H4 LED Upgrade - Are there any good ones?

thejrod

Newly Enlightened
Philips makes a H4 LED replacement that's getting good reviews. Designed to have the same cut-off as halogen in reflectors designed for halogens.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Philips makes a H4 LED replacement that's getting good reviews. Designed to have the same cut-off as halogen in reflectors designed for halogens.
They do make such a bulb, and it's described in a post in this very thread. The relevant portion of that post is here:
The very, very best this kind of "LED bulb" product gets is an H4 from Philips, not sold in regulated markets because it doesn't meet any regulations, that works passably (not well, just passably) in some H4 headlamps. It is longer than an actual H4 bulb, and I have yet to see a 5 3/4" round lamp it physically fits in, let alone working in. Of those lamps it fits in, the percentage it works at all passably in is low, maybe 40%. Also it requires extra space and free-moving air behind it; an enclosed motorcycle headlamp shell will overheat it and burn it out.

That it is getting "very good reviews" doesn't mean a whole lot-- having a credit card and ordering a product and liking it doesn't make one an expert on the product. These aren't loudspeakers or amplifiers, nor are they flashlights or stadium lights. Headlamps have specific photometric requirements that can be reliably met so long as the headlamp is in good condition and is using the specific light source for which they were designed. These LED H4s are not that specific light source, rather it's an approximation that just is not quite good enough, hence their sale only in unregulated markets.

And "cut-off" as a metric for lamp performance is pretty much meaningless on its own. I would guess that the HID kit makers/sellers and their ilk love "cut-off" as a metric because that's the only thing they can easily demonstrate in their garage door beamshot pictures.

Last edited:

thejrod

Newly Enlightened
Moderator Edit
This is your second warning about Rule 3: Whining about the rules.
This forum is ALREADY an EXCELLENT resource for vehicle lighting modifications; we shut down the conversation whenever someone comes in and tries do undo a thread full of solid information with a few glib words about how we "walk a hard line" and then posts links to a site whose sole purpose is to SELL items, not to inform people.

Do not do this again.

--Alaric D

Last edited by a moderator:

Andres

Newly Enlightened
I don't know...how do you define a "good" experiment? There is some value in confirming for yourself what you've been told by experts, I guess, but is that worth $100?

While I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide comprehensive responses, from my perspective, the members on this forums are no more/less experts than the other forums I have read - of which many said the replacement LED product was great! So I had to try for myself!!

"For what it is", meaning what? It's a properly-engineered, properly-manufactured, fully legal and safe, durable LED headlamp. Which part of that merits a "for what it is" denigration?

They're still essentially a bunch of LED emitters stuck behind some perspex lenses with some basic solid state electronics. Allegedly a very well made, but glorified, bicycle headlight.
I believe it seems overpriced - but that's subjective. Final pricing come down to the actual product, as well as the costs of R&D, standard licensing/testing, sales volume, marketing forces etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the price of these reduces in order of magnitude in the next few years. Sadly I can't go to the future when my bike hits 88mph :laughing:

Um, no. Which part of posts #9 and #10 in this thread are unclear to you?

Again - maybe Eagle Lights or the HD Daymakers can make a comparable product for a lesser price. Much in the same way a Nissan GTR can lap the Nurburgring in a similar time to a 911 Turbo.

Sometimes a great dessert after crow! ;)

No refunds? Ouch. Or was that just on the shipping and you at least got your money back on product?

We *tried* to save you the grief!

Well at least I have the humility to admit it :crackup:

Yeah, I hate paying the right amount for something that will work well. You get what you pay for!

To a point... I was HOPING there would be some recommendation that weren't (and I paraphrase) "buy the most expensive product on the market - everything else is junk".

As far as *similar*, then Truck-Lite might be worth looking at.

Will check them out. :twothumbs

And when you see NOT JW Speaker lamps that *LOOK* like JW Speaker lamps, those may well be counterfeits. When you buy a counterfeit, you're paying for a stolen name and not getting the engineering behind the genuine item. You don't get what you don't pay for!

