• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Haiku XP-G

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your welcome! :thumbsup:

Nah, I'm not one for wasting time... especially if it's a good cause :D :twothumbs

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way to go Jared! I'm right there with you - as fast as I went, you were first and two more went in while I was sending my email to Don!

Don, looks like you've got another winner on your hands!

:thumbsup:

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
sun.gif

suntan.gif
Aloha!

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
I've run my Haiku XR-E on high until the battery shut off, with no ill effects. I'm not supposed to do that? News to me. I thought the Haiku had good heat dissipation?

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
2AA clickie huh!? I thought I would never see the day! Definitely a good alternative!

Dude, you need to get out while the waves are still nice and the trades are relatively calm. Never know when it will get this nice again!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Hey Don, I posted your pics on the USN, started a thread over there. Judt thought I would let you know, and yes, I gave you credit for the pics. :D

Alot of those guys over there love your work, but dont keep up. :thumbsup:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think there is a problem running the Haiku at full speed. I never heard of that.

Have a look at the sticky of the Haiku, first posting from Don :

I do not think the Haiku should be used for long durations on high and especially if it is not held in the hand for thermal relief...

further on :

It appears that the light can handle constant on in high but that is not the intention of its design or expected usage.

So, Don warned us about it without saying we mustn't deplete a whole cell on high. Probably it gets close to the critical area (unattended), so that perhaps at 35 degrees (Celsius) it could go above, at 20 degrees it's safe.

The fact, that nobody reported a :poof: yet means probably that we shouldn't worry... :twothumbs

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The first remark is a :caution: against high level unattended on a desk for longer periods of time I think.

Like you all said ... no problems reported, and I don't think there will be, the drive current is still reasonable.

This is of course IMHO and I hope DOn will correct me should I err. :)

bernie

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don's design are almost always on the conservative side with regards to current to the LED, thermal considerations, and his warnings to users.

Unless you are running an unattended runtime test on high during the middle of summer, outside, and in the dessert I wouldn't worry too much with the XR-E. BUT, as Bernie mentioned, Don is the last say in this matter.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Unless you are running an unattended runtime test on high during the middle of summer, outside, and in the dessert I wouldn't worry too much with the XR-E. BUT, as Bernie mentioned, Don is the last say in this matter.

Well, crap. I was planning exactly that for this coming summer with my Haiku family... :nana:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Since there is no waranty, stated or implied, you guys can do what ever you want with these lights! :nana:

Seriously though, I don't believe you can harm the LED or circuitry in normal use which could include full battery depletion on high. But the ambient conditions can vary and to state with no qualifications that these or any other lights for that matter, can't be harmed is giving some of us way more credit than we deserve! :D

The light was designed to provide service and utility with all three levels of output and if one only uses high then the light is not being used as intended. It should be just fine but still not being used, as intended. I don't know if that makes any sense?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha!

The light at the end of the tunnel!

The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

That is all I'm thinking about, what is to come!

:D