GOT MY NEW BOXER !!! /Mini Review

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
guys i have been hit on custom fees on $60 items it goes on value.did you know it is only around £7 limit before you get stung but i have found items marked under $30 seem to get through ok.good luck if it gets through but my guess is you will get charged.sorry.

Lumalee

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I know we are going slightly off thread here, but, its very easy to try and take advantage of the awesome £ to $ rate at the moment, as things are cheaper than ever in the US then we have the rate on top of that, but..... If you can ask the seller to reduce the value of the parcel and also make sure it is marked gift on the USPS note then the chances of it being pulled by Parcelforce and ultimately customs are greatly reduced.
I spent nearly half an hour arguing with some snotty " iam am here to do a job and not help you" type person at HM customs regarding my WE Boxer and I explained it was a working sample for trial by Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team, which it is when I have finished playing with it for a few days, and she said even if its a sample and even then for a charity like MRT, if there is a value on it over £18 it will be scrutinised by Parcelforce who will then submit the parcel to HM customs for analysis as to which import catagory it falls under, thus allowing them to calculate duty and VAT, then Parcelforce slap there £13.50 handling fee ontop of all that. That is the official standpoint, so I said well.... this week alone I have had parcels from the US totalling $800, one of them was $400, one was $100, and finally one at $300, and I said these parcels werent subject to any fees at all, her reply....."you were lucky then" !! So I said well customs and excise is a pot luck organisation, is that what you are telling me ??
She said "Yup" she also went on to say if the item you are shipping is DONATED to you then it is not subject to any charges, so there you go...If you are reading this Matt at Battery Junction, John at Lighthound, Mike at Pacific, its donations we want and lots of 'em, lol.

Basically keep the value under $40 and mark it as gift, this way you should be exempt and get thru.

Lee

data_lore

Newly Enlightened
Interesting. I went on holiday with my family many years ago to Florida. We tried a fishing trip from Key West and my brother caught a HUGE dolphin (the marlin escaped that day.)

We decided to get a taxidermist to properly sort this fish, and upon arrival in the UK it ended-up in customs. They promply ripped it apart looking for drugs. It was rendered useless. We were quoted for a repair and it was deemed beyond economical repair. We lost $600.

They make their own rules, do customs - and nowadays they tend to look for reasons to charge us for mundane objects. Nevermind drugs, alcohol or tobacco, it all goes into Gordon Brown's fat wallet to fund his cigar, whisky and Jaguar habit.

I DO APOLOGISE if I have upset anyone with this post :eeksign:

Sincerely,

Rich.

Sorry I know we are going slightly off thread here, but, its very easy to try and take advantage of the awesome £ to $ rate at the moment, as things are cheaper than ever in the US then we have the rate on top of that, but..... If you can ask the seller to reduce the value of the parcel and also make sure it is marked gift on the USPS note then the chances of it being pulled by Parcelforce and ultimately customs are greatly reduced.
I spent nearly half an hour arguing with some snotty " iam am here to do a job and not help you" type person at HM customs regarding my WE Boxer and I explained it was a working sample for trial by Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team, which it is when I have finished playing with it for a few days, and she said even if its a sample and even then for a charity like MRT, if there is a value on it over £18 it will be scrutinised by Parcelforce who will then submit the parcel to HM customs for analysis as to which import catagory it falls under, thus allowing them to calculate duty and VAT, then Parcelforce slap there £13.50 handling fee ontop of all that. That is the official standpoint, so I said well.... this week alone I have had parcels from the US totalling $800, one of them was $400, one was $100, and finally one at $300, and I said these parcels werent subject to any fees at all, her reply....."you were lucky then" !! So I said well customs and excise is a pot luck organisation, is that what you are telling me ??
She said "Yup" she also went on to say if the item you are shipping is DONATED to you then it is not subject to any charges, so there you go...If you are reading this Matt at Battery Junction, John at Lighthound, Mike at Pacific, its donations we want and lots of 'em, lol.

Basically keep the value under $40 and mark it as gift, this way you should be exempt and get thru.

Lee

j3bnl

Enlightened
My 24w Boxer arrived today from the US (bought from a CPF member). He was good enough to mark its value at $40.

No UK customs duty.:twothumbs

By the way the light is truly awesome (you already knew that I guess) and I cant wait until it gets dark to see it in all its glory.
Also took the advice and bought a Peli 1200 case (got a small 1010 case free).

http://i19.tinypic.com/5yipd3q.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/4qqicky.jpg

Brian

Last edited:

Lumalee

Newly Enlightened
@ Brian/Rich

Sorry guys I know there is a bit of pride at stake here, but could you tell me how much these lights now stand you at, delivered UK, with all customs fee's etc, just to help with my research (brian ;) lol)

Cheers

Lee

data_lore

Newly Enlightened
In total, it has cost me around £250 Lee. Still, I'm happy with the purchase - it'll help me out if I come across any poachers. Worth every penny if it stops me from getting knifed.

Lumalee

Newly Enlightened
@Rich (datalore)
Cheers for that, Rich, mine stands me at just about the same too !! its a sweet deal until the HM customs get hold of it, lol

cheers for the PM too Brian.

Regards

Lee