Good day to get some sharpening done with an Edge Pro Professional

j333_76484

Newly Enlightened
Finally get to sit down and sharpen some of my own knives as opposed to doing everyone else's knives. Will be taking the bevel on this fillet knife down from 18 degrees to 15 then taking the edge all the way up to a 32K grit stone then swap over to using Nano cloth and Kangaroo hide with CBN Sprays. Should end up with a highly polished edge once done. Not needed at all. Just enjoy doing it.

DSC_0001.jpg

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a white hard Arkansas stone that was issued to me for blending nicks on gas turbine compressor blades, it does the job but does take a bit of time to sharpen knife blades but they are razor sharp. It's 40 years old but it shows very little wear after using it. The edge looks polished after the process.

j333_76484

Newly Enlightened
I have a white hard Arkansas stone that was issued to me for blending nicks on gas turbine compressor blades, it does the job but does take a bit of time to sharpen knife blades but they are razor sharp. It's 40 years old but it shows very little wear after using it. The edge looks polished after the process.

SWEET. I had lost most of my natural Stones over the years and started leaning toward the synthetic stuff. No major reason, just figured modern science was worth a try. They say the uniformity of grit size is improved in the synthetic stones but I can't really confirm based on experience. I am into sharpening knives as more of a hobby than just to get a knife sharp so I am always trying different stuff. Today I used an Atoma 140 to thin the blade and rough in the bevel. Then swapped to a Shapton Pro 140 to clean it up a bit then swapped over to Shapton Glass stones to refine the edge. Takes me a good while to do all that but I just like fooling around with sharpening to see if I can do something a little better than I could before. Have an order of 3M diamond lapping films inbound I am anxious to try out. They go down to .1 micron. That is somewhere close to 150K grit if I am not mistaken. Should be easy to put a pretty polish on a blade with that :)

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a hard Arkansas from Nortons and it works very well. I up the angle slightly on the final honing, makes it much quicker then honing the entire edge.

Latest posts