Gerber Omnivore help!

z80

Newly Enlightened
Howdy! ok so i have a gerber omnivore that i stuck a rechargeable 123a into and it burned it. I love the ability to take any old battery, and would like to resurrect it with either the same led that is in it or possibly upgrade it. The only problem is that while i know much about plain led's the regulated LED is something of a mystery to me. i have searched here and have shopped deal extreme and a few other sites looking for a replacement pill(proper term?) but so far no luck. In the morning when i get my hands on a camera i will post some pics of the insides along with measurements.
thanks in advance for your help!
z80

carhound

Newly Enlightened
Was it a 3.7V RCR123? If so thanks in advance for saving mine! I just bought some 3.7v RCR's for my JetBeam RRT-0 that's on it's way and I was going to toss one in the Omnivore to see what happened.

I looked all over the place to see what the max allowable input voltage was and couldn't find anything.

carrot

Flashaholic
It seems likely that you have actually burned out the driver and not necessarily the LED. What you are looking for is a driver that can run off 1.5-3.0v (1.5-4.2v if you want to use RCR123) and you may find that if you dismantle a 4sevens Quark MiNi or an ITP A3 you will find the board that you are looking for. I am not sure that you will find a bare driver suitable for this without dismantling an already-made light, although I haven't looked recently.