Yeah - will avoid imitations - well, try to!

Gents - I don't want to come across as unappreciative - but the price for this product is beyond what I believe is reasonable (especially to purchase in Australia). Yes I can afford it - but no I don't think it's worth it. Yes I could afford the BMW NineT, but I didn't think the price vs performance stacked up. Diminishing returns and all that.

I'll keep looking around and maybe see what other items are around and report back for the interest of the forum.

Do US approved lamps have an asymmetric (around a vertical axis) beam? As we drive on the LHS in Aus, the beams need to drop away to the right. Do US headlamps to the same (but in reverse?).

Out of curiosity - who here has personally used any of these recommended products?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide comprehensive responses, from my perspective, the members on this forums are no more/less experts than the other forums I have read - of which many said the replacement LED product was great! So I had to try for myself!!
Part of the Dunning-Kruger Effect is not only having a misapprehension of one's own expertise on a subject, but also being unable to judge the expertise of others on the same subject, and the inability to differentiate between experts and frauds.

They're still essentially a bunch of LED emitters stuck behind some perspex lenses with some basic solid state electronics. Allegedly a very well made, but glorified, bicycle headlight.

A standard automotive headlamp is essentially one or two filaments stuck behind a lens with a basic circuit. A glorified bicycle headlamp! The truth is, neither simplicity nor complexity are at issue, the issue is actual photometric performance.

I believe it seems overpriced - but that's subjective. Final pricing come down to the actual product, as well as the costs of R&D, standard licensing/testing, sales volume, marketing forces etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the price of these reduces in order of magnitude in the next few years. Sadly I can't go to the future when my bike hits 88mph :laughing:
It's priced quite fairly for what it is, and yes, prices will eventually go down. In the meantime, however, you'll stop going into the future depending on what your bike hits AT 88mph because you were overdriving your headlamp. Or maybe it was at 40mph, or turning a corner and being unable to see properly.

Again - maybe Eagle Lights or the HD Daymakers can make a comparable product for a lesser price.
Picture your very favorite band (unless it's Nickelback, because then this won't work). Picture your very favorite band, and tickets to see are $175.00. Nickelback comes in to town and promises to do a note-for-note performance of [your favorite band] because they've listened to that band's setlist and found some sheet music and they're going to put on this concert for $17.50. Are you getting a good value for your money?

Eagle Lights is ripping off JW Speaker's designs. If it were a watch, the face may look like a Casio G-Shock or Timex Ironman, but the watch is actually built like the premium you get after sending in 5 box tops and $1.25 shipping and handling to the cereal company.

Much in the same way a Nissan GTR can lap the Nurburgring in a similar time to a 911 Turbo.
That's a very poor analogy. Both the Nissan AND the Porsche are made to strict quality standards and adhere to certain emissions and safety regulations (including compliant headlamps!). A more apt analogy would be someone throwing a Buick 455 big block into a go-cart frame and lapping either car, and then saying it's just a good a performer and is as safe as either car.

Well at least I have the humility to admit it :crackup:
But do you have the sense to also learn from it? Here you go trying to say the cadre are wrong about the subject, and are looking for the next ripoff product to "test".

I was HOPING there would be some recommendation that weren't (and I paraphrase) "buy the most expensive product on the market - everything else is junk".
There are some less-expensive products that aren't junk. The products that ARE less expensive and ARE junk are those that try to look like JW Speaker's products but do not perform like them. A genuine Bushnell binocular outperforms a fake Swarovski binocular because ripoff products are concerned ONLY with appearance.

Gents - I don't want to come across as unappreciative - but the price for this product is beyond what I believe is reasonable (especially to purchase in Australia). Yes I can afford it - but no I don't think it's worth it. Yes I could afford the BMW NineT, but I didn't think the price vs performance stacked up. Diminishing returns and all that.
Spending MORE money on the GENUINE article is *always* a better deal than a bargain on a fake. Always.

