• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Forum member "WHELMFLASH" is a THIEF., beware

Alpha33

Newly Enlightened
Beware of Forum member "WHELMFLASH", he is either a THIEF or suffers from absentmindedness.

I am also active on a Lego forum, and things are happening there, although it's becoming increasingly challenging. Besides PayPal, it seems that banks are now cooperating when you've been scammed.

It happened to me and a Lego friend from another country (Germany). We went to the bank with the evidence. The bank accounts of the scammers from France and Italy were immediately closed, and the funds were blocked after our complaint. Then they were asked if they wanted to return the money or if they believed they were in the right, but they had to provide proof. A tracking number, receipts.

We both got our money back. It took a while, but still. These were two separate cases.

I'm not sure if this applies to all countries or banks, but it's hopeful.
Then why won't you, WERNER H. (AKA whelmflash), follow through on our agreement. I honored my half of our agreement. I sent you my money, only $60 which isn't much but it leaves a bad taste nun the less. Yet I have received nothing and have heard practically nothing from you! It's been a month now, what say you.

You sent $60 to Werner H
Yahoo/Inbox​
  • 46372-c6686ee195f185480ac222b07a9504bf.png

Revolut
    www.revolut.com
    [email protected]
    To:

Wed, Nov 29 at 10:02 AM

46373-2b837c3d3244b61e9d878f84ba408579.png

You sent $60 to Werner H​

Hi there,
    You sent $60 to Werner H. You can find the details below:
    To
    Werner H
    Sent
    $60
    First payment Shipping Surefire

On
    29 November 2023, 15:02 UTC
    Join millions of Revolut customers who already transfer money in 30+ currencies.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I was always under the impression that the BST thread worked by way of an implicit honor code and mutual goodwill on the part of CPF members. Mistakes and miscommunication do happen but I'm unaware of anyone taking money with pure malicious intent. More info is necessary before passing judgement and my hope that it still can be resolved somehow.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Please link the CPF sales ad you got scammed?
From what I can tell Alpha33 posted a WTB ad for a Surefire R1 Lawman on November 26th.

There are no posts from whelmflash offering one or mentioning a price or a deal, only a thumbs up reaction to the WTB post.

So the only record of any dealings must be in their private messages, which is not usual protocol for BST. A public post on BST (esp. the sacred "I'll take it") is a kind of contract clarifying intent to buy or sell. This is conspicuously absent. Only Alpha33s post of a transfer receipt (29 Nov) of $60 for a "first payment", unclear of the agreed price. Protocol is usually pay in full an agreed price then seller is honor bound to ship it.

More info is needed.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
I think the answers are
No
Yes
No
and maybe

It seems clear since there were no postings in the BST thread that they arranged something via private message only. The seller being in Europe was sent funds via a service named Revolut which is unfamiliar to me. Then the seller went silent and never shipped the light. The accused seller has made no appearance here since. The buyer is understandably angry at the lack of any response or refund and there seems no recourse to resolve this or recover funds. It's a bad situation.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely need more info regarding transaction.

I had a WTB on a Peak switch and he (whelmflash) messaged me privately saying he will send it to me for free as long as I pay shipping. I passed just because I no longer needed it.

He also said to me he wanted to build up a good reputation here buying and selling. Very proper and seemed like a nice person via messages. Maybe something had happened to him.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed the first post has been moved to here from another thread " General guide how to protect against scammers ". Both the OP and the accused are newer members. It seems the dispute has spilled over to here for some reason.

Ocelot808

Enlightened
Both the OP and the accused are newer members. It seems the dispute has spilled over to here for some reason.
Spilled over here like vinyl chloride from the Palestine Ohio Derailment Disaster 2023. The OP started at least three identical threads about this issue in different subforums.

• Haha
Reactions: DRW

Alpha33

Newly Enlightened
I was only trying to warn others with my posts'. The thief gets' off scott free and I get raked across the coals. Guess I went about it the wrong way. Be that as it may, I'm out of here and done with this forum. Alpha33 out......

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is everyone dumping on Alpha, anyway? I've been here for 20 years and almost every transaction I've bought/sold here was done the same way his was, other than I've never heard of Revolut. Thankfully I've never been scammed. Even if he didn't follow "best practices" someone still took his money. It's not his fault unless he fell for an obvious scam, and we have no idea how sketchy the communication between the two sounded. The only red flag that's confirmed is using a money transfer service that hasn't been in the US for long.

I don't get it. A newer member (possibly) gets scammed by another newer member and everyone's saying he had it coming? I would've bailed on this place too if that happened to me.

So the only record of any dealings must be in their private messages, which is not usual protocol for BST. A public post on BST (esp. the sacred "I'll take it") is a kind of contract clarifying intent to buy or sell.
This is 100% the seller's/buyer's discretion. I've only ever posted in threads when the seller asked for it. Usually do business via PM.