G4 5761/7388 in Maglite 3C. Few questions.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its apparently a well known mod for the standard Maglite (not ML25), and peeps have successfully run these on 2x IMR Li-ion. Would like to run 5761 or 7388 in 3C Mag with 2x 21700. I am new to this Mag modding scene so here a few questions:

1: How to fit G4 into modern Xenon Bi-Pin Maglite? Tods Adapter is for PR I believe and no longer for sale. [Solved]

2:How to fit PR bulb into modern Pi-Pin? I could use Peli 3754 on Vicvs recommendation but its PR style bulb. [Solved]

3: Will current high drain protected Keeppower 21700 15A be sufficient to run 20W (7388) or 30W (5761) Halogen? or do I absolutely need 20A IMR cell?

thanks

Last edited:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the answer to both no1 and no2. Even new full size mags just have this adapter in the pr socket. Remove it and you can install a pr bulb. The lights haven't changed.
PXL_20210912_185537870.jpg

PXL_20210912_185548003.jpg

This will allow you to add a G4 bulb after removing factory adapter.

A 7388 will be fine on big cells as will the rop high bulbs. A 5761 will probably flash depending on the cells and res mods you've done. Even still it will be short lived.
I would stay away from protected cells for this much power.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the answer to both no1 and no2. Even new full size mags just have this adapter in the pr socket. Remove it and you can install a pr bulb. The lights haven't changed.View attachment 16891

View attachment 16892

This will allow you to add a G4 bulb after removing factory adapter.

A 7388 will be fine on big cells as will the rop high bulbs. A 5761 will probably flash depending on the cells and res mods you've done. Even still it will be short lived.
I would stay away from protected cells for this much power.
I see thanks. Ive never owned regular Mag apart from mini and ML25, I never knew new mags just had the adapter built-in. That makes it simple. Is the Charger Ceramic Slug still available? It lists as expired.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. But if I remember correctly, Just post in the sales thread you'd like "whatever" (include number" and paypal him the total and include your order and CPF handle in the paypal notes. He also explains how in the thread

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. But if I remember correctly, Just post in the sales thread you'd like "whatever" (include number" and paypal him the total and include your order and CPF handle in the paypal notes. He also explains how in the thread
ok, I diddnt know what a handle was but apparently its just the username, which is what I thought but wasnt sure.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
G4 and G6.35 sockets are available here.

These also will fit in full size D and C M*gs with 2" reflector.

You might be interested to get
these instead of M*g.

1- Aluminum reflector available.
2- Hi temp G4 socket available.
3- Borofloat lens included.
4- Tail McClicky available.
5- Pair of 21700 will fit. (inside spacer)
6- Much better grippy body.

If you don't want to use 1 & 2 then Lumens factory 7.4V D36 will work fine with long run time per charge.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast

these instead of M*g.

If you don't want to use 1 & 2 then Lumens factory 7.4V D36 will work fine with long run time per charge.
Thanks. I already ordered 3c mag with glas lens and OP&polished alu reflectors so I will try that first with 21700.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast

these instead of M*g.

Will the plasitc switch of Mag c melt when using 5761 with your ceramic adapter?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you started out with a bi-pin version of the big Mag, the collar that holds the bi-pin socket in place has a smaller ID than the PR bulb holding collar. It keeps the bi-pin holder from coming out.

The old PR bulb retaining collar had a larger ID to allow the big globe of the krypton bulb to fit through the hole. If the bulb you use is shaped like a krypton bulb you will have to over size the screw down collar that once held the bi-pin socket. It's not hard as the metal is pretty soft. I twisted a steak knife in one to over size it. But it's permanently oversized so if you decide to go back to the original bi-pin holder that thing won't be held in due to the oversized collar.

You can find Maglite PR bulb screw down collars at various places for a couple of $. I had a Tads G4 in a Maglite 3D Vare-Beam (approx 1981 light) using the stock collar of the PR base bulb holder. If you choose an ROP high bulb it should fit through the stock bi-pin screw down collar. Cannot speak for the other bulb you mention as I'm not familiar with that one.

Last edited:

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you started out with a bi-pin version of the big Mag, the collar that holds the bi-pin socket in place has a smaller ID than the PR bulb holding collar. It keeps the bi-pin holder from coming out.

The old PR bulb retaining collar had a larger ID to allow the big globe of the krypton bulb to fit through the hole. If the bulb you use is shaped like a krypton bulb you will have to over size the screw down collar that once held the bi-pin socket. It's not hard as the metal is pretty soft. I twisted a steak knife in one to over size it. But it's permanently oversized so if you decide to go back to the original bi-pin holder that thing won't be held in due to the oversized collar.

You can find Maglite PR bulb screw down collars at various places for a couple of $. I had a Tads G4 in a Maglite 3D Vare-Beam (approx 1981 light) using the stock collar of the PR base bulb holder. If you choose an ROP high bulb it should fit through the stock bi-pin screw down collar. Cannot speak for the other bulb you mention as I'm not familiar with that one.
thanks. G4 socket wont need a collar and for PR type bulbs I have spare collars from replacement bulbs that can easily be widened. I have reamers and round files or even bench drill its no problem.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like the ability to like these posts now. Yeah, yeah I know fakebook and all that but it just makes it easier to say "preciate the info" without typing "ati" and everybody go "huh?" lol

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny thing. I just received my 3c Mag and its actually the old Krypton PR version! On the manual is says ©2005. SR: C32701980. Crazy stuff. So if anyone is interested in old PR Maglites check out rc-Machines luxemburg, they still have em. Luxembourg thats right.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything has arrived yesterday and is working fine. The 21700 15A cells seem to run the 7388 just fine but thats no surprise. 5761 are ordered and will arrive in a few days. There is quite a bit of fogging on the reflector when running it for more then a couple minutes, but others had similar problems and it always solved itself after a while. Ill will take some shots of the beam tonight.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The funny thing is this modded 3C is now probably the best thrower I have. Im very interrested to see how far it will throw with almost 1000 lumens on the 5761. not sure how much it'll put out on 2 lithiums but probably more then 800 lumens.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used a 5761 but with the fatter coil, probably lose a bit of throw. Not to mention so much more will be lit up your eyes won't be as sensitive anymore.
Have you bypassed both tailcap and switch spring? That makes a big difference. Especially with those high current draws

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used a 5761 but with the fatter coil, probably lose a bit of throw. Not to mention so much more will be lit up your eyes won't be as sensitive anymore.
Have you bypassed both tailcap and switch spring? That makes a big difference. Especially with those high current draws
No, im not comfortable soldering anything. Is it possible to do without soldering? What kind of wire would be required?

Latest posts