Greenlight goes camping

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I post some pics here if any turn out this weekend? I'm bringing a cheapy digital cam, the pics it takes are really hit or miss.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Omega Man said:
Can I post some pics here if any turn out this weekend? I'm bringing a cheapy digital cam, the pics it takes are really hit or miss.
Please leave this thread for my personal camping adventures. I have more planned and am going to post them here.

tygger

Enlightened
hey Greenlight,

I'm trying to plan a river camping trip similar to yours. No more than class II as I'm a beginner. Where along the eel river did you start and end? Would you recommend it for a newbie? If not, where else?

thanks

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just returned from my annual rafting trip with dad. We spent a week on the Trinity/Klamath river. The weather was great, with sun and swimming each day.
m_wsrnc2.gif

Here's me running a big rapid:
2007Trinity_Klamathrivertrip054.jpg

A nice campsite:
2007Trinity_Klamathrivertrip127.jpg

We had lunch in a nice meadow:
IMG_7471.jpg

IMG_7478.jpg

Viewing petroglyphs:
2007Trinity_Klamathrivertrip084.jpg

I cooked some nice dinners:
2007Trinity_Klamathrivertrip246.jpg

This year I brought 5 flashlights:
Gerber Firecracker
Infinity green led
Gerber sonic
Streamlight Lux. Jr.
Garrity 3aaa led headlamp
IMG_7344.jpg

-
IMG_7341.jpg

-
IMG_7339.jpg

-
It was the week of the new moon, so it was dark all night. I was looking forward to using my lights, but we were tired and went to bed soon after dark. I used the sonic the most because it is the least bright of the lights I brought. It was good for reading. The Streamlight is a good bright light, and mine glows so it is easy to find at night (to look for other flashlights). The Gerber Firecracker is a great little light that throws really far. It penetrates into distant trees and has little annoying spill light. I was looking for eyes watching me. I never used the headlamp or the green infinity, oh well. Once or twice I woke up and needed a light; having a glowing flashlight really helped. Otherwise, there was little need for artificial lights. No one brought a lantern, and flashlight usage was minimal at best. I didn't even get to show off my flashlights or compare with the other guys. Mostly to help get ready for bed. We had a lot of daylight, so I guess in other seasons a flashlight would be more useful.

At the end of the trip we paddled out to the Pacific ocean and spent the night on the beach. There were hundreds of seals and sea lions. Native tribespeople were spear fishing and hunting for eels at night with flashlights. It was very peaceful and the moon finally came out. It's not clear in the picture, but it's a small crescent moon.
2007Trinity_Klamathrivertrip258.jpg

When I woke up in the morning, this was the view from my tent:
2007Trinity_Klamathrivertrip272.jpg

It was really great to get away and spend some time with my dad. Nothing changed at home while I was gone. And the world didn't stop without me around for a week.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Thanks for sharing greenlight! I always enjoy it when folks "share their adventures" - I need to get out more often! :ohgeez:

tygger

Enlightened
You just made my day. Again, thanks for sharing the wonderful photos AND for including the map!

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics! I really enjoy camping too!
Next month I´ll gonna camp in a jungle, with some friends, here in Brasil!

Thanx for posting! :wave:

cup

Newly Enlightened
I'm into white water rafting myself, seeing the pictures and reading the reports from your camping was fun, I certainly miss some outdoor time but I'll have to wait till the spring.

http://www.mykayakingbuddies.com/

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
See, rest of America, California is more than the concrete jungles of Los Angeles & San Francisco! Thanks for the pictures, greenlight! :twothumbs

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're planning on leaving June 21. It should be another great trip. This year my youngest brother is coming along. He's 17 and just graduating from high school. (I'm going to try to get him to do some of the heavy work, like carrying rocks for the tents).

We're rafting the same river this year (Trinity/Klamath to Pacific Ocean). The trip is later this year and that river is guaranteed to have good flow all year long. Also, it's easy to get to.

I just ordered a new camera to replace my broken Canon. I chose the Canon A590 for its reasonable price and feature set, including manual control and AA batteries. I expect it will be good. I'd like to go DSLR, but haven't bothered due to the price and expecting to break the damn thing on the rocks or in the river.

Here's my menu contribution for the trip:

Couscous with chicken and salmon:
  • Chicken soup/canned salmon/canned mussels
  • Potato/carrots/celery
  • Salt/pepper
  • Ginger
  • Olives
  • Pistachios
  • Couscous
Beef Chili:
  • 2 cans chili/black beans
  • can of corn, jalapenos, can of salmon
  • spices, rice,
  • chips
Beef Barley soup with lentils:
  • Add celery/carrots/potato
  • Salt/pepper
  • Couscous
These are guaranteed to have the guys scraping the bottom of the pot for the last bit.

Some fresh limes and tabasco sauce are great to top off a delicious meal.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're starting during the full moon this year, so flashlight use will be minimal. I'm bringing along my coast AA lenser, gerber FIRECRACKER, gerber sonic, and I think that's it. Even that's overkill. Walking around on a sandy beach with the full moon out hardly even calls for a flashlight. They mostly get used for reading before bed or showing off.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trip sounds like a blast!!

I returned my Coast AA lenser because it was too unreliable. Just a couple of drops from 4-5 feet rendered it useless.

Not sure about your other lights, but I bought the Zebralight H50 Q5, which I would think would be nice in case it's cloudy. Also a Fenix L1D or L2D would be great for longer distance throw.

Have fun!!

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a little bit of video editing before my equipment failure. You can view a few vids that I uploaded. I'm no Spielberg, but I got something:

I'm the final rafter. I always go first or last so that I can do most of the camera work.

On this trip there was very little flashlight usage. I mostly used my gerber sonic, which is the very minimum.

Last edited: