Freezing my lights...

IcantC

Enlightened
So I got bored and decided to test the waterproofness and cold performance of my lights.

I used 2 lights
1) Jetbeam C-LE V2(clicky)
2) Fenix E0
I wanted to try the A2, but didn't have spare CRs on me(just ordered some with lighthound).

I took a Gatorade bottle for each, filled it with water, turned the light on low and dropped it in. Closed the lid and left in the freezer for 3 hours.

After 3 hours, both were frozen solid in ice with the light still on and functioning. I should have let them sit for perhaps a few more hours to extend the test.

I melted the ice by running hot water on the bottles and took the lights out. Both were dry on the inside and were still running.

Not really sure what I accomplished or hoped to accomplish haha.:D:eek:

I would leave them for a few days, but then the batteries will run out on low :-/.

Burgess

Flashaholic
That certainly does sound like an interesting test. :thumbsup:

A much better "torture test" than simply
dunking it in a water glass at room temperature.

And a Great Idea doing this with the light turned ON !

:twothumbs

_

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
Very cool. I wonder what would malfunction first, the led bulb or the li ion batteries that freeze at -40 C if you were to do a freeze test.

IcantC

Enlightened
That certainly does sound like an interesting test. :thumbsup:

A much better "torture test" than simply
dunking it in a water glass at room temperature.

And a Great Idea doing this with the light turned ON !

:twothumbs

_

Thanks, I wanted to try with the Incans to see what would happen. Sadly the only Incans I have do not have long enough runtime to be frozen and still be running. Perhaps I will freeze water in the bottle, break it and then throw in the Incan.

Only incans I have that might fit are the A2 and Z2.

Very cool. I wonder what would malfunction first, the led bulb or the li ion batteries that freeze at -40 C if you were to do a freeze test.

Oh as for betteries, I used an Eneloop in the Jetbeam and the E0 had a E2 lithium, BUT I replaced with some cheapie AAA for the test.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
You accomplished something, a real-world torture test for these two popular lights. I'm sure there are some lesser lights that would have failed. Anyone want to try the hose test next.

Latest posts