Forward vs Reverse clicky & why?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a forward clicky on most of my lights because you can half press for momentary activation. You can also do half presses to cycle through modes and then full press to select the mode. Also, because the ability to have momentary activation, you can "strobe" to get attention or disorient the target, you can flash out morse code, or manually flash a beacon.

For some reason, however, I prefer reverse clicky on pen lights. I don't know why. I just do.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reverse. It's so easy and quick to cycle through modes and get to the one I want, without having to finagle with a secondary e-switch. Less parts to break, too.

Unless the ONLY one you want is High...but for just a second then again in a few seconds and possibly a few more seconds later but you want to hold it on for a minute.

This is why I prefer lights that have forward clickies that aren't necessarily tied in to switching output. I like "gas pedal" types as well and I can also make Olight's older style of "double-click to get turbo" to work for me too but in general I prefer to have an intuitive method of function. Press for light, press harder for more light. Release for no light. I just wish that my M2T functioned the same as my Warrior Mini.

Forward clicky always gets my vote.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any problem can be solved with math.

Statistics tells us that, on average, during his/her lifetime, a flashlight user changes modes approx 8.83 times per day. But that same flashlight user makes a decision to turn on a flashlight approx 0.59 times per day. With a forward clicky, you commit to a specific mode. With a reverse clicky, you commit to powering on your light.

Therefore, reverse clicky is the smarter choice. Because of the math.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Statistics tells us that, on average, during his/her lifetime, a flashlight user changes modes approx 8.83 times per day. But that same flashlight user makes a decision to turn on a flashlight approx 0.59 times per day. With a forward clicky, you commit to a specific mode. With a reverse clicky, you commit to powering on your light.

Which once again shows us, that math is evil.

The solution is clearly a single- or dual-output light with a forward clicky. And I'm sure there would be math to back up a claim that anything more than 2 modes is more than people need in the first place. I'm not gonna do that math.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually no momentary (unless there is a dedicated, secondary switch for it, which has other disadvantages). No travel. Parasitic drain. They just feel worse (my personal opinion).

Electronic switches are great for momentary – easy to press and hold (no heavy spring pressure) and if you press too hard you don't get constant on. And no, you don't need more than one switch, though there will be some parastic drain with a single electronic switch.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a light with a momentary electronic switch. It just doesn't seem like it would work well to me. The travel is too short to nonexistent and it would be too easy to activate. Are there any good, inexpensive options you can point me to so I can try it out? I'm at least willing to give it a shot, although I can't imagine I'll be impressed, or that it can hold a candle to a good forward clicky.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maglite's "cop mode" uses momentary, then high then what they call eco.
You press the button for as long as you want light. Let go when you want dark.
Click twice for max output.
Click three times to go to a useable amount of light between 33 and 58 lumens depending on the model.

Most of my ML50's and 300's are set on that mode. A quarter turn of the tailcap cuts the parasitic drain.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
You press the button for as long as you want light. Let go when you want dark.
Click twice for max output.
Click three times to go to a useable amount of light between 33 and 58 lumens depending on the model.

And here we already see the problem. Convoluted and impractical interfaces. To turn the light on, it is not simply enough to press the button all the way like it would be on a forward clicky, instead one has to double press it, and then triple press for 2nd mode. Not something I'd consider actually usable, or practical. I'm sure many will be fine with it, but I'm a person which is very particular regarding flashlight interfaces. If I can't pick it up and figure it out right away, If I need to look up how to use the light, there is something wrong with it. To me such lights are toys or gadgets, rather than functional tools. And having to lock-out a light to stop it from draining the battery is not a good look. Imagine needing it in a critical situation, just to find it not turning on, because you forgot it is locked-out.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Cant argue with that, but I love momentary so forward clickies for me.