Front White Blinking Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

angerdan

Enlightened
Say.....200 - 400 Lumens during daylight hrs should be enough ?
I will just have to make sure its Bright enough to be seen.
Yes, to bee seen >150lm will be enough. It also depends on the reflector size and the beam angle (>reflector / >beam angle = < blinding).

DavidAD

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix BT-20 that I use a daylight flasher. I have had people stop me and ask about the light, so I guess it does the job.

lml999

Newly Enlightened
New forum member here, 40+ year cyclist.

I'm a bit surprised that the Blackburn Flea 2.0 gets so little mention on the forum. I've been using the front and rear lights for daytime visibility since they first came out. Small, bright, relatively cheap, rechargeable.

Turns out they've been replaced by a new light, the 2'FER. Blackburn is sending me a couple as warranty replacements for dead Fleas.

I found the conversation about blinking lights throwing off distance perception (for oncoming drivers) interesting.

Thanks!

chenmiao

Banned
Thanks....I have thought that a Blinking or Flashing front white light was the right thing to use for DAY use.So your suggesting that I just use a Solid White light for my front Day light ?I thought that a Flashing White light would attract more attention and make you more noticeable.Guess I could just stick with my BC30...I like that light a lot also....just a tad big but a Great light.Thanks

Is it necessary to use a White Front Running light during the DAY ?
I always have my Back Red Blinker on during the day but what about the front light ?

Flashing mode is quiet normal with many bike lights. It's more enery saving and efficient to attract people's eyes. Maybe you can try ALLTY1000.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading all the RCW's linked, I still wasn't sure so I called the local Bike Tech store. The person that answered the phone assured me flashing front lights are legal in Washington state.
He sells them, doesn't he?

The laws describing permitted flashing lights do not describe flashing front lamps for bicycles. The laws that prohibit flashing lamps do not exempt flashing front lamps for bicycles.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the 90's when I was riding motorcycles I came across a Kriss Industries headlight modulator. Many bicycle lights now operate with a flashing mode for the simple reason that your eyes and attention will pick up an alternating light/beam faster and at a greater distance than a steady one.
I recently sold a Mk9 Toro from Exposure Lights UK that had a flashing mode and it is the best on a bicycle I ve had. Not cheap but I put equipment like this in the how much is my life worth comparison.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in the 90's when I was riding motorcycles I came across a Kriss Industries headlight modulator.
There is no real data showing that they prevent accidents.

Being 'spotted' or 'drawing attention' is not the same as being properly identified and having your speed and heading properly estimated. Flashing lights can also be a source of confusion. Turn signals and hazard lights flash for a reason. Tail and stop lamps and headlamps are steady for a reason.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no real data showing that they prevent accidents.

Being 'spotted' or 'drawing attention' is not the same as being properly identified and having your speed and heading properly estimated. Flashing lights can also be a source of confusion. Turn signals and hazard lights flash for a reason. Tail and stop lamps and headlamps are steady for a reason.

I think you ll find there is actually plenty of information and plenty of discussion some for, some against, and many who have no clue because they haven't been in a situation where they were seriously injured, killed, or "almost" wiped out because somebody pulled out in front of them. I have been in that situation on numerous occasions and had close calls but been lucky... The DOT allowed the use of them several years ago and it's a federal law. While it doesn't help one to judge your distance it's not meant for that. It's meant to get attention and let "someone " know you're there. Why don't you cross a train crossing when a train is coming if there are no crossing gates or lights? Trains use alternating beams in the headlight, or they do where I come from ...
if someone pulls out in front of you with a flashing or alternating beam, then they were doing something else besides looking at the road because these devices will get your attention.
They are there for added safety.

In addition there are regulations relating to frequency and other specific requirements so they do not pose a danger to someone with say epilepsy.
There are many factors and it's a topic which could be discussed for a long time but they are very beneficial for their intended purpose and work very well if understood and used properly.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you ll find there is actually plenty of information and plenty of discussion some for, some against, and many who have no clue because they haven't been in a situation where they were seriously injured, killed, or "almost" wiped out because somebody pulled out in front of them.
The plural of anecdote is not data. There is no *data* supporting their safety benefit.

The DOT allowed the use of them several years ago and it's a federal law.
Due to very heavy lobbying by the manufacturers.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
the simple reason that your eyes and attention will pick up an alternating light/beam faster and at a greater distance than a steady one
That is not the case. You and many others might consider this obvious or "common sense", but it is not borne out by rigorous research on the matter.

VRUs (vulnerable road users -- motorcyclists, bicyclists, pedestrians) face real and legitimate extra danger on the road compared to occupants of cars, trucks, buses, etc. So VRUs come up with many ideas they're sure will help. Flashing (pulsing, blinking, "modulating") headlamps and brake lights, many different kinds and colors of add-on lights, etc. There is no science or factual basis behind the overwhelming majority of these ideas, yet they get picked up and passed along among clubs and advocacy groups, who in turn lobby to get them written into the relevant codes and regulations, then marketers come along and point to the code and say "SEE! It's even in the codes and regulations!". It's an echo-chamber feedback loop. The trouble, again, is that these ideas do not work. They do not reduce the likelihood of a VRU being hit in traffic, and no amount of "I can tell cars totally don't pull out in front of me any more ever since I started using it" types of stories change that. In fact, these kinds of "common sense" ideas often make things worse: they reduce safety (or at best don't improve it), yet they make the VRU feel safer, and so their behavior changes. Not necessarily on purpose, not necessarily "I don't have to be as careful because I have my [whatever lighting gadget or configuration]", this kind of risk homeostasis/compensation is an unfortunate part of how the human mind works, without our conscious input on the matter.

As for that claim about a "simple reason": No. None of this is simple. Human perception and effective human perception are very complex. Many aspects of whether and how quickly and accurately we see, identify, and recognize something are ferociously complicated and counterintuitive to say the least.

Back to the subject at hand: the blinking lights were originally put on the market as a sort of band-aid over the fact that they couldn't put out a lot of light. Now we have extremely powerful and efficient LEDs and associated optics, so that band-aid is no longer necessary or helpful. A blinking front white bicycle light is fine if you feel you must have one, if it is right next to a steady-burning white light of at least equal intensity. You really need the steady-burning light, front and rear, so drivers can quickly and accurately attain and keep track of your position relative to theirs. A blinking light without a steady light severely degrades the speed and accuracy at which a moving driver can and will attain and keep track of you.

In the rear, a blinking light is not a wise idea -- not now that we have some really good bicycle rear lights with automatic brake light and tail light capability. That's what to get, to provide the most detailed status report in real time to those you're on the road with, so they have the best possible, clearest possible information to avoid hitting you. Don't muddy the message with an unnecessary, unhelpful blinking light back there.

Finally: remember the side view (amber light shining left and right, preferably at the front and back of the bike) and the reflectors: white front, red rear, and make sure to use the tires that have a built-in retroreflective sidewall stripe.

Status
Not open for further replies.