GTL 18650 Battery Test [ Updated ]

rschultz101

Newly Enlightened
capacity you got from you GTL 2800mah ?

1100mah at 1A down to 3V, 4.11V start voltage
1647mah at 0.5A down to 3V

doing a new test, ultrafire charger,... cell shows 4.22V
while my hyperion charger , does 4.11V ??

still like to find out what's the max you ever got out of them ?

did not cycle them, any tips how to cycle them ?
how to break them in?
how many cycles, charge 1A , discharge maybe to 3.4 , do it maybe 3x ?
and how does the rest time work? think it's bad to discharge right after full blast charge ?

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actual capacity , probably around 1400mA [ Not very flash ]
Max ? Run time ? Havent measured that after the test .

Cycling ? Li-ions should not need cycling , nicads yes .

Lion - break in - Some folks cycle there Li-ions @ 500mA on a hobby charger to try and condition the battery for best capacity ... [ Gentle ]

I give my batteries about 1 hours rest after charging ...
Is it bad to use them right after charging ? I dont think so ?

Li-ion have a use life of about 5 years , and whether U use them or not they will degrade , they degrade slower in the fridge and if you wish to store them then about 80% capacity is better . But after 5 years there some what stuffed ... Did I hear 10% loss per year ... I would expect this to be also very dependent on each individual cell .

I still use a GTL in a L2 XP-G R5 .. Though I dont expect a great deal of runtime as it sux up to 1.8A @ the tail .

For the price , the GTL are disappointing , you can buy Ultrafire or Trustfire for that price and have a much better cell , and they will maintain higher capacity for 5 years .

The only thing I liked about the GTL is its low internal resistance and high discharge rate .. Otherwise there are much better batteries to chose from for the same price .

ptolemy

Enlightened
i did 2 of mine today (gtl's) 1100 from 4.2 to 3.0 at 1a.

charging them now to do it at .5a

Bakimir

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody,

I have a question about the first charge of li-ion batteries. I have a metal detector that has a battery pack consisting of eight 3.7 V li-ion batteries, with 2000 mAh. Recently couple of the batteries died so i decided to change all of them with the GTL batteries. The charger that comes with the battery pack has some kind of inteligent charging, which charges the batteries in periodic times. I am guessing it has something with the temperature of the batteries. After 3-4 hours the charger shut downs and a led diode indicator signals that the battery pack is fully charged and it is ready to use. Do you think that with this way of charging i cannot succeed the maximum capacity of all of the batteries? I am guessing that the original batteries were fully charged on some other device in the factory, before they were implemented in the battery pack. I see this as a way that you cannot change the batteries yourself. Tell me what do you think? Have any of you guys encountered the same problem?
Sorry for my bad english. This is my first post.:)

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everybody,

I have a question about the first charge of li-ion batteries. I have a metal detector that has a battery pack consisting of eight 3.7 V li-ion batteries, with 2000 mAh. Recently couple of the batteries died so i decided to change all of them with the GTL batteries. The charger that comes with the battery pack has some kind of inteligent charging, which charges the batteries in periodic times. I am guessing it has something with the temperature of the batteries. After 3-4 hours the charger shut downs and a led diode indicator signals that the battery pack is fully charged and it is ready to use. Do you think that with this way of charging i cannot succeed the maximum capacity of all of the batteries? I am guessing that the original batteries were fully charged on some other device in the factory, before they were implemented in the battery pack. I see this as a way that you cannot change the batteries yourself. Tell me what do you think? Have any of you guys encountered the same problem?
Sorry for my bad english. This is my first post.:)

I would open up the detector , and with a Multi Meter measure the voltage of each cell , if there even , you have little to worry about .

If there not even , then you may need to individually charge the cells .

themotorman

Newly Enlightened
My initial tests on the GTL li-ion give about 800 mAhrs NOT 2800!! I did notice that i can discharge to zero and then recharge.. I wonder if these are really li-ion cells or three nicads in the same can?? !!

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
My initial tests on the GTL li-ion give about 800 mAhrs NOT 2800!! I did notice that i can discharge to zero and then recharge.. I wonder if these are really li-ion cells or three nicads in the same can?? !!

Hi all !
I'am new here (as a writer ) and I have found this topic by searches on the web about GTL batteries.

I bought 6 of these cells to repack a laptop battery. But in my first tests, after about 2-3 charges, a cell has died (~0.25V).
In addition, the capacity of the repacked battery was very bad, badder than with orignal cells and recuperated cells from other pack.

I have open a cell to see what is exactly inside (with a lot of care, of
course) and :

gtl_18650_1.jpg

gtl_18650_2.jpg

gtl_18650_3.jpg

gtl_18650_4.jpg

This is li-ion.
The surprise was when measuring the voltage on the circle (positive) on the second photo : it is >4.00V ! What has happend to the cell ? When closed, 0.25V on the top.. with cap removed 4V ! (but I have not tried to load the cell).

Final words : cheap and very bad cells. never buy this again.

If someone has link to homebuild charger/discharger to measure the capacity, I am interested !

(sorry for my poor english...)

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a hobby charger !

Set it to cycle , charge + discharge , and it should report the capacity for each cycle ...
Nice pictures + PS , TOXIC ! POISON ! , I hope you took appropriate precautions ...

