got some Sylvania Dot-Its really impressed

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my second IT-Dot.Mod. probably one of the harder mods i have ever done, because of the lack of total space, not to mention the glue, and the plastic, and the cheap switch and. . . anyways its cool, a pic and a video

DSC01126.JPG

Movie of it running 1/2MEG low res , cruddy compression

http://home.comcast.net/~tvv0/MOV01161.MPG

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i donno, this is one of those "Dont Try This At Home" things, because its neither worth it, and it will drive you INSANE. because i am already insane , its not a problem for me :)

http://home.comcast.net/~tvv0/DSC01089.jpg
this is the First mod, 9x100ma white leds , runs off the alkaline batts.

newbies pics are excelent, i just drilled the metal, and stuck leds in, and had 1mm of clearnace. it was terrible.
you can see the resister in newbies pics above. i just tossed in ni-mhy batts, and put a diode in place of the resister.
trying to get a voltage control for the color leds.

the inside leds (3) were easy to replace, i used 7sec rgb changers there, the others around the ring use fast rgb changers.
the problems would be a big list.
1) the hunk of light aluminum is glued, even with the heat gun, i couldnt get it off without tiny bits of damage.
2) that same thin aluminum has gotta hold the leds, and there isnt really space for glue , so if its dropped they will resess.
3) the switch is very low current capable.
4) the holes have to be within 2mm of the round part, or the switch will not work
5) no space for curcuit boards, or plastic coated wire, and the leds need to have thier legs to be heat synced.
6) no room to work
7) with the holes, the aluminum is even flimsier than it was.
8) as you noticed all the leds and legs and connections have to be very flat and rounded into the beveled corner.
9) the batteries are stuck behind 3 Screws, putting power vaccumes in , without a charge connector, is really dumb.
10) the top reflector plate, is stuck on posts that are heat pressed after it was assembled, luckily it can come off and go back on still, but it makes it hard to test
11) the bottom led and swtich holder is also on posts, that are heat squished, and they break easily, so ya might have to glue it down after
12) almost all aspects of the thing, are not designed for dissasembly, like todays cars :) all plastic and junk thin metals, that snap together and dont come apart untill it goes to the recycle bin.

Last edited:

dehnehsu

Newly Enlightened
For all those who cant find the Dot-Its at Wal-Mart. I've searched here in the Calif. Bay Area and could not find them at any of our Wal-Marts but when I was getting spark plugs for my car at a Kragen Auto Parts store, I looked over and spotted the Dot-Its hanging on an end cap. They were $9.99. Kragen is also known as Shuck's Auto Supply and Checker Auto Parts in other parts of the country.

metalhed

Enlightened
Yeah, I picked one up at Kragen yesterday.

Stuck it to the side of the toilet aimed at the tub. No more burnt retinas and stubbed toes from having to turn on the bathroom light (which I usually don't do anyway).

Now I just stumble in, slap the side of the tank, and voila!: no more missing the bowl 'cause I can't see it.

:eeew:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
cracks in new Sylvania Dot-It

I bought the last Sylvania Dot-It at the closest Super Walmart today. The saleswoman said that Dot-It sales at their store were poor after Christmas so they sent back the remaining stock, except for the one I bought. It was located in the auto parts department.

There are stress cracks in the plastic base and the bottom cover around all 3 screw holes. Is this a common defect?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: cracks in new Sylvania Dot-It

parnass said:
...There are stress cracks in the plastic base and the bottom cover around all 3 screw holes. Is this a common defect?
I just examined my Dot-IT for this defect, and did not find it.
Yes, I used another flashlight to examine this light. :) :D :thumbsup: :D :)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
This photograph shows some of the cracks I found around each of the 3 screw holes on the Dot-It I bought today. (Sorry if it isn't very clear. I used a flatbed scanner instead of a camera.)

dotit1.jpg

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
VidPro said:
Here is my second IT-Dot.Mod. probably one of the harder mods i have ever done, because of the lack of total space, not to mention the glue, and the plastic, and the cheap switch and. . . anyways its cool, a pic and a video...
Very, very, VERY cool (or "kewl" or "kool")!!!!!!!!! :) :D :thumbsup: :D :)
Does it still operate from three AAA cells, or have you powered it via some other means?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
Very, very, VERY cool (or "kewl" or "kool")!!!!!!!!! :) :D :thumbsup: :D :)
Does it still operate from three AAA cells, or have you powered it via some other means?

one uses the alkalines that are in it
the colored one uses Ni-Mhy batts, it runs longer than i would have thought.

i WAS gonna put 2x li-ion and a charge connector in, but i still dont have the li-ion yet, so i dont know if that will ever be done.
there is just enough room in one AAA battery slot, to stick in all the charge electronics and charge connector, and the 600ma of li-ion would still be basically relative when run at high output.
IF i did accomplish that, then i would not have to unscrew the (#^$@%) thing to get the batteries charged.

the alkalines that it came with are quite amazing IMO, they seem to be very good bats, and a good choice for the 3x leds, and a screw on back.

Last edited:

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old thread, but I wanted to mention that these lights are still darn hard to find in-store!

The only place I've seen them in the Bay Area is at local Kragen/Autozone car part stores for around $10 each, ouch.

My econo car lacks map lights up front, so I stuck a Sylvania onto the bottom of each sun visor and it worked out perfectly.

I've seen a similar type of light (one of those As-Seen-On-TV products) that comes in a 3-pack, but unfortunately they're only one led each instead of three. Also saw some generic ones with more LEDs for cheap, but haven't tried them yet: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=UTIL&cart_id=8033710.26095

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Costco has, or had, anyway, a product very similar to this. A 3-pack, with batteries, for about $12.00, IIRC. They take 3 AAs. Five LEDs. Two levels (not a big change between the two). The bezel pivots in the frame a bit, giving it a bit of aim-ability. They come with velcro pads that cover the entire back so you can stick 'em up somewhere. They also have screw holes. (Don't recall if screws are included.) Run-time isn't real terrific. I've accidentally left one of mine on once-or-twice, and it was pretty much out of it 12 hours later--maybe less.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
SEMIJim said:
Costco has, or had, anyway, a product very similar to this. A 3-pack, with batteries, for about $12.00, IIRC. They take 3 AAs. Five LEDs. Two levels (not a big change between the two). The bezel pivots in the frame a bit, giving it a bit of aim-ability. They come with velcro pads that cover the entire back so you can stick 'em up somewhere. They also have screw holes. (Don't recall if screws are included.) Run-time isn't real terrific. I've accidentally left one of mine on once-or-twice, and it was pretty much out of it 12 hours later--maybe less.

These sound like some I've seen at BJ's Warehouse. I think they were $16. Also, I saw Dot-Its at the checkout line in a Lowe's yesterday and have seen them at Advance Auto Parts.

Geoff

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
It probably appears slightly brighter in my picture below than it actually is, but the lights are definitely adequate for reading in the car seat at night.

sylvaniadotitxp0.jpg

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Led_Blind said:
DX had something very similar... any one see it?
Yeah, I just picked up the DX version, and compared it to my DOT-its from last year.

DX light is definitely cheaper build, LEDs have a bluer tint and are a bit less bright, switch is "squishy" with less tactile feedback, and the clear plastic cover is not quite as transparent as the DOT-it lights. Also comes with magnetic base instead of 3M sticky surface.

All said and done though, not bad for the price. Probably worth picking up 4 of these over the cost of one DOT-it around here ...