Do US approved lamps have an asymmetric (around a vertical axis) beam? As we drive on the LHS in Aus, the beams need to drop away to the right. Do US headlamps to the same (but in reverse?).
The US does not work on a type-approval basis, but, yes, the beams here are asymmetrical so that oncoming traffic is not blinded.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
They're still essentially a bunch of LED emitters stuck behind some perspex lenses with some basic solid state electronics.

In the same way as all cars are essentially a metal box with four wheels and a motor. And eyeglasses are all just a few bits of wire or plastic and two clear plastic plates. You are grossly oversimplifying. Headlamps, especially LED headlamps, are a great deal more complicated (and costly to make) than you seem to want to believe.

Allegedly a very well made, but glorified, bicycle headlight.

LOL! Which bicycle headlamp are we talking about...maybe Busch & Mueller Luxos, maybe?

I believe it seems overpriced

It actually sounds like what you really mean is that you can't (or don't want to) spend that amount of money. That's fine, but it doesn't mean the headlamp is overpriced.

maybe Eagle Lights or the HD Daymakers can make a comparable product for a lesser price

HD Daymaker = HD branded JW Speaker headlamp. Eagle = cheap and nasty headlite-shaped toy. No, it is not comparable.

Much in the same way a Nissan GTR can lap the Nurburgring in a similar time to a 911 Turbo.

No, what you're putting forward is much closer to the idea that a Jiangnan TT can lap the Nurburgring in a similar time to a Porsche 911 Turbo or a Nissan GTR.

I was HOPING there would be some recommendation that weren't (and I paraphrase) "buy the most expensive product on the market - everything else is junk".

Your paraphrasing is faulty. That's not what you were told at all. What you were told was that legitimate LED headlamps are expensive, and the cheap ones are knockoff pretenders that aren't legitimate headlamps.

I don't want to come across as unappreciative

It's not that you're coming off as unappreciative, it's that you're coming off as arguing against realities that aren't going to stop being realities just because you want them to.

the price for this product is beyond what I believe is reasonable

You're entitled to your opinions, of course, but this one is not based in fact, it's arbitrary.

Yes I can afford it - but no I don't think it's worth it

Then your option is to not buy it. But own that it's coming from your end: you don't want to spend the money. It's not that they're overpriced, unreasonably priced, etc, it's that you don't want to spend the money.

Do US approved lamps have an asymmetric (around a vertical axis) beam?

Yes, though a cutoff is not necessarily present and US lamps are not "approved" (our regulations work on a certification system, not an approval system)

Out of curiosity - who here has personally used any of these recommended products?

I have, but out of curiosity - what is the point of this question?

Last edited:

irsa76

Newly Enlightened
If you're finding the price of the JW speaker lights abit hard to stomach, understandably, have you thought about a replacement halogen fixture using a proper, replaceable, H4 globe? Iirc Hella still produce a 5 3/4" halogen headlight that is ADR approved, as does Narva, who also markets the truck-lite brand of LED headlights.
Retrofitting LED or HID into a halogen housing, or using cheap/off brand/knockoff LED or HID lights is pointless, illegal and even dangerous.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're finding the price of the JW speaker lights abit hard to stomach, understandably, have you thought about a replacement halogen fixture using a proper, replaceable, H4 globe? Iirc Hella still produce a 5 3/4" halogen headlight that is ADR approved, as does Narva, who also markets the truck-lite brand of LED headlights.
Some of them are better than normal sealed beams, but if you're going to spend time and money upgrading, just *upgrade* for real!

Retrofitting LED or HID into a halogen housing, or using cheap/off brand/knockoff LED or HID lights is pointless, illegal and even dangerous.
And you try to tell the kids of today that and they won't believe you.

mntbighker

Newly Enlightened
For the record:

[Rule 11 violation removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator: