Fraen "NX" Optic Replacements are AWESOME!!

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fraen

Can't wait to see this 15W flashlight you have planned. gonna have to be bigger than a 2D I'd say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Unless you like 5minute runtimes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast

Slick, you may have found my "savior" optic. I have several colored LED heads, including a RB that just projects the die using an NX01 and all sorts of junk with an NX05. I would be very interested in getting my paws on at least one of these to try. I will try to be as patient as possible... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

LEDependent

Enlightened

About your 15w mod... where would you get the juice for three 5w? Isn't that ~2.1 amps? I guess a couple of D's could do that... Also, what lens should I use to produce a pencil-thin beam on a 5w Luxeon? I'm talking 6-8 degrees. 30mm? NX-05/01? Acrylic ball?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

You won't get a pencil thin beam even with a reflector. This is due to the large size of the 5W die. You will, however, get a meaty and thick beam and a very useful tightish hotspot.

Wilkey

I personally don't prefer the 30mm or NX optics with a 5W HD.

highlandsun

Enlightened

So just out of curiosity, why do all these LEDs have domes on them in the first place? If there was no dome, wouldn't you just get a pencil beam that was exactly the diameter of the LED die?

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*

[ QUOTE ]
highlandsun said:
So just out of curiosity, why do all these LEDs have domes on them in the first place? If there was no dome, wouldn't you just get a pencil beam that was exactly the diameter of the LED die?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of the wave nature of light, the light emitted goes out in all directions. The only way it would stay in a coherent "pencil beam" would be if the light was collimated like in a laser. Even then, it wouldn't work since there is more than one wavlength present, whereas a laser is a specific wavelength. At least that's the layman's way I understand it.

highlandsun

Enlightened

Thanks LedModMan. That's what I figured as well. So the next question - the spherical shape of the Lambertian dome probably doesn't alter the die's emission pattern at all, does it? So why is it spec'd as a 120 degree beam spread, instead of 180 which is what the die itself would spread?

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
highlandsun said:
Thanks LedModMan. That's what I figured as well. So the next question - the spherical shape of the Lambertian dome probably doesn't alter the die's emission pattern at all, does it? So why is it spec'd as a 120 degree beam spread, instead of 180 which is what the die itself would spread?

[/ QUOTE ]

Howard, you are correct that the dome on the Lambertian does not significantly affect the emission pattern. That 120 degree value [I am assuming that you are talking about the white 5W here] is the "viewing angle" which is defined as the angle at which the intensity falls to 1/2 its peak value. A "perfect" lambertian distribution does fall to 0.5 intensity at 120 degree viewing angle.

LEDependent

Enlightened

Thanks, Ginseng, that answered my question... I was referring to a cyan 5w, which IS one wavelength. I'd be just fine with a 'meaty' beam with a long throw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beretta - I think you're going to like this optic. While not entirely artifact-free, they do a MUCH better job of concealing the image of the emitters die.

LEDependent - The 15W project will be 3 low Vf 5W white HD's. I may plan to drive them with converters and hope to keep heat managable in this footprint. Hopefully I won't have to relegate the light to intermittant use (unless I choose to under-drive it).

I understand that Elektrolumens builds the "tri-lens" using 1W luxeons into a Smith&Wesson light for extra room in the bezel. I may go this route (S&W light), however I'm looking into having a Mag bezel machined deeper if possible. The exterior on the bezel will be cut with grooves to increase surface area to help deal with the heat. Hopefully I'll be able to get it re-anodized HA 3.

If this doesn't pan out, I'll have to look for a larger host or may have to have something made to fit an existing body.

Oh yeah... I think the 30mm optic is as close to "pencil beam" as you are going to find. Searching for a reflector might turn up something better.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
LEDependent said:
Thanks, Ginseng, that answered my question... I was referring to a cyan 5w, which IS one wavelength.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, you'd be surprised. Monochromatic LEDs actually emit in the full spectrum, they just have a big spike in one region.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent review. The 0.3" difference should be just enough for an extra 1mm lens or glass substrate to fit in the mclux or arc greys. Can't wait to get my hands on a few.

Cheers.