Gluing tritium with cellphone glass repair glue?

gfogus

Newly Enlightened
I want to glue four 1.5x6mm tritium vials into the tailcap of a titanium flashlight I have.
I have seen the Norland 61 for sale, but the fact that it's $6.50 for 1mL scares me - that's tiny!

What about using the UV reactive cellphone repair glue that is on the market? I sealed my wifes phone screen protector using that and I still have the USB-powered UV light. Would that work roughly as well? Would the concern be that it wouldn't bind glass to metal as well? Or more that it would yellow over time? (her screen looks fine)

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could also use loctite 202 I think it's called... or gorilla epoxy. Just make sure it dries clear and check the temperature range. I chose these in case at some point I want to change the tritium. Loctite is like rubber silicone when it dries and the epoxy comes out in a block or piece of plastic if you remove it.
No issues with both of those I used and no uv needed but I m not carrying the lights every day.
Norland is really good stuff, so are the others i mentioned. None are cheap... but it's about how you feel.

scout24

Flashaholic
I've used clear nail polish probably a half dozen times with fantastic results. Use our search function for more testimonials, there's plenty out there. :)

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used clear nail polish probably a half dozen times with fantastic results. Use our search function for more testimonials, there's plenty out there. :)

Thanks for sharing, I didn't even think of that one!
It should be easier to remove also if you get tired of the trits and want to change but does the nail polish not break down at some point?

gfogus

Newly Enlightened
I ordered some Norland. How would I get the trits out after they wear out? It sounds like they will get really sealed in there. Is there a special method I should use for gluing so they will come out after?
Could you use nail polish remover to unglue the trits if you use clear nail polish to seal them in?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used hot water and a wooden toothpick to slowly scrape away the epoxy. That was on a Nitecore D10. No worry of getting electronics wet.

gfogus

Newly Enlightened
I asked my wife for nail polish and she said, "Do you want top coat or bottom coat?"

What should I say?

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Norland is recommended as it is relatively easy to work with and optically clear, given how damn dim tritium vials are to begin with, it is nice to not compound the problem but using adhesives that are transparent but not super clear. For your typical trit mount, it takes very little adhesive. i made a tritium reflector plug for a light with a deep reflector well around a 2x6 trit and it still took only maybe .5mL at most with it domed over, same amount of adhesive would've done a dozen or more trits in the typical inlayed fashion.

As for the UV set adhesive in the repair kit, would probably work, but likely not as clear as Norland.

gfogus

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I plan on using the Norland for the tiny inlay trits for my first light and I'll test the mail polish on something else also.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I ordered some Norland. How would I get the trits out after they wear out? It sounds like they will get really sealed in there. Is there a special method I should use for gluing so they will come out after?
Could you use nail polish remover to unglue the trits if you use clear nail polish to seal them in?
I think Norland has a solution to dissolve or assist in removing the set glue when you need to remove it?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat will remove Norland or other adhesive. Use a heat gun or hot air station to heat the adhesive, and it softens enough to easily remove with a dental pick.

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool trick DatiLED, I've not tried that.

It should be noted that when curing, the Norland61 will shrink slightly. So I dome it up just slightly more than I think I'll need. Maybe an extra 10%?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i never heard there are cell phones glass repair glue, i wonder can i fix a windshield crack with it

LedTed

Enlightened
3M makes an optically clear, room temperature curing, no mix epoxy for fixing glasses. I've used that, and it has lasted for over eight years.