Good and Evil

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
SomeBloke,

There is a lot of difference between taking a risk, and gambling.

When one gambles, he wins because someone else lost. That is the reverse of loving your neighbor as yourself. It amounts to hurting your neighbor.

It is not correct to say that music is neutral. Music causes certain emotions that might be good in the case of the National Anthem. But rock music stimulates different emotions, and it is not difficult to see that they do, and the effects on an individual.

The lyrics of most of that type of music are vulgar and blasphemous.

You may deny it but even cursory observation proves it to be true. In most cases, maybe all, the writers, and performers intend it to appeal to the lustful senses.

Jerry

SomeBloke

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:

There is a lot of difference between taking a risk, and gambling.

When one gambles, he wins because someone else lost. That is the reverse of loving your neighbor as yourself. It amounts to hurting your neighbor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree there. There is no inherent implication of someone 'losing' in the concept of gambling. To gamble is to take a risk for the sake of gaining something, usually in excess of that which is risked. If I walk to the shops during a thunderstorm, I'm gambling that I won't get struck by lightning. If I win the gamble, I get to the shops. If I lose, I end up with a very electric personality... no one else loses (well, maybe my family - although they probably think I could use a good shock..)

[ QUOTE ]

It is not correct to say that music is neutral. Music causes certain emotions that might be good in the case of the National Anthem. But rock music stimulates different emotions, and it is not difficult to see that they do, and the effects on an individual.

The lyrics of most of that type of music are vulgar and blasphemous.

You may deny it but even cursory observation proves it to be true. In most cases, maybe all, the writers, and performers intend it to appeal to the lustful senses.

Jerry

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, this is very subjective. You say that the "lyrics of most of that type of music is vulgar and blasphemous". This is such an incredible generalization I don't even know where to start. Some words in some music somewhere could possibly be vulgar to some people. But only if they do 2 things - choose to listen to the music, and choose to interpret it as vulgar.
Yes, the people who write rock music probably do it with the intention of stimulating a particular emotion in the listener. But to me, interpretation is everything.

The statement "even cursory observation proves it to be true." - I really don't see how this can possibly mean anything. Given the incredible quantity of rock music produced in the world, how can a "cursory observation" prove anything?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitro,

Free Masons call God the Great or Grand Architect.

The Creator of The Matrix is called the Architect or The Source.

Are we really awake or are we sleeping (physically) and living out our lives in a virtual universe????

To find out: take the Red Pill and Follow the White Rabbit.....

StuU

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JerryM said:

[/ QUOTE ]

What's wrong with lust? Seems like it's part of the natural workings of the all organisms....like as in babies, doh? It seems that most successful marriages make productive use of lust.

If "god" hated lustful feelings, why did he make them so pleasureful? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Why didn't he make humans like bears who might mate just once or twice in a lifetime? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

And what's wrong with admiring the beauty and sensuality of a member of the opposite sex? God created beautiful women didn't he? Why shouldn't we admire them? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SomeBloke

Newly Enlightened
Good point, StuU. Without lust, the human race would have withered away and disappeared long ago (actually, it probably wouldn't have even gotten far off the starting block..)

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this thread degenerated from Good and Evil to sex in a big hurry:)

Back on topic.

I think this is less difficult than it is being made out to be.

Good is the opposite of evil.

Any debate on that? If we cannot agree on that simple premise than the discussion is useless. No basis for discussion then exists, thread dies.

Somebody above states they seek to follow reason, we can do both, I think, if we can agree on the above.

If good is the opposite of evil, we then must simply define one or the other to determine them both.

That is the crux of the issue, I believe.

You must then define some common basis of one or the other. We live in a Judeo-Christian society, so we could then use the Judeo-Christian ethic to determine one or the other. Though we live in a Judeo-Christian society, we have accepted many other ethics as possible, so this is admittedly an imperfect assumption, but we must start somewhere.

Using the Judeo-Christian basis, the next assumption is that God is inherently and unequivocally good, thus what he expects of us is good, his example is good, and his wisdom is good. This can be extended to any definition of deity, whether Allah or others, because apart from the My God/Your God argument, any who believe in God at this point believe that their God, by any definition is good. Those who are agnostic will generally accept the Good/Evil argument on the basis of what is best for society. Those who are atheist generally will do the same on a wide scale basis, though both may disagree on a small scale or individual basis.

At some point about here someone will point out that I am assuming a lot about God, or their beliefs, or whatever. The simple truth is that if you don't make that assumption, there is no basis for a decision about good and evil.

So if God is good, then what is in opposition to him is bad, this falls basically in the "if you ain't with us, you agin us" argument.

So you can then, using reason, walk through the above situations and decide which is good, which is evil.

Rape-Against all known moral and religious ethics=Evil

Murder-Not self defense, not protecting others, murder is defined as the killing of others for personal gain or pleasure.-Same as above=Evil

Gambling-Risk is not the same as Gambling, Gambling is defined as intentionally placing yourself or your valuables at risk in the intent of achieving gain at the risk or loss of others. Thousands of years of moral prohibition arising from the obvious damage done by gambling created a significant inhibition against this. Our society today is beginning to see the damage caused by state sponsored gambling, as the poorest of the poor pay the biggest burden percentage wise as they gamble with money they cannot afford to lose. Most recognized religions condemn gambling, though some accept it as a part of life, in small amounts. Though JerryM and I tend to disagree on many things, using our/my basis above.=Evil

Rock and Roll-So far as it espouses things generally recognzed as bad-illicit sex, lust, depravity then it is evil. Is it inherently evil? It is a form of music, any music can be made to be evil, it conforms to the performer, in and of itself it is not evil, but it can be used in evil ways, much like a gun is not inherently evil, but can be used in evil ways. The comment ascribed to Mick Jagger, "We intend to destroy the family through sex, drugs, and rock and roll" comes to mind here. (Don't ask, its been too many years since I heard the quote to remember where)=Not inherently evil, but easily abused by evil meaning people.

