Foursevens Preon Penlight (XP-G2, 2xAAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT, VIDEO and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
These are two factors that help satisfy me over getting fewer modes. Have you taken apart the head at all to see how it is put together? Any hope of future emitter swapping?
The head appears to be loctited, so I haven't opened it up. I'm sure it's possible to, with enough force and typical tricks (i.e., heating/freezeing).

Hopefully Foursevens will come out with a Neutral White XP-G2, while should take some of the pressure off DIY mods ... :whistle:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another splendid review, selfbuilt. Thanks! I agree completely with your observations... including that it makes more sense for a lower level high mode, giving us better efficiency, less heat, and longer runtime. While I do understand the manufacturer wanting the brightest Penlight around, it would have been more useful to make this a 5 level light, with Turbo, High, Medium, Low, and Moonlight modes, especially since they have included mode memory.

In any case, I love the beam profile, and with the addition of a tiny orange filter on the front glass cover (held on with a tiny piece of double-sided tape), the tint is nearly perfect. My only issue now is how to make the penlight a bit "grippyer", as it feels kind of slippery the way it is.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
My only issue now is how to make the penlight a bit "grippyer", as it feels kind of slippery the way it is.
Yes, I suppose that could be improved. I actually find this light pretty decent for grip - but that may be because I'm also thinking in terms of pens (many of which are more "slippery" than this Preon Penlight).

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I'm really liking mine. I'm not sure why. I feel like I don't have a real use for it, but I'm really enjoying it. Perhaps I didn't know that I actually do need it! At first I hated the switch, now I find it works just fine. It rides in my suit coat front pocket. I find it sags my dress shirt pocket too much.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really liking mine. I'm not sure why. I feel like I don't have a real use for it, but I'm really enjoying it. Perhaps I didn't know that I actually do need it!.

Well put Wilson, this was a real "sleeper" light for me - never liked penlights before, certainly didn't "need" one, and I wasn't expecting much. But this light just grows on ya..... still haven't returned to my usual 14500 EDC lights yet. Even using mine camping - floody beam works great for hands-free on my head/neck band rigs (just wish it had a moonlight mode).

thousandpointsoflight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for a very thorough review, as usual. I have been considering purchasing this light. However, based on the information you provided, I think I will spend my cash on a different light.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Thanks for a very thorough review, as usual. I have been considering purchasing this light. However, based on the information you provided, I think I will spend my cash on a different light.
Thanks for posting. People often write in when they find a review valuable in making a purchasing decision - but I am always glad to hear when they have been valuable in helping someone decide not to. My goal is to provide objective data and analysis, so its good to know that was of value to you.

And :welcome:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these lights a month or so ago...I carry a scanning device in a holster at work, and it has a couple slots for pens. I was using one of them for my Penlight, and I had a couple problems with accidental activation. It is fairly quick and easy to hit the switch, and even to switch modes (can cycle through all three modes in less than a second) and a couple times my batteries got mostly drained before I realized it was on. With that in mind, I decided to start carrying it locked out with a quarter turn, and only tighten it when I was about to use it. Two days later, I looked down, and the cap was missing...I was looking at the negative terminal of the battery (somehow this stayed in place, even after the cap fell off). This was an expensive mistake. Apparently the threads aren't nearly long enough to securely hold the Penlight, unless it is fully tightened. Something to be aware of...hopefully this won't happen to anyone else.

Any idea if you can buy just the cap/switch part? $50 for a Penlight was bad enough once, but I just can't see paying another fifty just to get a replacement tail cap.

greeny1

Newly Enlightened
I have the olight version of this, and I agree that the switch is very easily accidentally activated.

however I'm a bit puzzled on your lockout issues, when you say the cap fell off do you just mean the switch bit?, mine will not lock out using this but easily does unscrewing in the centre 1/4 a turn and there is plenty of safety Martin here with several full revolutions being required before the halves separate.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the olight version of this, and I agree that the switch is very easily accidentally activated.

however I'm a bit puzzled on your lockout issues, when you say the cap fell off do you just mean the switch bit?, mine will not lock out using this but easily does unscrewing in the centre 1/4 a turn and there is plenty of safety Martin here with several full revolutions being required before the halves separate.

No, it was a lot more than just the switch. Almost half the light is lost...the clip, upper half of the battery tube, and the switch portion (all one piece) fell off. I thought there was plenty of threading, too, but apparently not. That's why I wanted to warn people about the potential issue.

greeny1

Newly Enlightened
Right got you.

