GERBER Vs. LEATHERMAN

Makarov

Enlightened
I've EDC'd a Leatherman since 1993, and I remember we compared multitools when I was in the army. Found out that the Leathermans needlenose pliers was way more handy than the not-so-needlenose pliers on the Gerber.
I believe the Gerbers have needlenose pliers as well now, but I still prefere my Leatherman's. I EDC a Charge TI, but I want, no, I NEED a Crunch and one of the Juice's (don't know which yet :) )

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
I own both a Gerber 600 light and a leatherman squirt P4, I find that if I am trying to cut something with the pliers on my Gerber that's tough I ushley pinch the HELL out of my palm and get a huge blood blister on my had so I am going to go get a full size leatherman.

a4d

Enlightened
Definetley a Leatherman, i have a gerber and on my second Leaterman. I had the Leatherman Wave but lost it i loved that tool. I no have the Leatherman Charge TTi Camo. It is amazing, i love it, love the camo the Titanium handles, and the other bits. There is even a space in the holster for the bits, and the holster is camo also.:whistle:

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta be leatherman! I have a newer wave and cant imagine being without it. Well thought out tools. Add bit kit for more versatility

Can't wait till the Skeletool comes out!

Mercaptan

Enlightened
I have a Gerber fixed knife and a Leatherman multitool - respective products representing the best of what each company can offer.

I have a Charge TTi. Awesome little thing.

motodrummer35

Newly Enlightened
Well i have never owned one, but i have seen someone destroy a leatherman by simply gripping hard enough and the strain it puts on the tool makes it buckle amnd the hands meet together when they snap. Gerber are not like that apart from the really super gay 800 legend. I have gripped my hardest on my gerber and i cant make the handles budge. the mear fact that when the pliers are closed on the leatherman and yet the handles are far far apart means that a strong guy can just trump them in about 3 seconds of squeeze

Dude, if you know a guy that can break a leatherman by gripping it, I want to meet him. I had an old beat up juice cs4(a little leatherman) and clamped it to a bar(with the pliers around the bar) and hit the handles with a hammer to simulate an extreme amount of force. It took 6 strong hits with a deadblow hammer to just make the pliers bend to where they wouldn't close. It sounds like that guy's leatherman was defective, and if you pay attention at all to the package, you know that you can send it in and they will replace it up to 25 years from the date of purchase.

motodrummer35

Newly Enlightened
The Leatherman Wave remains my favorite. I do have one of the early Gerbers(USA made) in black(gave a stainless one to a brother-in-law who lost it), which were well made, solid, and have the heavyweight handles that'll pinch the fire out of you when using the pliers or wirecutters if you're not careful. The newer Gerbers I've bought and quickly passed on were of inferior quality feeling flimsy and cheap.

gerbermultitool.jpg

I had this same gerber, and it sucked. The pliers got stuck all the time and getting the tools out was a bear. I have a leatherman blast, which is comparable in size and number of tools to this one, and it is bullet proof.

potatoheadUK

Newly Enlightened
I found the steel on the newer Gerber Blades (particularly the Legend) too brittle.

The Charge Ti used to have the best blade steel from memory but I EDC a Surge at work, have put that thing through hell and it's still going strong.

The blade exchanger uses more obtainable style Jigsaw blades than the legend too.

It's just a bit of a heavy lump to carry around.