good driver for XHP-70....

jezdec

Newly Enlightened
Hi

I will upgrade my old 2D maglite with XHP-70 and I`m in search for a good multimode driver.
I`m planning to use 2x18650 in series....XHP-70 is a 6V version.

I found this driver...but I`m not sure it is OK...??
http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index...path=67&product_id=53&sort=p.price&order=DESC

...as I can find there is no difference between XHP-70 and MT-G2....?

...what about this one....if it`s OK for XHP-50, it`s OK for XHP-70....??
http://www.lck-led.com/constant-current-driver-mode-sst50-xhp50-p-906.html?cPath=135

BR

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi jezdec,

I would suggest using the 17mm FET/DD board (also available from MTN electronics). 2 good 18650s will power up the XHP70 to around 6-8 amps using this driver( double what the Qlite will do), and you can get them with about any modes you want. Just make sure you get the zener modded 2 cell board ( other wise you will kill the driver)

Good lux with your build.

jezdec

Newly Enlightened
thanks for that vestureofblood...this FET/DD drivers are realy badass...:devil:
I will definitely use one of those...and I have already change a plan about host I will use,
because I think mag-lite`s heat dissipation ability will be greatly exceeded....:grin2:
...I`m just wondering...basically I can use each one, that has a zener mode to run a 6V LED from 2 Li-ion cells in series....is that true?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you can run one 6V led off 2 li-ion cells if the driver is zener modded. If you like you can also wire several 6 volt LED is parallel and power it off only 2 li-ion in series as long as your cells can take it.

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
I just saw this thread now
I am building a XHP70 dive torch also, and the driver I chose is the "AMPERE 5000mA" from PCB componentes in Germany, this is a buck driver where you can set the maximum voltage you want, one of the option is 6v.
This is the driver
https://pcb-components.de/led-abwaertswandler-buck-step-down/ampere-5000ma-detail.html
So it gives 5A and 6v from any power suply above 7 or 8volts (I`m will use 11.1v)

I gess this driver in the 9A variant should work for 3xhp50 in parallel

Can anyone give me an idea on a good driver for 3 xhp50 in series?

Best regards and good builds

spajta111

Newly Enlightened
I also want to build a XHP70 led torch, and as i understand the XHP70 led has 4.8 amps max current at 6v, how do you then mean
2 good 18650s will power up the XHP70 to around 6-8 amps

6-8 amps will burn out the led am i right, or if not can you explain me a little please, because i am new in this.

so what i want is to power XHP70 at 100% from 2 18650 cells, to do that what configuration (how menu additional 7135 chips) of this driver should i buy: http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index...path=67&product_id=53&sort=p.price&order=DESC

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
XHP70 can take some monster stats, compared to what has come before. The CPF XHP70 builds I'm aware of at this time are all very, very, very premature.

We all want these lights ASAP, know I do.

Check the data sheets for max forward voltages, those are not fun. Running this in a dive light is most helpful due to the axillary heat sink of the water. That really helps.

Fact is, in July 2015, nobody and I mean NOBODY has a mature driver for XHP70 of any stripe or flavor.

It is all really, really very experimental... even here on CPF. Any maker at time of posting shipping an XHP70 light is shipping a near-prototype gen 0 light.

It's very exciting, the exact definition of "bleeding edge." Can't wait to see how it pans out as these lights hit a real and justifiable generation 1. I don't personally feel that we are even there yet.

All experimental lights so far are having major focus issues, it'll end up being an optics redesign if this continues at this rate...

We've barely an example or two of a working thrower, a far cry from a shipping production light. Hate to be the bearer of "we're not quite there yet" news. Sorry. :(

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
XHP70 can take some monster stats, compared to what has come before. The CPF XHP70 builds I'm aware of at this time are all very, very, very premature.

We all want these lights ASAP, know I do.

Check the data sheets for max forward voltages, those are not fun. Running this in a dive light is most helpful due to the axillary heat sink of the water. That really helps.

Fact is, in July 2015, nobody and I mean NOBODY has a mature driver for XHP70 of any stripe or flavor.

It is all really, really very experimental... even here on CPF. Any maker at time of posting shipping an XHP70 light is shipping a near-prototype gen 0 light.

