentioned earlier).

So for about $230 you'll get an 1800 lumen flood light, with batteries and a charger that'll get you about 8 hours of continuous run time. Battery changes are literally a SNAP.

I don't have this light, but their lantern maintains constant output, ie it does not step down. It just runs until it turns off. This may do the same, idk.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Along with the r50 from olight, check the srmini II out, USB rechargeable and a little slimmer to hold due to being a 3 cell light(over the thrunites). It actually feels real comfy and solid/dependable in hand which kicks out a useful wall of light. For turbo, she would have to press and hold the button, so no chance of it left on the side at full output.

Illum

Flashaholic
Back up for a second.

if her vision is poor... even 500 lumens might make it worse, alot worse. Over 1000 will be downright unusable except maybe the edge of the spill.

If there's a power outage the last thing she needs to do is to change batteries in the dark. Its like transferring 35mm film over to development reels in the dark, alot of fumbling, cursing, and dropping things. when it comes to lithium batteries, they don't like to be dropped or inserted backwards. If there's is a power outage, 50 lumens is ample. 100 is about as much light as you could possibly need. For me, my eyesight is shot, power outages typically only needs 10 lumens, and a runtime of 20+ hours.... like a fenix E01

She has arthritis... why are you suggesting a pop-can light if she gas trouble gripping? pop cans uses 3-4 18650s.... and they are not light to carry around. If she can't carry it around, chances are shes not going to be able to find it when she needs it if this was meant for a power outage. [Same goes for an EDC light/pistol, it is used to find/fight your way back to the heavy artillery when the-lights-go-out/poop-hits-the -fan]

Most rechargeable lights require her to insert a microUSB plug after unscrewing or uncapping the port opening. Are her dexterity capable of it? Sometimes microUSB insertions are tight.

On-off like a rocker type is impossible to find, all the lights with a rotary switch for modes may also employ a rear clickie. She may have to remember that more than one switch interface exists to operate the light.

A popular gift I give to older folk are Fenix E05s. In fact, I try to deviate away from secondary or primary lithiums if at all possible unless they are well versed in using them safely. A little more juice would probably be the E12. L/M/H, single AA.

Last edited:

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my mother a few lantern for power-outage (one for each room) and she love it more than a flashlight. Take a look at "lanterns" at cpf Forum-Beyond Flashlights-General Light Discussion-Lanterns for review which lantern you want.
And I gave her some "Emergency Power Failure LED Light" so she can see where her lanterns are, I like the "Ideal Security SK638 Emergency Power Failure LED Light"

ntalbot

Enlightened
I gave my mother a few lantern for power-outage (one for each room) and she love it more than a flashlight. Take a look at "lanterns" at cpf Forum-Beyond Flashlights-General Light Discussion-Lanterns for review which lantern you want.
And I gave her some "Emergency Power Failure LED Light" so she can see where her lanterns are, I like the "Ideal Security SK638 Emergency Power Failure LED Light"

I totally agree, but she wants what she wants, so I ended up getting her an Olight Mini II which she seems pretty happy with (thanks Ven).

Thank you for all your suggestions everyone. I got more responses than I expected and they were very well thought out.

arKmm

Enlightened
I guess we're past the days of giving ma-in-law a 4C Maglite....

I give non-flashaholic family members a Maglite (usually 4D) with XPG2 drop-in if they want a light. Does the job and requires no explanation or guidance. They just put batteries in and that's it.

Xader

Newly Enlightened
...I ended up getting her an Olight Mini II which she seems pretty happy with (thanks Ven).

The other cool thing about the Olight for an emergency light is that the blue ring (red on older ones) is glow-in-the-dark.

So as long as she stores it somewhere where it will get light while the power is on, then once the power goes out, there will be a blue (or red) glow to guide her to her emergency light. :twothumbs