Lust-Against the mores of every recognized religion. Do not argue that lust is necessary for life, LOVE is necessary for life, procreation may be a side effect of lust, but it is neither desirable when due to lust, nor a planned effect of it. (Name someone who PLANNED on getting pregnant from a one night stand!) Do not equate lust with a God created emotion, pleasure is not equal to joy. Lust creates a short term pleasure which society pays for in the long run!=Evil

Drugs/alcohol-used appropriately, a great benefit to society, used inappropriately, creates a huge burden on society.=Not inherently evil, but easily abused.

A very short list, but at least a basis to start on.

Goodnight.

Bill

SomeBloke

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:

Gambling-Risk is not the same as Gambling, Gambling is defined as intentionally placing yourself or your valuables at risk in the intent of achieving gain at the risk or loss of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in my original post, this is obviously a specific subset of what is defined as gambling. To me, the concept of gambling does not inherently imply that it causes others' loss.
By your definition, participation in the US green card lottery is also 'evil'.

As for rock and roll, "Not inherently evil, but easily abused by evil meaning people." - this applies to just about anything. Anything can be abused or perverted and used for "evil" purposes. Even religion and the bible.

Same goes for lust. But this is something I know will never be accepted by those who devoutly follow most organised religions. As far as I'm concerned, if two consenting adults want to enjoy themselves together, go for it. Lust does not exist solely as one-night stands. I love my wife, but I also lust after her (boy, do I!) - and we have a *very* enjoyable marriage as a result. I cannot see how this could be evil.
Say what you like, but sex drive is what keeps the human race moving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cosco

Newly Enlightened
JerryM,

I certainly know the passage in Corinthians. But I just do not think we are not allowed to say something more about these topics than what is said in the Bible. We were given reason as well as freedom. The problem is we can misuse both.
There are philosophers and philosophers. What saint Paul is pointing out is misusing the reason for praising itself. He met Jews who thought they were wise enough to deny Christ as Messiah and he also met greeks who did the same (cf his discussion at Areopag: Acts 17, 18 - 32). He adresses it in the letter to Romans. But there is one place in this letter to Romans I would like to quote for you: Rom 1,19 - 20
There are several aproaches. You can simply start with the Christ, which realy is the true wisdom but you will miss many people then. Or you can try more distant aproach, like Paul in Athenas. Does not mean more succes though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gambling by definition means that there is gain without, or out of proportion, to the effort to acquire it.

The Bible specifically discusses the casting of lots to make a decision, similar to the green card lottery, where chance decides between two possibilities.

Gambling is simply a redistribution of wealth between people, someone wins, someone loses. Even if they are consenting it is still inherently wrong, thus evil.

Don't have enouhg time to go into the lust thing very deep, but there are enough scriptures and verse to choke a horse on this in virtually all of the major canons, ie. Bible, Koran, Talmud, etc. You are discussing semantics when you dicuss the difference between lust within a marriage and without.

Bill

StuU

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwaites said:
Don't have enouhg time to go into the lust thing very deep, but there are enough scriptures and verse to choke a horse on this in virtually all of the major canons, ie. Bible, Koran, Talmud, etc. You are discussing semantics when you dicuss the difference between lust within a marriage and without.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the role of pheromones? These are intensely strong airborne organic chemicals that create strong sexual reactions in members of the opposite sex...regardless of marriage status. Why would god create such powerful chemistry within us if "he" didn't want us to feel intense sexual attraction to any and all members of the opposite sex?

Marriage is arguabley a human institution designed to strengthen society. It's a good thing to keep sexual activities managed in a constructive fashion...our complex society wouldn't work so well if we followed the mating habits of chimpanzees. Especially in regards to providing a stable environment for children. But it's a human convention as are most of the biblical strictures IMHO.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, Stu, for presenting logical, factual, points not based on personal interpretation of some version of the bible.

While science may or may not be able to prove God's existence, it can IMHO, disprove the rational of some religious beliefs and, therefore, sins.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not all that Religion says is evil, is actually evil, even though religion always claims that God has said so.

Acts of Intolerance and Hate are the greatest Evils. They are millions of times worse when done in the Name of God. An act can be verbal, written, or physical.

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, so far as a human convention, based on the scriptural references above it is ordained (created) by God.

I understand the pheromone argument, I work in Internal Medicine, yet no HUMAN study has conclusively proved that they contibrute to sexual proclivities.

Back to the basic argument, Good vs. Evil, if using the above basis for the argument, then Lust, by definition is evil. (There are variations of the Biblical scripture which states bascially that man must throw off the natural man in striving to attain virtue which are found in all of the major scriptures)

Remember the basic argument, if you use a God as a stating point, and he is Good, than anything which excites or causes contradiction to him is evil. Lust contradicts that which is recognized as good in whatever context we talk about.

Bill

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charles, because a man says it is in the name of God does not make it so.

God does not tolerate hate or intolerance in us either, but requires us to love all.

Bill