It's very exciting, the exact definition of "bleeding edge." Can't wait to see how it pans out as these lights hit a real and justifiable generation 1. I don't personally feel that we are even there yet.

All experimental lights so far are having major focus issues, it'll end up being an optics redesign if this continues at this rate...

We've barely an example or two of a working thrower, a far cry from a shipping production light. Hate to be the bearer of "we're not quite there yet" news. Sorry. :(

so what i want is to power XHP70 at 100% from 2 18650 cells, to do that what configuration (how menu additional 7135 chips) of this driver should i buy: http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index...path=67&product_id=53&sort=p.price&order=DESC

We simply don't have a turnkey driver optimized for this at this time, don't have real optimized optics yet. Work in progress. It'll all change very, very, very soon.
6-8 amps will burn out the led am i right, or if not can you explain me a little please, because i am new in this.
This emitter is kind of an alien. Check data sheets currently available. XHP is going to mutate within 18 months, wait and see.

One thing is for sure: XHP series is going to be a monster. It's already demolished MT-G2 flavors, afaik.

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also want to build a XHP70 led torch, and as i understand the XHP70 led has 4.8 amps max current at 6v, how do you then mean

The XHP-70 ( like all cree emitters) can handle much more current than what its rated for. IF YOU KNOW HOW TO HEAT SINK IT PROPERLY.

If
you use a standard aluminum mcpcb then 4.8 amps probly is about the limit. IF you use a TRUE direct thermal path copper one like a sinkpad, or you solder the emitter directly to another type of copper heat sink you can go much higher. Even in small lights I have driven the 6V emitter to 8 amps. You cant do it for long in a small light though.

However in a light with a bigger heat sink, or better still a water cooled dive light the sky is the limit. 12 amps would be no problem for the 6V XHP-70 with that kind of heat sinking. You just better make darn sure you have the thermal path right.

As for the driver solution I agree there are not a lot of ready made choices for this emitter, but that is not to say at all there are not some.

I don't recommend using the 7135 based drivers for this led unless what you want to do is limit the current to say 3a. A much better choice for use with 2 x 18650s would be the FET/DD board which you can either make or purchase pre made from mountain electronics. This will give you the 6-8 amp current on 2 li-ions without having to modify the driver.

Another option would be the 5 amp 21mm buck driver sold by the same ( or many china dealers). This driver would do the job with 3 cells, and you can even boost the current to it by another amp or so by changing the sense resistor.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
A much better choice for use with 2 x 18650s would be the FET/DD board which you can either make or purchase pre made from mountain electronics. This will give you the 6-8 amp current on 2 li-ions without having to modify the driver.

Thanks, sir!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
spajta,

That driver might work for a single emitter. I seriously doubt that driver could effectively power 3 XHP-70s. The reason I say that is those multi layer boards like that are very hard to propeller heat sink.

If you read the description there is a line that says "Automatic constant temperature: When the temperature exceeds the preset threshold, it will lower the output current to protect the LED and driver"

This could be a big problem. If you had 3 XHP-70s in series it would probly run for a few minutes and then kick down to low regardless of weather or not the light was over heating, because the driver would be hot.

Another issue I see is that no where on that page does it say if the board is a buck or a boost so its hard to say how many cells you would need to use for any emitter.

m.pille.led

Newly Enlightened
spajta111,
The driver you have there from light malls isn`t probably any good.
I can`t say if in my case it was na manufacturing defect or the driver by norm.
I bought a similar driver from Kaidomain ( http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S024008 ), and it should bring 4,5 to 5Amps.
It did not bring any more than 2Amps on my Xhp70. The problem should not be the heat protection, because to test the driver it was cold at the beginning and gave me only 2Amps.
About the buck/boost question, is it possible that it works as a buck and a boost depending on the battery voltage?

I think it is better to use a proper one, such as the buck driver from pcb componentes ( https://pcb-components.de/led-abwae.../ampere-5000ma-oder-9000ma-7v-25v-detail.html ) this you can set to maximum volt output of 6v. (order
I think it makes sense to pay a little more for something proper

Regards

Latest posts