GET-TOGETHER - FCW-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: GET-TOGETHER - FCM-14 / FSM-2 - NJ, NY, CT, PA area - 9-8-18 to 9-11-18

Bimmerboy: I'll bring a one man tent and mini inflatable mattress for you. Bring a sleeping bag or a blanket. Unless you've done it before- sleeping in a car is really uncomfortable!! Bill

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill - Thank you very much for the offer! Very nice of you, and I really appreciate it. Won't be necessary as I've slept/camped in the car many times over the years. You're right though, it's not the most comfortable, especially with my seats. No matter though, I'm used to it. After all this time of dealing with it, I'm finally gonna' try a neck pillow since neck support has always been the problem. Thanks again. :)

John

Last edited:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Been meaning to ask about a subject brought up early in the thread. What to do for number two.

From the map it looks like we'll be fairly close to a bathroom/shower facility, but hard to tell how well it's maintained. Mixed reviews online. Anyone bringing porta-potties just in case? If so, is there a place for bagged disposal? Figured I'd ask here before calling the park for info. Ag is bringing a shovel... lol.

Thinking about a backup plan for possible necessity, or even just added convenience.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

The "facilities" are well-maintained and, within very short walking distance John.

Karl

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Karl. Good to know. BTW, did a test today on the cooking rig and took some video. It worked as well as I had hoped, and am definitely going to enjoy using it.

BTW, the only reason the pan got black underneath is due to my error. While adding more pellets, I went a bit overboard and it put the flame out. It was pretty smoky for a minute until the secondary ignition started working again, then it was back to totally clean burning. Wish I got video of that! Anyway, here's the experiment in action.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is lookin' goooood John! How big is that pan?

Karl

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Everyone - sorry I haven't been very talkative recently. I've just been super busy with work. Anyway, I just wanted to say how much I'm looking forward to getting out there and relaxing with everyone!

I heard from Dorcy and Life+Gear, and they have some "goodies" coming our way!

I'm looking to "thin out" my massive flashlight collection, and will be bringing in excess of 200 lights for sale or trade. I'm bringing a mix of classic / vintage lights as well as many newer lights. No reasonable offers will be refused, and I really want to give these lights a new home, so that I can get some more!

My current most powerful light is 4,300 lumens, and I'm looking for something to top that. I would like to get or at least see an Imalent DT70 - so if anyone has one, please bring it so I can check it out.

--Tim

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tim, do we check in, or just drive down to the sites? After 12 ok on Saturday?

Bill

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tim, do we check in, or just drive down to the sites? After 12 ok on Saturday?

Bill

Hi Bill, this is a great question. Thank you for bringing it up.

EVERYONE: Please just drive straight to the spots. Since I have reserved all of the spots in my name, and I have already paid for them in full, there is no need for you to stop at the guard shack. Just drive directly to the spots when you arrive.

--Tim

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Karl - Glad you like it! I was pretty psyched myself. That pan was 12.5" by 10.5". Sorry for the delay in responding, but was holding off until trying a bigger pan, which I finally did this afternoon. It actually fit a big 'ol honkin' 21" by 13" with a few inches to spare on the width (could go up to 15 or 16"). Also sorted out a fan controller with a backlit display showing the RPM's. Looking to win the "coolest camp stove award". :cool:

BTW, if anyone wants to griddle stuff on it, I'm bringing a griddle, so bring your bacon, eggs, and pancake mix!

Tim - From reading through past threads, it seems some wood processing tools might come in handy, so I'll have a mini-maul/splitter, and a limb saw with kinda' worn out teeth, but still functional.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

John, the aluminum pan thick enough material so it won't burn through with the heat?

Karl

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Karl - Good question, and was one of the reasons for testing. Wanted to make sure it won't go "China Syndrome" on us, and act like a thermite/pulled pork welder.

The material thickness seems to have no bearing. As long as there's something to transfer heat to, like water or food, it won't burn through. I used a thin, flimsy pan that was buckling when trying to lift it full of water, and it remained unaffected by the heat. For food, we can now turn the fan down as well as raise the grill. We're good to go!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK John. Now, just as an aside, and still with the pan, acidic foods such as this BBQ, tomato sauce, etc, will and do "burn' through aluminum due to rapid corrosion. I am an experienced cook for years now and I have had incidents where the acid in sauces I've made, create visible holes in aluminum foil if covered by it. I don't think this would happen as rapidly on an aluminum pan but, the heat will hasten the chemical interaction.

Karl

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tim - From reading through past threads, it seems some wood processing tools might come in handy, so I'll have a mini-maul/splitter, and a limb saw with kinda' worn out teeth, but still functional.

Hi, Yes, and thank you. That would be great! :)

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting excited!! We are less than a week away from FCW-14 / FSM-2! Although it's going to be rather warm out where I live again today, the weather forecast is showing that it should be in the mid 60's to low 70's as a high and upper 50's to low 60's for a low, while we are there - which sounds like great camping weather! And only a slight chance of rain or a passing shower.

In addition to bringing more than 200 flashlights for sale / trade. I'm also bringing a bunch of camping equipment for sale / trade.

Don't forget to spread the word, and remind your fellow CPF's or fellow Flashaholics that FSM-2 (Flashaholics Swap Meet and Gathering) is taking place on Saturday!

--Tim

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Current numbers?

Karl

KartRacer31

Flashlight Enthusiast

Current numbers?

Karl

25-30 attending
about 15 overnight
200-300 lights for sale/trade
50+ camping items for sale/trade
0% visible moon Monday night (super dark there!)
65 average day temp
58 average low temp
30,000 + lumen flashlight... I want to see one there
1 million + total lumens likely to be there
2 hotdogs likely to accidentally end up in the fire
100% chance of fun

scout24

Flashaholic

100% chance at least one seasoned Flashaholic blinds themselves by switching on a light when looking into the business end... :D :sssh:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

25-30 attending
about 15 overnight
200-300 lights for sale/trade
50+ camping items for sale/trade
0% visible moon Monday night (super dark there!)
65 average day temp
58 average low temp
30,000 + lumen flashlight... I want to see one there
1 million + total lumens likely to be there
2 hotdogs likely to accidentally end up in the fire
100% chance of fun

Sure Tim, shoe size, temps, hot dogs....how's about will there be a Doctor in the "house"????

Karl

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is like a Christmas gift in September! I look forward to these trips every year.....thanks ahead of time Tim!

Bill W