Good All-Around L-Shaped Flashlight for <=$50?

ambassador

Newly Enlightened
What would your suggestion be for a good all-around flashlight that is:

* Costs no more than $50
* Shaped like an "L" as shown below

_______
|*****|
|*****|
|**|
|**|
|**|
|**|
|__|

Last edited:

ambassador

Newly Enlightened
Do all "good" L-shaped flashlights costing less than $50 have such a low Lumens specification? A pair of C or D size batteries would be a desirable power source for the flashlight. It is understood; however, that the "L" shape and the $50 budget - the two necessary restraints in this particular case - may exclude "good" flashlights that are powered by a pair of C or D size batteries.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most "good" angle lights (or any other lights) aren't generally powered by C or D batteries. When I think 'angle light" I generally think of Zebralight. There are Ultrafire versions cheaper than Zebralights as well.

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
Does a $17 Trustfire Z1 count?

113_01.jpg

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Do all "good" L-shaped flashlights costing less than $50 have such a low Lumens specification? A pair of C or D size batteries would be a desirable power source for the flashlight. It is understood; however, that the "L" shape and the $50 budget - the two necessary restraints in this particular case - may exclude "good" flashlights that are powered by a pair of C or D size batteries.

what kind of Lumen specs are you looking for. it might make it easier for people to help you if you're clearer about what you want.

ambassador

Newly Enlightened
robostudent5000,

Regarding "... Lumen specs are you looking ..." - the greatest possible while meeting the aforementioned two conditions.

LEDninja,

The thread that you referenced was read in its entirety, which ultimately led to the website whereon the flashlight is sold. The flashlight that you suggested would be perfect, except for the budget matter that you mentioned.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Angle lights have all failed me in one way or another. Someone in the Peak forum was talking about a run of 90 degree adapters for popular Peak lights.... that's where I'd look...

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
1) When you tailstand it you get light on the horizontal instead of on the ceiling
2) you can clip it to your belt or pocket and still get light on objects in front of you instead of in your face
3) A more comfortable carry in many situations.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Bit of a warning... the Fenix MC10 needs an eneloop (or comparable quality NiMH) to get the most out of it. It draws over 3A on HI, I wouldn't recommend Alkalines in this light at all. At 3A draw (from a 1.4V Eneloop) and 120L OTF its not terribly efficient either. Something in the vicinity of ~30 Lumens per watt, which puts it in Incan territory from an efficiency standpoint.

The trustfire Z1 is a nice light... mine arrived DOA though, in typical DX fashion.

dscn6222.jpg

dscn6223.jpg

dscn6224.jpg

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Trustfire Z1 I ordered maybe a year ago or so ago from DX came in perfect working order with good fit and finish. It quickly became a favorite light that holds up well against a few other more expensive lights I own. I love the size, the color, the knurling and the form factor and the memory function actually works quite well. The clip allows it to "back stand" so you can have it pointed at the ceiling. You can even run it without the reflector in a sort of "candle mode". The emitter is well potted and seems the design sheds heat nicely. It likes running on a 16340.

My Z1 is an XPE-Q5 but it seems that Manafont is offering an XPE-R2 version of the Z1 (SKU: 7896) for a buck more than DX is asking for the Q5.

For a budget light that costs around 17 bucks it's hard to go wrong with one of these.

tzt

Newly Enlightened
That's pretty someone with 6000+ posts thinks a DOA light is typical from DX, or that a CREE driven at 1A is anywhere close to incan efficacy.

Also, just because it's claimed to be R2 doesn't mean that it.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
That's pretty someone with 6000+ posts thinks a DOA light is typical from DX, or that a CREE driven at 1A is anywhere close to incan efficacy.

Also, just because it's claimed to be R2 doesn't mean that it.

In my experience DX DOA arrivals have been typical, roughly over half of my orders have been DOA and needed some DIY repair upon receipt. This has nothing to do with CPF post-count.
Based on the lights in my collection, 30Lumens per Watt is far closer to incan efficiency numbers than LED. Most of my incans hover around 5-10 Lumens per watt.
The well respected, CPF manufacturers do appear to be honestly adhering to their flux BIN claims.

Last edited:

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
I've probably ordered 15 lights from DX, never had one arrive DOA.
Go figure...

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Regarding "... Lumen specs are you looking ..." - the greatest possible while meeting the aforementioned two conditions.

that's not exactly helping to narrow things down. do you at least have a minimum acceptable rating you're looking for?