Fun with computer hardware and support

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
KevinL said:
Make it a point to thank these people - I specifically asked that she convey my appreciation to her supervisor as well for being flexible. This is good support and service and should be appreciated.

Thanks for pointing this out, Kevin. That's a thankless job and it helps to keep them motivated when they realize that their efforts are appreciated, especially when they reach a little bit out-of-the-box for the customer.

Corrosion

Newly Enlightened
PhotonWrangler said:
To a certain extent this can be true, but if "making the numbers" is actually more important than actually helping the customer (which in turn reduces callbacks), then there needs to be a regime change. This shortsighted thinking costs a company more money in the long run.

Apparently not, not a single person here has said "and then I cancelled my service."

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got an HP laptop for my birthday and I called in because I couldnt get online. AN idiot Indian guy picked up my call and he helped me fix it. Then he told me to give him my credit card number.[which I dont have].. Hmm... HECK NO..

"No, I dont want to buy your software."
"Could I please have your credit card number"
"No"
"Ok, then dont call again, I cant help you anymore"
"Bye"

WTF!

HP has problems.

-tom

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
We had chronic connection problems with our ADSL line at work and it was related to the poor service from SBC/Ameritech in supplying us with stable voice and data lines. We averaged one dead phone line per month and the internet connection died three times in one summer for about 5 days each.

It got to the point that I had to tell customer service I knew it was their system because it failed last week or whenever. It appears they repair broken wire with scotch tape and replace a faulty DSLAM card only at gunpoint.

The last failure before we ditched them completely for voice and data (now Digital T1 from Time Warner, no SBC at all) was fixed quickly because I downloaded a program called look@lan that allows graphical pinging of IP addresses and shows the number of drops in the pings. That convinced them there was a connection error in their wiring from our building to the ISP's setup.

The thing that toasts me the most is when I have repeated outages, they have no records of any outages or reports by me or anyone. Then they are outraged when I suggest they are not logging them to keep from looking like the system is bailing wire and duct taped together.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Years ago we bought a Gateway. After a week or so it arrived. Didn't work. Nothing running. No sounds. No lights. :huh2: . Opened it up. Surprise. Power supply not connected. Connectors are not just loose. They are not connected at all. Jumpers missing. Hmmm. Hey, look! Several screws missing from various parts and boards. Neat. Three screws loose on top of power supply and the 120v connection (let's not fire it up just yet).

OK. All loose parts secured. Cables and jumpers are good to go. Loose parts removed. QC, indeed. Hmmm. Let's fire it up. Hmmm. Software install problems. 12 hours go by and not running up to speed yet. Need a break. Go out for a beer. Wife decides to jump in and help. Doesn't get anywhere. Calls Tech Support. "You need to reformat the harddrive..." I come back. 12 hours work down the tubes. Hmmm. :ohgeez:

Several hours later (spread over several days) and the computer actually runs. Start loading music files on drive. Start installing my software. Runs OK, but sometimes slow. Verrrrryyy ssllloooooowwww. Hmmm. A few weeks go by. Lots of software and my tunes loaded. POS as the computer is now called starts to freeze a once in a while. Then often. Then a lot. Warranty period is getting near end. Hmmm. POS crashes and burns ("Oh, the humanity..."). :faint:

Call Tech Support. Wait for an hour and a half. Couldn't be their problems. Jumpers and nylon connectors must have worked loose in shipping. Software cannot be a problem of theirs. Must be my fault. They say gotta send it back to them. By UPS. $40+. Plus service fees. On my dime. Still on full warranty. Will not be accepted at their storefront. Hmmm. Nope. Ain't happenin'. Gimme a return number so it can be sent back and get a refund. Can't do that. Will only get part of money back. May I speak with a supervisor, please? Can't do that. Gimme a supervisor, please. Can't do that. Gimmee a supervisor, now, please. Can't do that. Gimmee a supervisor, please, you A%%HOLE! :rant: I'll have to get my supervisor if you keep talking like that. Hmmm.

Can't just take it back to storefront. Has to be UPS'd back. My dime. Please get me your customer service manager. Click. Hmmm. Next version of the above phone call ends with me suggesting NY State Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau will be interested in hearing all of this. Surprise. Get put right through to customer service manager. Says computer was put together at subcontractor in Virginia. Lots of problems with them. Not our fault. I feel your pain (Not yet, you don't!). Could I send it back via UPS? My dime. Hmmm. Ain't gonna happen. Mention Attorney General & BBB again. Surprise! UPS Return Authorization Number & labels to be mailed out. Several weeks later they actually arrive. Tempted to heave the POS through the sorefront window but don't. Wife takes it into UPS. Says three other people in line to send their Gateway back for the same reason. Hmmm. POS gets shipped back.

Credit card refund after only a few more weeks. Month or two actually. Hmmm. Phone rings. Did I like my Gateway? Not particularly. Oh... click. Few days later. Phone rings. Hello. I'm with a third party customer service group 'cause Gateway has a few issues and got outside customer service help. Gasp! Really? We understand you were not satisfied with your Gateway. Half hour later the survey is complete. The very nice lady says I was treated horribly. Tsk. Can't do a thing about it and isn't that a shame? Tsk. Thank you for shopping with Gateway. Click.

Gateway Customer Service Survey arrives a month later. Sent that back with a bit of steam wisping out of the envelope. Still getting advertisements asking me to buy another Gateway. Lemme see. Nope. Hell still hasn't frozen over yet. :ironic:

Did get a locally built computer for the kid, though. No proprietarial hardware or software problems and can actually talk to a service tech who lives in the same area, let alone hemisphere. I can actually walk in and talk to a person face to face. Holy Moly! :naughty:

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Oh, btw,

I no longer do business with Cingular. Same for T-mobile. Overall inept with bad policies. I stick with Verizon only because of the technology and coverage. Most of these companies have set up barriers to changing to other providers. This is especially true with the cell phone and banking industries.

There are policy problems and there are people problems. If it's a bad TS person, you may get proper service later and you can always send in a letter of complaint.. If the policies suck, it's time to move on.

Daniel

Latest posts