Got a 4 "D" cell Maglite back up and running with rechargeable long battery I got on ebay.

Humpy

Newly Enlightened
HQRP 3500mAh Battery for Maglite 201701 40070249 ESR4EE3060 ET2600D ML5000

Above is the title to search for on ebay. 3500 mAH battery for by 4 D cell Maglite I have had for a number of years. I built a charger adapter out of PVC tubing and charge these batteries with a Schumacher 6/12 Volt 1 amp trickle charger. Charged up with the 12 volt setting it holds 6.59 volts.

It is my understanding these batteries will take hundreds of recharges.

Oh yeah, watch carefully when you shop for the long batteries and many of them are only 2500 mAH.

turbodog

Flashaholic
You say '4d' mag, but my experience is that the 5x1/2D cells fit into a '3d' tube, essentially the same as a magcharger model.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The search returned A battery stick for a magcharger, 5x1/2D cells, the stick is around 2.5D length, are you using a spacer in your 4D in order to use the battery?
Those that have been here long enough know, capacity ratings are often false, when i read 2500mah cells we know the battery uses nicd 1/2D cells, when i read 3500mah, i know it is a nimh 1/2D cells, which no reputable manufacturer makes. origin of such cells is unknown, but for long timers here it is a red flag, such "unknown" cells almost always not only underperform, but fail quite often with alarming regularity.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
As turbodog said in post #2, M*gCharger battery stick has same size of 3 D cells (about 180mm) and will fit in 3D M*g without any spacer.

Humpy

Newly Enlightened
My MagLite 4 D Cell is 12 9/16" long. The battery (described above is 6 15/16" long not counting the end that contacts the bulb and 1 1/4"diameter diameter. I checked voltage on it when I unpacked it and it had 6. 36 volts. Lable says it is a 6 volt battery. I inserted 4 D cells in it and it lit. I sent my MagLite 3 D Cell back to factory as the 1.5V common batteries leaked and took out light. I am trading it in on another ML150 thus I will have two of them. They called me yesterday and I gave them the payment info so I should have it within a week.

Now that being said I have a 5 D cell medium head Kel Lite and it is 15 7/16" long and works. Wish it had a LED bulb.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
My MagLite 4 D Cell is 12 9/16" long. The battery (described above is 6 15/16" long not counting the end that contacts the bulb and 1 1/4"diameter diameter. I checked voltage on it when I unpacked it and it had 6. 36 volts. Lable says it is a 6 volt battery. I inserted 4 D cells in it and it lit. I sent my MagLite 3 D Cell back to factory as the 1.5V common batteries leaked and took out light. I am trading it in on another ML150 thus I will have two of them. They called me yesterday and I gave them the payment info so I should have it within a week.

Now that being said I have a 5 D cell medium head Kel Lite and it is 15 7/16" long and works. Wish it had a LED bulb.
If your Maglite is 129/16" long (head to tail cap), then it's a 3D M*g and total length of 3D batteries is almost same size of M*gCharger battery pack and your (HQRP 3500mAh Battery for Maglite) battery will fit perfectly inside your 3D M*glite (No spacer needed).
Remember your rechargeable battery voltage is about 6 volt under load but 3 Alkaline D cells has voltage of 3.6 volt under load.
5D bulb will work perfectly with your rechargeable battery.