G-shock Tough solar problem

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting thread here.

I have a related question / problem . . . .

My Casio G-Force wristwatch, GW-M5600 (module 3063) is 16 months old,

and i've just noticed the display will "fog" internally on left side (only)

if held in front of an Air Conditioner duct for a few minutes. :sick2:

This happened during a car ride yesterday.

Does this indicate it has suffered Water Damage ? ? ?

Never been any deeper than washing my hands in the sink,
so i oughta' be safe in THAT regard, right ?

What is the Casio warranty period, for this watch ? (i bought it thru Amazon)

Is this something which can be "repaired" ?

Or does it hafta' be replaced ?

I like everything about this watch, so i'm really not happy
about finding a Replacement.

Thank you, everyone, for any assistance you can provide me here.

:thanks:
_

Your watch should have that covered under their 10 year warranty. Atleast that is what I read in the manual.

CptDesoya

Newly Enlightened
I guess Im one of the lucky few. Ive had my atomic solar for a couple years now and have never had an issue. In fact I abuse mine pretty bad.

After reading all these posts Ill probably stop throwing it in the dishwasher every couple weeks to clean it.

Kordo

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps with solar (and any other watches) you need to consider this:
- if normal watch is abused, the battery just gets replaced and noone will hear about this.
- you really should not leave your watch on the sun. The heat WILL destroy the secondary battery.
- you should not deplete (completely discharge) the secondary battery. It WILL destroy the secondary battery.
The more age the watch (battery) gets, the less is the capacity. It means, when exposed to the light, the battery stays full - but using eg backlight will empty it at once.

There are of course more:
- using backlight VERY often will prematurely age the battery;
- in hot climate the battery will age faster (the same as with car batteries).

abrahamlingkon

Newly Enlightened
I want to know more information about watch.Can help me anybody?If anybody help me i will be highly great full to you...............

drewsands

Newly Enlightened
This is an old thread but since someone dug it up I will comment:

The solar models use a lithium Ion battery, LiIon lifespan is sensitive to overcharge and over discharge. I imagine there isn't a very good circuit in the watch to prevent these from happening.

It would take an extra ordinary effort to overcharge one of these watches though, it takes about 12-18 hrs in full direct summer sun to fully charge it. That doesn't mean wearing it outside either, it means leaving it outside pointing at the sun for a couple days in a row. (don't forget to readjust it every couple hours to track the sun) Alternatively you can place it 8" under a 30w florescent for 120hrs!

DO NOT replace the LiIon battery with a regular Li battery. The watch will try to charge it. This will cause the cell to leak or possible burst.

PS Above times were from combination of Casio and Eco Drive manuals.

Use a CR1616 it will not burst that is to funny. I know of many people using the cr1616 for 3 plus years me for one.

bandaid

Newly Enlightened
The exact same thing happened to my just over year old GW300. Guess that shot down one of the main reasons for getting it in the first place (no maintenance). At least I had an out as it was purchased at Costco, and they have a great return policy. I need a new beater watch for work, and would like to give another "Tough Solar" G-Shock a shot, but needless to say, I'm a little hesitant.

I just bumped into this thread.
I've also got an old GW300 from Costco.
Something like $45, value you can't even find these days.
Still ticking like brand new.
Every time I see it drop down to MED battery life. I always take it to the window sill and charge it back up.

Teknyc

Newly Enlightened
My solar watch lasted 4 months. It's damn hard to find a number to the company. Dealers want to charge half the price of my watch for my batt replacement. Aargh!!!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Almost three years now, still working?

StarHalo --

Yes, my watch is still working Just Fine !

Don't know WHY it had that "fogged" condition 1.5 years ago,
but I have NOT noticed it for more than a year now.

(knock on wood)

I really love this watch, and if i Lost it tomorrow,
would immediately order another one !

:)
_

Burgess

Flashaholic
By the way . . . .

I bought mine 3/2009, for 86 dollars.

Just checked (same vendor), and it is now 150 dollars !

:eek:
_

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Semibump...
I have the Casio GW5600J (solar/waveceptor) for two years now. Power bars read 2/3 when I unpacked it. First day in the sun and it's been 3/3 ever since, despite my nocturnal lifestyle. The sleep mode probably accounts for the extra low battery drain. The only issue I have is being so far from Colorado it's not good at receiving the time signal, which requires finding an open outdoor location and letting it sit motionless for the required several minutes. Anything other than a continuous 3/3 reception for those minutes and the watch will read ERR (error).
I have the same watch (Casio GW5600J), it is my favorite watch that I have ever owned (but I'm not a watch collector or anything). My power bars read 2/3 a couple of days after I got it and I was slightly concerned. The sun was terrible that time of year, so I left it in the window for 2 days with terrible sun on overcast days and it has stayed at 3/3 bars ever since. I have had the watch about 4 months. I think the battery concerns are a thing of the past, resulting from defective/poor performing cells IIRC (I think I read they even changed the labeling of the cell).

Additionally, I would estimate that my watch syncs 95% (or more) of the time when it does the automatic sync every night. I leave the watch on my wrist while I sleep (I am about 1300 miles away). The manual sync is not as easy in my experience, I think this may be due to interference from my cell phone (usually in my pocket when I try a manual sync) and other interference that is increased during the daytime. I did notice that the manual says the receiving indicator clears everyday at 2AM, mine clears at 1AM. I am assuming this is just a typo in the manual, as I referenced other similar Gshocks and they seem to reset at 1AM.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Yes or no: G-Shock Mini

gshockmini04.jpg

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good with the negative display, but I have become very fond of my solar and atomic functions. Aren't the mini and baby G's womens watches?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Minis are being advertised in the US as women's watches, but are billed as unisex everywhere else. Kind of silly since some of the available color schemes are obviously not feminine..

gshockmini2.jpg

Last edited:

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wondered why they do that, they market the mini and the baby as womens for some reason. A lot of the Gshocks seem too big, that's why I like my GW5600J, not very clunky/flashy and not big. I hope they come out with a negative display with solar/atomic feature, I'd like to own another Gshock.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, for some reason those aren't on the U.S. page, I don't know why they only release certain models in Europe, Japan, etc...