Gerber Artifact Pocket Keychain Tool

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blade actually semi locks it when it's open and closed. It's kind of works like a regular folding knife's ball detent but on steroids. It takes a little force to open it. Also, you always have the option of removing the blade or putting tape across for extra security.

Does the blade open easily? I would not want a blade like that opening accidentally in a pocket...

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up several last week and all of them require a very deliberate effort to open the blades. For the price I quite pleased with them.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question for you guys, what kind of things do pry with this (and other mini prybars)? I'm feeling impulsive and am wanting to buy a little prybar and am stuck between this and the micro widgy but dunno what for, except for the occasional small nail in the boot. So purely as a little prybar which would you suggest?

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
The blade in the artifact is a no. 11 hobby blade. You should have several sources to get those.

Our stock of them just come in a small box with no extra blade. I think gerber decided to save a penny or two. :)

justmyluck

Newly Enlightened
Anyone try a different blade besides the no. 11?

Just received mine today, and don't have any other blades handy. So no, have not tried others yet. All the blades I have at work are either this No. 11 style, or for the larger xacto style knife.

That said, all xacto style blades have a similar mount profile, and all I've seen have that hole in the center of where it is held, so I'm going to assume that just about any of that type of blade would fit.

Just fiddling with it a bit tonight, I'm pleased. I can't wait for opportunities to come up to try this thing!

Eric

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really liking mine a lot too. I've come across some multitool forum (I think) and they linked a site that has a bunch of different blades that would seem to work, only problem I could see is if a blade would be too long. Didn't quite seem to find something that'd work for me, so I'm just going to leave my blade out.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Target now sells this little tool. That's where I got mine, yesterday. Only had a chance to open the blister pack today. And when I locked open the little #11 hobby blade for the very first time, the little ball (pictued above, on the right of the locking mechanism) snapped off and fell down between the lock spring and the bottom of the tool.

I only noticed this, after trying to close the blade; by pushing down on the lock. The nearly microscopic ball was wedged between the lock mechanism and bottom of the tool itself, thus preventing the lock from being released. Taking a small throwing-knife, (a butter-knife with a tip) I was not able to pry the ball loose. But I was able to line it up with the hole it is supposed to protrude from, in the open position. I was then able to fold the blade back into the closed position.

I opened the blade again, and once again had to use the tip of my throwing-knife to re-position the broken ball back under its hole; just to close the blade.

Quality tools don't break the very first time you use them, as they are supposed to be used. My Gerber Artifact broke, the very first time I locked the hobby blade open. Also, in the closed position, I found that the blade can pivot open a bit too easily. Not a good idea to carry this tool loosely in a pocket. Nothing like reaching in, and pulling out a blood-stained finger from your pants-pocket.

I had intended to carry this tool without the hobby blade attached. Thankfully, it does remove easily from the tool, but not too easily that it might fall out unexpectedly. Still, the Cross Driver is sharp enough that I can see it being able to easily poke holes in one's pants-pockets.

Overall:

This tool is a POS (Piece of $#^%). The broken lock for the hobby blade is not a big issue for me, but only because I never intended to keep the blade on the tool. Still, in order for this thing to be a decent tool that one can EDC, you have to use a dremel tool (or a metal file and plenty of elbow grease) to remove the Cross Driver at the top of the tool. And if you need a very small folding blade, you're far better off buying a very small folding knife with a decent lock. (I recommend the Spyderco Ladybug). Definitely best to carry this Gerber tool with the blade removed.

Now I just need to unscew the lock spring from the tool, or get some Krazy Glue to make sure the hobby-blade-handle can't accidentally pivot into the open position.

My advice, save your $$$.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your bad experiance with the Artifact Monocrom. I still find mine worth every penny and is not opening without a good amount of intentional effort to do so. I also don't feel the cross driver is too sharp, but using either of the 2 flatheads is very unpractical. The real test for me will be during the winter when car doors freeze and I need a little extra leverage so I don't pull the handle off (I've done it before with a small Vaughn prybar). I'll have to post when and if that happens, but I think this little guy is up for the job.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry to hear about your bad experiance with the Artifact Monocrom. I still find mine worth every penny and is not opening without a good amount of intentional effort to do so. I also don't feel the cross driver is too sharp, but using either of the 2 flatheads is very unpractical. The real test for me will be during the winter when car doors freeze and I need a little extra leverage so I don't pull the handle off (I've done it before with a small Vaughn prybar). I'll have to post when and if that happens, but I think this little guy is up for the job.

Please don't misunderstand, the prybar and bottle-opener portions of this tool are not the issue. Both would work easily for their intended purposes.... Still, it's pretty hard to make a poor mini-prybar. Other than using cheap, soft, steel; it takes effort to mess up a prybar. But if that portion of the tool is the main reason for buying the Artifact, it might be better to get a dedicated mini-prybar. I've seen them at Home Depot for $5. And with their longer handles, they offer a bit more leverage.

It's the overall quality of this Gerber tool that bothers me. I can recall about 15 years ago when Gerber knives and tools were considered to be only half a notch below Benchmade, and at more affordable prices. Nowadays, their knives and tools don't even come close to the level of quality they once had. Gerber products have become Hit or Miss.... Mostly Miss. :(

ericjohn

Enlightened
Has anybody tried one of these? I have not, but I think they look cool. It looks a little like an Atwood.

Gerber 22-41770 Artifact Pocket Keychain Tool

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001349MD8/?tag=cpf0b6-20

i think I got one of these on clearence at Target. I keep it in my car. It is a pretty cool little gadget for the price I payed. ($10). The blade rusted up on me quickly, but the screw driver wire stripper and other devices work perfectly. Would have been really neat if it came with a lanyard to wear around the neck.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
For those who don't require a small folding scalpel, the Gerber Shard is better. If you don't need a bottle-opener on your small prybar, one of the ones from County Comm is even better still.