Last edited:

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
Something like this :

http://www.all-battery.com/tenergyb-b6sbalancingcharger90252.aspx#

Do you have ref (model or a post in this forum) about hobby chargers ?

Thank you. Yes, all was done in free air, with security glasses, gloves. All was fine, only a small heating of the cell.

Some one has an idea of what happend to this cell ? "Inside" was functionning, but bad contact with the top cap ? Is there an expert :wave:

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
They look like the typical high-current, low-capacity batteries made for tools.
At this point I am inclined to believe that the GTLs ARE tool batteries re-packaged and re-labeled to appear as consumer' 18650s.

Anthony

SemperFi

Banned
....At this point I am inclined to believe that the GTLs ARE tool batteries re-packaged and re-labeled to appear as consumer' 18650s.

Anthony

gtl_18650_4.jpg

:drool:....potential tell-tale signs of dumping the global market with disguised "hazardous" materials that went away unregulated and below the suspicious radar?

Perhaps this innocent discovery may become the start of unravelling yet another Pandora Box over Chinese-made origin "waste" but still workable as usage item that is fundamentally harmful or unsuitable for domestic utilization? :mad:
Any thought about using this reference discovery to be referred to Authorities responsible for looking into such imported goods?

Last edited:

shadowjk

Enlightened
There's something funny about "re-labeled to appear as consumer' 18650s."... I've never considered any 18650 style batteries to be consumer batteries, ever...

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
gtl_18650_4.jpg

:drool:....potential tell-tale signs of dumping the global market with disguised "hazardous" materials that went away unregulated and below the suspicious radar?

Perhaps this innocent discovery may become the start of unravelling yet another Pandora Box over Chinese-made origin "waste" but still workable as usage item that is fundamentally harmful or unsuitable for domestic utilization? :mad:
Any thought about using this reference discovery to be referred to Authorities responsible for looking into such imported goods?

Sorry, I am not sure to understand all very well.

Do you mean that this cell is made with poor materials ? / Hazardous materials ?
Do you can say this only with the picture ?

I thank you per advance for explication (with simple words plz ;) )

SemperFi

Banned
There's something funny about "re-labeled to appear as consumer' 18650s."... I've never considered any 18650 style batteries to be consumer batteries, ever...

Hahaaaa.... if you are referring it in the literal sense of the word.... well, certainly not.:naughty: Unlike if you were to swallow it as a breakfast cereal... hahaaa!!!

"Consumer" analogy here meaning, its ending up in the private homes like YOU and me having it for personal, domestic purpose and/or utilization. Better put, "End Consumer" as is usually referred to.:thumbsup:

SemperFi

Banned

Do you mean that this cell is made with poor materials ? / Hazardous materials ?

Not necessarily as "poor" quality or as a material product. But if it DOES NOT qualify or be "Certified" for domestic usage under standards devoted to protect "End Consumers", then it may undoubtedly pose as hazardous.

Well, description in itself does raise concerns and pictures certainly help to get or rid off complacency attitudes... to get the chap behind the desk... Mmmmmoving...:devil:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thank you per advance for explication (with simple words plz ;) )

gtl_18650_2.jpg

You can clearly see the 4 weld marks on the cell's original positive cap. This shows that this cell was used in a battery pack, or at the very least, used to have tabs pre-welded onto it. The same welds should be present on the negative end of the cell. To hide these, rebadgers put a button-top on top of the original, and put a protective plate on the bottom (or a protection circuit, if the cell is "protected").

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can clearly see the 4 weld marks on the cell's original positive cap. This shows that this cell was used in a battery pack, or at the very least,.

Wow i didnt even think about that, just asumed that the user had already applied it somewhere, or applied it then realised that it didnt do what they want.

""I bought 6 of these cells to repack a laptop battery. ""

So these might be REJECT or USED cell items, that is terrible. how low will they go?

Last edited:

Mkala

Newly Enlightened
SemperFi > thank your for clarification. These cells are in "parrallel market", but I think they are badder that you imagine...

bshanahan14rulz, VidPro > When I disassembled them, I found strange the double cap conception... but now all is clear !

These cells are cells that can not be validated.. or used cell even ! :mad:

I have took more photos of the "recapping" :

gtl_18650_5.jpg

We see clearly two old welding points on the cell "main" cap

gtl_18650_6.jpg

At the bottom, this is exactly as you say : protective plate

gtl_18650_7.jpg

When I remove the plate (very easily, no good welded), we see 4 weld points at the center... but the used to fix this plate are 3 point on the exterior.

On the cell I can read this :

AK1 2A
C

I have not be able to test these cells, because I have not a hobby charger, and the repacking was not successful :
- these cells was badder that older I took from another pack
- the pack was a smart battery, and I have not be able to reset the fuel gauge chip to original value

I have two cell not used. If someone want them for a test and put the results here, I offer them (you pay only the shipping cost)

Thank all for your help, we are moving against these products rotten!

SemperFi

Banned
Well, another one :

There are other reasons I'll be wary using LiIon cells with added button tops instead of integrated +ve modules. Depending on how the button tops are added, you may have the moving nipple syndrome :

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3513445&postcount=21

The point and caution to be addressed here is: just how does one gets to know B4 hand and not getting caught up in buying it and opening it up just to prove one's suspicions about this kind of "counterfeit cells" floating on the global market under a disguised brand and supposedly offering 100% genuine performance?