G2® LED impression this is one extreme....

Size15's

Flashaholic
...I have got to tell you this NITROLON stuff is a very dense material. I doubt it is glass filed but it may mot need to be it is HARD maybe just as hard as aluminum.
I don't know for sure but it is HARD tough stuff.
Why do you doubt it?
SureFire state that their Nitrolon is a proprietary high-strength, non-conductive, impact-resistant, glass-filled polyamide nylon polymer. "Glass-filled" means that the polymer matrix has been mixed with fine
glass fibers that add rigidity, abrasion resistance, and increased stability at higher temperatures.

The G2 doesn't have the same set of accessories like switch options and head options.
Whilst there are one or two TailCaps (such as the Z41 'standard' LockOut TailCap, can't think of another non-classic WeaponLight TailCap at the moment) that don't fit the Nitrolon bodies, all the Clickie TailCaps do.

All bezels that fit the 6P also fit the Nitrolon bodies.

Al

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are great lights. One difference between the two is that the 6PL uses a Pyrex (glass) lens, the G2L uses a Lexan (plastic) lens...even the aluminum head version. What I love is that 3.7V rechargeable 123's can be used with no problem, since the LED modules can take up to 9V input. I bought both the 6PL and G2L, but recently sold the G2L. I wish I kept it though now that it's winter, that Nitrolon would feel much better than the cold aluminum of the 6PL! :ohgeez:

Garand

Newly Enlightened
I use AA rechargeables in some of my lights. They have a longer run time than regular alkaline batteries.

If I go with CR123 recharables in my G2L can I expect the same thing?

dizzy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why does my G2L have a nitrolon head instead of the aluminum one as stated in first OP post? Did I get mine too soon?:)

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dizzy,

From another post about the G2L......

Personally, I think the aluminum head on a Nitrol body looks ridiculous! :thumbsdow

If you're worried about heatsinking, get a 6P.

MSax

Be glad you have the all Nitrol version. :wave:

MSax

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
My leggo plans go like this:

The P6L gives up it's body for my "Chopped" KL3 (LUXIII of VERY nice tint and a mop reflector). It really needs a 3 cell body for proportion... (Anyone got a spare?)

The P60L probably ends up in my Pelican M6.

The Aluminum P6 bezel goes on my black G2 with whichever is brighter between DX Cree and DX SSC.

And my green G2 gets the other module.

There could be a change in that the "second" DX module ends up in the P M6 and the P60L in the green G2.

It all hinges on if there is a P6L under the tree.

If not it will take longer.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size 15. Thanks for filling us/me in. I had attempted to fit the incompatible LOTC tail switche and since it failed I assumed (incorrectly) that the all aluminum switches did not work. Yesterday I successfully installed a z48 clunker clicky. It does work fine.

The concept of metal reinforced plastic is not new nor are glass filled polymers. None of these are new technologies. But they are good technologies. I assume the metal tube in the G2 is a dual porpose aspect of the design strength and common ground.
I can only assume that since these "plastic" parts are molded that they are less expensive to make than their aluminum counterparts.

I do have a question for you. Doesn't sending the G2L out with an aluminum head defeat the purpose of the G2 (economy)? Isn't using the plastic a cost saving measure? Throwing an aluminum head on the G2L must bump the cost of the light up quite a bit.
I have run my G2L for well over 20 minutes (with the P60L) at a time and the unit barely gets warm. Either the system is not good at moving heat or there is not much heat being generated. My P60l seems to be generating LESS heat than a stock P60 (incandescant globe) which run fine in my stock all plasic g2.

My point is Why did Surefire go to the extra expense of supplying an aluminum head when it's utility may be limited?

I like the all plastic G2.

Has anybody studied the ability of the nitrolon to move heat? What the difference is in heat generation between the LED P60L and the Incan P60? I suspect the P60 makes more heat.

In any event the G2 resally is as I said extreemely heavy duty. The Nitrolon material is very impressive. With the exception of water resistance (it may be fine for all I know but I am not ultra confident that the head will hold back much water), The G2 is a flashlight which will take years of abuse.
BTW I got a Promo G2 from the shot show CPF party from a few years ago which I will allways keep. It is unique in it's own special way.

Please forgive the use of the word plastic as I use it interchangeably with the word polymer.

Yaesumofo

Why do you doubt it?
Surefire state that their Nitrolon is a proprietary high-strength, non-conductive, impact-resistant, glass-filled polyamide nylon polymer. "Glass-filled" means that the polymer matrix has been mixed with fine
glass fibers that add rigidity, abrasion resistance, and increased stability at higher temperatures.

Whilst there are one or two TailCaps (such as the Z41 'standard' Lockout TailCap, can't think of another non-classic WeaponLight TailCap at the moment) that don't fit the Nitrolon bodies, all the Click TailCaps do.

All bezels that fit the 6P also fit the Nitrolon bodies.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
I do have a question for you. Doesn't sending the G2L out with an aluminum head defeat the purpose of the G2 (economy)? Isn't using the plastic a cost saving measure? Throwing an aluminum head on the G2L must bump the cost of the light up quite a bit.
The assumption here is that SureFire wanted to make a lower-priced flashlight and so found a lower-cost material with which to make it.
There is another point of view:
SureFire wanted to make a polymer flashlight and it just so happened it meant they didn't have to charge as much for it, making it a lower-priced flashlight.

I know that PK does not consider Nitrolon in anyway a compromise material - there is nothing 'cheap' about it. In some ways it is better than aluminium.

I have run my G2L for well over 20 minutes (with the P60L) at a time and the unit barely gets warm.
Either the [Nitrolon] system is not good at moving heat or there is not much heat being generated.
Emphasis mine.
My P60l seems to be generating LESS heat than a stock P60 (incandescant globe) which run fine in my stock all plasic g2.
This is certainly the case - incandescents produce significantly more heat than LEDs. Most of the output is 'thermal'. Only a small fraction is visible light.

My point is Why did Surefire go to the extra expense of supplying an aluminum head when it's utility may be limited?
I think the thermal utility of the aluminium bezel is a significant difference. Enough to outweigh the benefits of Nitrolon.

I like the all plastic G2.
Yeah me too.

Has anybody studied the ability of the nitrolon to move heat? What the difference is in heat generation between the LED P60L and the Incan P60?
Good question. I know that SureFire have.
A friend of PK has produced thermal images of various SureFires throughout the runtime. Check out www.pk-e.com

Please forgive the use of the word plastic as I use it interchangeably with the word polymer.
Yaesumofo
I guess since it's Christmas... :poke:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Few questions,

Will this thing run on a 17670 at full power?

How long is the runtime before it falls from regulation.

It _is_ regulated, right?

My assumption is that it uses essentially the same regulator as the L4.

Is there a runtime graph around? I searched, but could not find one.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, as far as i know its all nitrolon. the LED modual has thermal detection and lowers the light based on how hot it is. If you put it in a good 6p metal host, it will be brighter and hotter, if its in nitrolone then its less bright and cooler

Size15's

Flashaholic
a quick question thats slightly off topic,
Does the Yellow G2L also have an alloy head ? :thinking:
Actually, YES - the G2L-YL (Yellow) will have a yellow anodised aluminium bezel. I understand that it is just now becoming available.

Additionally, SureFire have told CPF members that if they call and ask, SureFire will send them an aluminium bezel for their G2L's that they purchased with the Nitrolon bezel.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P60L has returned my 6P to general duty status at work. I do alot of health and safety inspections that require working in vaults and tunnels. I really like the fact that I can easily swap the emmitter to the stock P60 LA and store it in my spares carrier.

Oddly enough I find the blue tint works better outside than indoors. We lost power at work and I really didn't care for the "winter moon like" illumination. The P60 LA worked much better in my dark office. Outside in a brown wet background I have no trouble seeing things within 30m.

Great beam pattern. Nice big cone of light with decent throw.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up until recently I carried a G2 or E2e for hunting and fishing practically since they first came out.

My E2e has a number of dings in the head which has always disapointed me because I really like this light and the beam it produces. While the dings make no difference in its performance I try to take very good care of my best tools and hate to see them dinged up. I wish the E2e had a stainless steel bezel on the end. I will eventually replace the head more for the dings than to update the lumens.

Now my G2 on the other hand which has been carried more than my E2e still looks the same as it did when I bought it; the only difference is the recent addition of a Bugoutgear 230 lm dropin. I believe the material the G2 is made out of can easily last a lifetime, maybe two IMO. If Surefire can find a way to reduce the size of the lights with the Nitrolon to the size of the Aluminum I would never buy another Surefire Aluminum light. I like the Nitrolon, I thought its introduction was revolutionary for a flashlight, (tough as nails and probably less expensive than Aluminum ) and was hoping to see more and more of it. Unfortunately with the heatsinking issue and popularity now of the LEDs I don't see that happening. They have already changed the head to Aluminum. I'm afraid it could become part of Surefire history and to me it would be a shame.

Bill