Good headlamp for camping and biking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinoslav

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm shopping around for my first headlamp. The intended uses are (1) for camping, so that I can do things hands-free, and (2) as a secondary light source for night-time road biking; when biking I have a Fenix LD20 strapped to my handlebars and shining ahead of me. I really like the Fenix LD20 and am game to pay more than low-end head-lamps cost to get something of similar quality. But I'm really open as to suggestions for brands and models for my first headlamp. Here are my parameters from the sticky questionnaire:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Ideally, less than $100; but I'm flexible, so tell me what you gotJ.

3) Format:

I want a headlamp.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

I want it light enough for it not to get uncomfortable with continuous use > 1 hour.

5) Emitter/Light source:

I'm flexible, but gravitate toward LED.

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I'm flexible, but would like to least having the option of using alkaline batteries.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

Any of the below would be attractive. Ideally, I'd also like the option to reduce the light intensity.

5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

Ideally, at least:

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I don't care, or I don't know that I care..

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

Ideally I'd like at least 2 light levels -- a max level and a lower level that is sufficient for close-up work (e.g., cooking at a dark campsite) but uses less batter.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

I don't care, so long as it's reasonably durable.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

None.

Many thanks in advance for all your suggestions!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire Saint. You can find them just over $100. Infinite adjustable brightness (.2-100 lumens), can run off 1-2 or 3 CR123's. Can also run of AA's if needed. Uber tough construction. Not the lightest headlamp in existence, but they are VERY comfortable to wear. Oh, and with the build quality and excellent CS, this will probably be the last headlamp you will need to buy...ever. So, by spending the few extra bucks over your $100 limit, you'll actually save money in the long-run. And when you decide to expand your activities (maybe take up spelunking/kayaking???), you won't have to upgrade your headlamp. Welcome to CPF, BTW!

wheel

Newly Enlightened
Surefire Saint. You can find them just over $100. Infinite adjustable brightness (.2-100 lumens), can run off 1-2 or 3 CR123's. Can also run of AA's if needed. Uber tough construction. Not the lightest headlamp in existence, but they are VERY comfortable to wear. Oh, and with the build quality and excellent CS, this will probably be the last headlamp you will need to buy...ever. So, by spending the few extra bucks over your $100 limit, you'll actually save money in the long-run. And when you decide to expand your activities (maybe take up spelunking/kayaking???), you won't have to upgrade your headlamp. Welcome to CPF, BTW!

slightly over $100 sounds like a great price for the Saint. Who has them at that price? Thanks

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen them on the MP for around $135. You ahve to really hunt, for specials, discounts, etc. I got my Saint minimus delivered from Cabelas for $85 when they were having one of their specials. Also, alot of online light dealers offer CPF members discounts.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a headlamp sub-forum in CPF that'll be more helpful.

I like the Zebralight H51w... single AA, tiny, 0.2 to almost 200 lumens, 3 low low modes to preserve night vision and batts, max runtime of 300+ hours on moonlight (I could live with it if necessary), and even without the included headband the 90-degree angle light w/clip gives you all sorts of hands-free options over a traditional flashlight, yet pocketability over a traditional headlamp.

sinoslav

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all of you. I will repost in the headlamp subforum. Quick follow-up questions though: angelofwar, so you would recommend the Surefire Saint Minimus? I could bring myself to spend $135. Reppans: I took a look at the zebralight h51w online. Are there issues with its mount angle shifting while it's on the headband? It looks like it could conceivably be a problem given the mounting setup, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.