Guidance on creating "dog headlight" - thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltstop

Banned
Hey, people.

I'm a flashlight no0B, but not a forum/newsgroup no0B, so I did quite a bit of searching before wasting your time and posting.

I'm trying to make a headlight for my greyhound. He's a pretty special old feller, who probably could use some additional light during nighttime activities this summer. I had a Nite Ize Spotlit on him for a few years but got tired of replacing the short-lasting, expensive and hard-to-find CR 2016 batteries. I have this week off and would like to manufacture something for him that runs off of two AAA alkalines. I want to fit the unit with a hanging reflector that will broadcast light in front of his face, maybe at a downward angle of 30 degrees.

IMG_0114.JPG

I envision putting the AAA batteries on his collar with a switch. Here's a pic of the envisioned flashlight.

exported_fl(1).png

Where would I buy parts for something like this? Should I instead modify a headlight?

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bolt,

I've been tinkering w/ a similar idea for some time for my Springer Spaniel. I've tried a cheap 3 AAA light that quickly died due to all the slapping around. I also tried a simple 18650 powered light but it didn't work either. I've decided on modifying a headlamp. Biggest drawback is making it durable for the pounding it takes, then keeping it from getting tangled up in the collar.

BTW, that a very handsome greyhound. What's his name?

Walterk

Enlightened
Fun! Never realized this could be useful, but hey I dont walk older dogs.

They are used to their collar, so I would make something that can be snapped on and off from that.
In that way you have a steady base, to make the light point in a direction that is of use.
Kind of wide angle would be most usable probably, as they tend to move quite a lot I guess, so reflector not aspheric probably?
Just an intermediate mount for a headlamp such as Petzl?

Kubbu

Newly Enlightened
Nice Idea

But how wil you fix the light on the gogs head? With something like a elastic band?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about an LED with no secondary optics? Just a flood beam in front of the dog? While you're at it, put some red 5mm's on the back of his collar so he can be seen from behind too =)

doktorziplok

Newly Enlightened
how about taking an existing headlamp and mounting it to the chest strap of a harness? dog collars are free to spin around the neck, but the chest strap stays put. and you have the advantage of a spare headlamp.

Walterk

Enlightened
Ehm, is it a necessity to have it on top of the head? Is his neck and some suspension from there to a liittle more forward not enough?
Fighting gravity needs a harness, they wont like that.
You could place the weight/batterys as counterweight on his chest, but would make it more vulnerable for catching branches of wood...

warmurf

Enlightened
I can't believe this thread, how cool......
doktorziplok's suggestions sounds the most stable concept to me. The chest area would be the area of least movement you'd think, and allows you to keep the light at a constant level. Making something that you can easily slip in and out is another thing. You'd definatley want something floody so it lights the ground all around the dog so it keeps it's bearings. Something like a lantern style light?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Around the chest eh? Well the clips on the Fenix headband might work good for you then, works on lights up to 22mm from what I've read. Two Quarks would give you great floody light

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For lantern style the solarforce has the lantern heads ;) two of those and some xpg or xm-l should see the dog for a few miles :) and the dog should see the surrounding 15 feet better (not sure on your dogs eyes)

UberLumens

Newly Enlightened
I think a simple stock AA Zebra light would work, or at least point you in the right direction.

I often wear mine around my neck instead of as a headband and it works quite well.

You can angle the light in the holder up or down and adjust the strap as needed.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
He's a pretty special old feller

Which is why I'd say to leave the lights off the 'ol boy. I wouldn't want some stupid light bouncing around in front of my eyes if I were a dog.

He'll continue to find his way around in the dark just fine... better than we can with a flashlight!

doktorziplok

Newly Enlightened
here's a quick proof of concept i made using a petzl head lamp and a pack-style harness.

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
Boltstop,

Humans are diurnal, our eyes, are designed to work best under conditions of bright lighting. We are capable of seeing a little in the dark, but this is a weak point in our design.

Canines are Crepuscular. They are designed to see and be active during times when there is only modest lighting. Bright sunlight, which makes things clear to us, probably makes things a touch fuzzy and blurry for dogs. It is more light than they are really designed for. This is a probable side effect from their Tapetum Lucidum, which is a sort of built in light amplifier that all dogs (but no people) have.

Unless you have some clear evidence otherwise, you can safely assume that the dog can see perfectly well in what to you looks like murky darkness.

Dogs also do better than we do in situations where there is no vision at all. This is because we are heavily biased towards vision, while they have a somewhat more sensible approach where vision is less precise, but the other senses are better developed.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's true, but older dogs sometimes need a little help, and I'm a flashaholic, I put lights on everything ;)

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but make no mistake... this is NOT a great thread, and it is NOT a resource of useful ideas for hanging lights off dogs, older, or younger.

It is a completely stupid premise, and possibly designed for trolling.

I've noticed a decided uptick in such retarded postings recently, across CPF. Readers beware.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I respect your opinion regarding Dogs with lights. I hold mine or use stationary lighting.
I consider the information that dogs are Crepuscular interesting and useful.
It gives me better insight on my personal use of LED lighting around dogs.
I believe it is creatve for others to post valuable facts in offering advice to others.

And I also agree this may have been originated as trolling.
Edit: Actually you are right, OP 2posts, 15 days no replys :shakehead

Still, What a great thread.

Sorry, but make no mistake... this is NOT a great thread, and it is NOT a resource of useful ideas for hanging lights off dogs, older, or younger.

It is a completely stupid premise, and possibly designed for trolling.

I've noticed a decided uptick in such retarded postings recently, across CPF. Readers beware.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.