GTL 18650 'click' of DEATH

Milan

Newly Enlightened
I bought some GTL 18650 few weeks ago after reading they are 1400mAh which confirmed they are not *TOTAL* crap and could be useful.
For 2,4 USD a pair I wanted to try them.

I was just photographing some greeny spider I discovered during a routine mosquito check before going to sleep when I heard this clicking/poping sound (similar to incandescent bulb dying) out of my TR-801 flashlight followed by darkness. "Damn.." - I thought - "That's third torch from DX that just died." thinking this sound must have came out of the driving circuit.

I took out the battery out not wanting to leave it inside a damaged flashlight, but doing a routine voltage check I found the battery shows only 0.3V and the flashlight worked fine with another cell so the battery was what's damaged.

The battery showed no singn of physical damage, but not knowing what could cause such sound in unprotected cell, I left it on the concrete over night.

Today I tried few chargers - nothing, as expected. Voltage only raised to 0.5V dropping back to 0.3 fast.

Did some measurements:
Only 100 uA flows to battery on charge futher decreasing.
Only 10uA flows out of battery when shorted.
Does not even reach 0,5V now, 0,4V max.

So this doesn't sound like some secret PCB acting weird, more like someting really bad happened inside the cell.

Peeled the wrapper off, but haven't discovered any PCB or anything unusal.

Some more info:
Battery was never charged, 3,9V on arrival and this was the first use. Checked the voltage prior this happened - 3.8V.
Drain - moderate - estimated 0.75 A.

So that's it. I'm glad I haven't left fedback yet.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I bought some GTL 18650 few weeks ago after reading they are 1400mAh which confirmed they are not *TOTAL* crap and could be useful.
For 2,4 USD a pair I wanted to try them.

Nothing wrong with that. For low drain devices it might be serviceable.

I was just photographing some greeny spider I discovered during a routine mosquito check before going to sleep when I heard this clicking/poping sound (similar to incandescent bulb dying) out of my TR-801 flashlight followed by darkness. "Damn.." - I thought - "That's third torch from DX that just died." thinking this sound must have came out of the driving circuit.
Strange. I have never had a cell click or pop before.

I took out the battery out not wanting to leave it inside a damaged flashlight, but doing a routine voltage check I found the battery shows only 0.3V and the flashlight worked fine with another cell so the battery was what's damaged.
Thats way too low for a healthy (or even a tired/old) cell. The cell is now beyond repair/recovery and should be recycled. There is a high risk of an internal/chmeical short.

The battery showed no singn of physical damage, but not knowing what could cause such sound in unprotected cell, I left it on the concrete over night.

Today I tried few chargers - nothing, as expected. Voltage only raised to 0.5V dropping back to 0.3 fast.

Doesn't sound like your charger is attempting to charge at all.

Did some measurements:
Only 100 uA flows to battery on charge futher decreasing.
Only 10uA flows out of battery when shorted.
Does not even reach 0,5V now, 0,4V max.

If you are measuring Micro amp charge currents then theres something wrong... thats way too low for a healthy charge current.

So this doesn't sound like some secret PCB acting weird, more like someting really bad happened inside the cell.
Most likely that is the case.

Peeled the wrapper off, but haven't discovered any PCB or anything unusal.

If its a protected cell, you will see the round PCBA on the -B terminal. No PCBA = unprotected cell.

Some more info:
Battery was never charged, 3,9V on arrival and this was the first use. Checked the voltage prior this happened - 3.8V.
Drain - moderate - estimated 0.75 A.

Since your dissection did not reveal a protection circuit, it by default is an unprotected cell. I am guessing the cell was over-discharged, and went into cell reversal. Theres also the possibility your cell has an internal short. Your charger (assuming it has the capacity to do so) detected a reverse polarity or short, and is not attempting to apply a charge current.

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem with resting voltage is just that , its a resting voltage .
Once you put a load on it it may seriously sag and after a few minutes show what may be the true state of the battery ..

I would strongly urge anyone receiving new batteries to throw them in the charger before doing anything with them .

You just dont know how long they have been in storage and whether the voltage remaining is going to give you a false idea of the state of the battery .

Battery Guy

Enlightened
...when I heard this clicking/poping sound (similar to incandescent bulb dying)

It sounds like your vent/CID (current interrupt device) activated. In most 18650 cells, if the internal pressure gets too high, an internal vent/CID device is activated which simultaneously vents the pressure and opens the circuit. This is a permanent activation, and you will not be able to charge or discharge the cell thereafter.

If you sniff near the positive terminal of the cell, you will probably pick up the aroma if the electrolyte, which has sort of a sweet/solvent smell.

Cheers,
Battery Guy