Fully Compressed Spring is an issue?

Marquis07

Newly Enlightened
I figured out that one of my magnets fits perfectly inside my TC15 tailcap, inside the recess where the spring would go. I really like this idea, except the spring now sits on top of the magnet, and it's almost fully compressed when I put my cell in it. Is this an issue for the cell? In theory, there is no longer a cushion if the light falls on it's tail, but there's none at the front anyways.

Thanks,
Mark

…In theory, there is no longer a cushion if the light falls on its tail, but there's none at the front anyways.
I would think it's worse if there's no spring at the front. If there was a spring in the front, then it could compensate for the loss of cushion in the tail.

3_gun

Enlightened
I'd match the thickness of the magnet to the spring & clip the spring where it meets the height of the magnet. I'd guess the spring would still center well enough to make contact with the battery & the magnet will still complete the circuit even if the spring doesn't touch the tail cap any longer. If you did have an issue a spot of solder would fix it easy enough.

Marquis07

Newly Enlightened
I would think it's worse if there's no spring at the front. If there was a spring in the front, then it could compensate for the loss of cushion in the tail.
Yeah, I thought about putting the spring at the front, except there's no good way to attach it that I know of. As far as the cushion idea goes, having a single spring on the front or back would only stop the battery from slamming one way, so it's 50/50 if it would do anything, right?
I'd match the thickness of the magnet to the spring & clip the spring where it meets the height of the magnet. I'd guess the spring would still center well enough to make contact with the battery & the magnet will still complete the circuit even if the spring doesn't touch the tail cap any longer. If you did have an issue a spot of solder would fix it easy enough.
The magnet and a single wire thickness is all that fit behind the cell. Even if I did clip the spring, I think I'd have the same issue of it being fully compressed. Actually, I used a wider spring than the original, so I get direct contact with the tailcap along with better continuity.

Does metal continuity matter that much? In future projects, would it make that much of a difference if I used something that was a poor conductor like nickel, tin, etc?

Attachments

• 20230808_162029.jpg
    20230808_162029.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230808_162010.jpg
    20230808_162010.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230808_162101.jpg
    20230808_162101.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 67