Good soldering gun?

bobski

Newly Enlightened
ckthorp said:
Go for a WES51. The heatup time is about 20 seconds. Literally. It's fast and accurate. I've got one in my lab at work and love the thing.
+1 for Weller.
I used to have a WTCPN (the current incarnation of which is the WTCPT) station that I... uh, "borrowed" from my dad. Evidently he got it the same way from his dad (my grandfather). I had to replace the heater coil (probably the original) at one point and replace a few tips after foolishly sanding them down to get a finer point (Weller tips are multi-layered - sanding them makes them corrode), but it was otherwise trouble-free.
The design's simplicity makes it pretty much bullet-proof. The tip undergoes some kind of mechanical or magnetic change depending on temperature, so the iron's temperature is set by what tip you have installed (I always used a 700° tip). A magnetic switch in the tube of the pencil picks up on that change and toggles the heater on and off. There's an audible click when the thermostat switches states, which lets you know the iron is up to temperature... It took less than a minute to go from stone cold to ready IIRC. All the base has in it is a fuse, switch, power light and transformer. There's not much to wear out or break.
After discovering that he was using a cheapie plug-in pencil iron, I returned the WTCPN to my dad a little over a year ago and picked up a Weller WESD51 to replace it - It's the WES51 with a digital display. No complaints so far. According to the display, it heats up in under 30 secs and consistantly keeps the tip within 20°F (±3° while idle) of it's set temperature, no matter what I'm doing.
[edit]
Oh... I also carry a Weller Portasol 2 around in my car tool kit. Nothing but good experiences there as well, if you're looking for something butane powered. I wouldn't expect nearly the level of regulation you get from an electric soldering station, but it excells as a go-anywhere iron. I think I got it at lowes for $30 or $40 - just the basic iron, no case or extra tips.
[/edit]

Last edited:

Phredd

Enlightened
ckthorp said:
Go for a WES51. The heatup time is about 20 seconds. Literally. It's fast and accurate. I've got one in my lab at work and love the thing.

I just took your advice. For anyone still deciding, there's a $20 rebate until the end of April. It's posted on HMCElectronics site.

Phredd

ken2400

Enlightened
From the what it's worth department I have seen them at the $1 stores. They may take a little time to heat up BUT some are not too bad for basic stuff.

Good luck

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Hakko temperature controlled one a while back. It was $69. Worth every penny. It is an 85 watt ceramic heater element thermostatically controlled iron. It is set to 800 degrees, non-adjustable. This is the best iron I have ever had. It has brute strength heat up as far as power, but will not get any hotter than 800 degrees because of the thermostat. It is great for soldering those wires onto components that are already attached to the heat sink. If the tip cools down, 85 watts is applied to it to bring it back up to 800 degrees. I have never had as good results.

I have also been to the Nasa/USAF High Reliability Soldering and Connections school. I still have the manual from the course. This was a 2 week long VERY intense and demanding school. (It was 20 years ago, back when we still had to solder on flat packs). I will scan it in as a PDF and post it here if there is any interest. It is a VERY good how to book about materials, theory, and techniques.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
CodeOfLight said:
I have also been to the Nasa/USAF High Reliability Soldering and Connections school. I still have the manual from the course. This was a 2 week long VERY intense and demanding school. (It was 20 years ago, back when we still had to solder on flat packs). I will scan it in as a PDF and post it here if there is any interest. It is a VERY good how to book about materials, theory, and techniques.

I'd be very interested in seeing that. Anyone else? I wouldn't want him to take the time to do it just for a couple of people...

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
CodeOfLight said:
Yep, I'd be very interested in seeing that also, if it's not to much trouble. BTW, great thread guys, thanks.

rivethead147

Newly Enlightened
bit late but weller hands down, i have three, they all work, and the first one i've had for 22 years now. drop the money on it, the cost saving long run is well worth it if you are planning to use it often. if it's novelty and a decent one, find one with similar weller specs with variable temp gauge

Daekar

Enlightened
I would definitely like to see the manual as well! I picked up one of these a little while ago but I'm lacking training - I know the very basics, but I don't know how, how often, or what to use to clean the tip with. Any input?

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
CodeOfLight said:
It is set to 800 degrees, non-adjustable.

I have also been to the Nasa/USAF High Reliability Soldering and Connections school.
800 is rather hot for modern electronics. Soldering heat is a serious failure mechanism that dramatically shortens the life of solid-state electronics. 700 is correct for rosin flux, 650 for no-clean flux. Any hotter and you're over stressing the electronics and burning the flux off way too fast.

Is the manual similar to the one I linked in post #11?

CodeOfLight

Newly Enlightened
800 is the only preset one they had that was thermostatically controlled (uder $250, that is).

The manual I mentioned is nothing like the link in post 11. Is is from the Air Force/ Nasa school. It was 8 hours per day - 2 weeks long, and it was hell getting through. We worked on about 30 different solder joints and you had to bring the instructor a perfect one, and I mean PERFECT, or you could not proceed to the next one. Many did not get thier diplomas.

ckthorp

Newly Enlightened
CodeOfLight said:
800 is the only preset one they had that was thermostatically controlled (uder $250, that is).

The manual I mentioned is nothing like the link in post 11. Is is from the Air Force/ Nasa school. It was 8 hours per day - 2 weeks long, and it was hell getting through. We worked on about 30 different solder joints and you had to bring the instructor a perfect one, and I mean PERFECT, or you could not proceed to the next one. Many did not get thier diplomas.

I was just wondering if the new manual was an evolution of the one from the '60s. Sounds like an excellent manual! I'd love to see it. +1 for wanting the manual scanned. :)

Latest posts