Hard had lights? Does anyone make one? (not a miners light though)

DIΩDΣ

Enlightened
Yeah for a job that follows OSHA rules then yeah you cant do anything to alter the hard hat. I wear my hard hat for personal (no one else even wears any PPE) use so I'm not to concerned abotu OSHA rules, but have no intention of altering it anyhow.

Those light holders should work great, I'd ask where you found them but my hardhat doesnt have those slots anyhow.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
70 lumen Princeton Tec EOS Industrial. Use the stick on velcro and mount to front of hard hat. Also comes with cloth strap for regular (non job) use and a longer rubber strap for hard hats (this strap might not work with that hard hat in the pic but will work with a regular round hard hat).

Raze

Enlightened
Pelican lights were designed for this POU. Go to their website to find the Pelican StealthLite 2410 Recoil LED with Photoluminescence shroud. Yeah, the name and model is all that.

I bought this light for my grandmother, so she could actuate its large lever switch easily. Since the head of the light Glows in the Dark, she could find it easily on her bedside table. It's made of Xenoy - a tough polymer. Runs on four AAs, and I swapped the included Energizer Max alkalines with Energizer L91 lithiums, to which she commented that now the light will outlive her.

Pelican made light holders that slots into the tab as well, as well as universal clamps for firemen hats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please pardon typos.

maverick06

Newly Enlightened
I found this thread a bit late. lots of good options here. I just ordered a surefire HL1 and figured i should be able to get it to connect it... one way or other. Work paid for it, so thats good... will post pics with how it works....

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
The company I work for must comply with OSHA standards so no alterations and no stickers as it can degrade the integrity of the hardhat and stickers can introduce electrical hazards.

The only headlamps orderable through our system are the Streamlight Septor and the Pelican Versa brite. They both include a standard elastic headband and a elastic rubber headband for hard hats.

The Streamlight Septor is a 3AAA multi-5mm headlamp with decent output and 3 levels. I believe it is unregulated and slowly dims as the battery dies. There are newer variations of this light with single LED emitters but I'm assuming the company is sticking with these due to cost.

One thing Ive noticed with the available lights is that there is no metallic surfaces exposed. No rivets, screws, or pins. I'm not sure if this is just the nature of a "cheap" light or chosen for its design. I use to use a Zebralight H501 which was PERFECT for up close electrical work at panels and attics but I did worry about it conducting electricity while I was crawling or squeezing through tight spaces.

As an electrician I would probably keep this in mind.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if I was crawling in enclosed spaces where I was concerned about a Zebralight on my helmet (or my head) contacting live power, my safety concerns would be pretty much as great even swapping to a plastic headlight.

If some loose live cable could contact my headtorch, what about my metal glasses...

Possibly in some situations, a worry could be dropping the metal headtorch into some cabinet full of live connections, but hopefully that's not the kind of thing I'd come upon unawares in a confined space.

Last edited:

arc0

Newly Enlightened
Found this
uke-uni-clip_nylon_250.jpg

Exactly what I was looking for.

It was certainly worth reading this thread as this is also exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks Jeff!

snoboy

Newly Enlightened
Totally different tack - how about getting a hardhat that is designed to work with a headlamp? Look for a Petzl Vertex or Alveo (the "Best" model is E rated) and a Petzl Pika headlamp.

dougie

Enlightened
Bolster, Hard Hat usually refers to a safety helmet like used on construction sites or by rock climbers etc. I can't see where Jeff000 comes from but suspect it might be either the UK or Australia!