That's interesting cause I wouldn't have thought that should be an issue. Just checked mine and it takes just over 5 revolutions to come apart. Compaired to just over 3 on my zebra lights and just over 2 on my nitecore d11. I suspect that the size of the threads and slim nature of the light mean there is just not enough friction to prevent it revolving when subject to vibration, an extra couple of revolutions is not going to make any difference here. I guess trying to give the spring a bit more tension might be an option that could work if anyone else needs to lockout in this way.

i suspect you will not be able to pick up just this portion as it includes the electronics etc and would probably cost you near the full price.

the main thing I would change about this light is making the clip a bit stiffer as I don't have the confidence that I could leave it in my inner jacket pocket without falling out.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Foursevens Preon Penlight (XP-G2, 2xAAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT, VIDEO an...

The issue is that the o-ring is the very bottom of the tailcap and 1/2 turn effectively moves the tailcap off the o-ring leaving the tailcap free to spin, and off, as in the Doc's case. I'll only carry this light in a shirt or jacket beast pocket, or dedicated pen holder in a bag, where it's not likely to be clicked.

You can tighten the clip by removing it and bending it a bit more... my perfect clip tension test is when the light can support its own weight clipped to thin piece of receipt paper :).

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Foursevens Preon Penlight (XP-G2, 2xAAA) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOT, VIDEO an...

The issue is that the o-ring is the very bottom of the tailcap and 1/2 turn effectively moves the tailcap off the o-ring leaving the tailcap free to spin, and off, as in the Doc's case.

Thanks for the additional explanation. I think the lube I used didn't help, either. I used Nyogel, which is pretty thin, and does make the cap VERY easy to turn. In the past, I've used a cheap silicone grease, which offered greater resistance when unscrewing a cap (smooth, but still required more effort). I've already ordered another Penlight...it is just so cool...but I'm thinking I might only carry it if I have the right clothes/pack, rather than carrying it all the time. This is turning into an expensive light!

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
I just got one, was really excited to get it.. But! It was DOA. Used eneloops, positive side towards the head, assembled the light and nada.

Used two sets of envelops and same results. Tried the supplied durawcells and same results.

Got a refund and that's that. Maybe I'll try down the road again.

BrightEye

Newly Enlightened
I just got one, was really excited to get it.. But! It was DOA. Used eneloops, positive side towards the head, assembled the light and nada.

Used two sets of envelops and same results. Tried the supplied durawcells and same results.

Got a refund and that's that. Maybe I'll try down the road again.

I've been having a lot of problems with mine when using Eneloops (have not tried regular alkalines). I've read the exposed sides down by the negative terminal on Eneloops can touch the sides and cause the switch to be bypassed. Is anyone using Eneloops successfully? The build quality seems great but if I can't use Eneloops it's going back.

Maybe I got a bad one like you? I think I'm definitely exchanging this one and if the next one does the same thing I'll just return it altogether.

N_N_R

Enlightened
Mine also flickered and I was told that it's because of the eneloops I used...........................................................

BrightEye

Newly Enlightened
Mine also flickered and I was told that it's because of the eneloops I used...........................................................

That's so odd. A lot of people report they're using Eneloops just fine. I know they have slight changes throughout each generation but they all have the 1-2mm exposed at the bottom on the negative side.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use Eneloops in mine and it's fine.... I do get the occasional flickering on high, but loosen and tighten tailcap a bit harder and it's fine.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a problem with flicker on my first light...eventually it stopped working altogether, and I sent it back. That one had bad flicker with both Eneloops and alkaline Duracell AA.

The second one was flawless, until I lost half of it (had it locked out with a tail-cap twist, and it eventually spun free and the whole top/clip/switch fell off, another thing to be wary of).

The third one has a minor flicker occasionally (with Eneloops, haven't tried alkalines), but loosening and tightening the tailcap has always fixed that.

Frankly, I'm starting to wonder if they had a bad batch. We really shouldn't have to mess around with it...it should just work, all the time. I do really like the form factor, but overall I can't say I've been terribly happy with my Penlight experience so far.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm, I've had about 6 of them, most purchased on great sales at various points since they were introduced - I find it to be a great gift light for non-flashaholics. Course, other than full functionality testing on Eneloops when I first receive them, I don't use the gift lights.

They seem to have been very consistent from my samples.