Have you chosen one brand's power-tools platform?

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I didn't doubt you for a second, but I was hoping to see a couple of pictures. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
I know, I'm just lazy with the pictures...

I do them with a DSLR, and turning the camera on, removing the bezel cover, flipping the screen, taking the pictures, turning the camera off, removing the memory card, inserting the card into the computer, editing / shrinking the pictures, removing the memory card and re-inserting it into the camera...all for a pair of images just doesn't feel worth the hassle.

Had been saving up some things to take a picture of this time, so it was worth it. ^^
Replaced the attached pictures with some of higher quality by the way. The 25% resized ones appeared a bit small on the screen, so added some in 50%.

So yeah, it's cordless Dewalt 18V for me, with corded Makita, Bosch Blue, Metabo...whoever has the best deal on whatever tool I am looking for.
For accessories, it's mostly Dewalt Extreme (larger drill bits / driver bits), or Bosch (smaller drill bits, sanding paper etc.). Though for sanding paper, I purchased a bunch of "Dewalt Extreme Abrasive Mesh" before the winter, that I am looking forward to try once I get going with projects again.

Am planning on making some custom, removable carry compartments for the back of my VW Caddy van. As I like overkill, I am planning on using 4mm PVC steel wire to connect them to the hook attachments inside the car. And I received the carabiners to hook the wire into today. Here next to an Emisar DW4. โค๏ธ

Attachments

• IMG_1501_50.jpg
    IMG_1501_50.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
There are adapters from any batt to any tool already on the market, have been for years, some are not bad some are crap. I had one, it worked fine with a vacuum, but not with grinder. if i tried few more, probably i'd find one that works with high load tools.
Yes, but Ceenr is trying to make their adapter capable with all power-tools across numerous brands. They're claiming it's going to be the best adapter ever made. We'll see. Fingers crossed.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I hear you, I'm the same way with my tools; and most of my lights. I have designated lights made for borrowers. If those never find their way back to me, I'm not going to care.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
That sounds pretty good. I bought a couple adapters for batteries to tools.

It scares me that different brands have the battery protection in different locations. Maybe they can advise people to not use certain batteries with certain tools where the combination gives unprotected batteries.

Poppy

Flashaholic
๐Ÿ˜ฌ Let it be known: I do not like anyone using my tools. No one takes care of them like I do. That's just the way I am. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
I guess I am a bit more casual about lending my tools. For the most part, I am happy to. My Dad used to say, if it is not being used, it is being wasted, and he would lend me his car whenever he didn't need it. Certainly any and all of his tools were at my disposal.

Now... I rarely lend my tools, the opportunity just doesn't present itself. When I do, they go with the admonishment, that a man returns them in the same or better condition. I haven't had a problem.

I don't like lending out my makita screw gun. I think that if a person doesn't have one of his own, he doesn't have any experience using one. I expect that the screw driver bit will be returned all rounded off, which is no problem because I buy them in packages of 50. But my concern is that the clutch mechanism may get worn down due to the fact they will not apply enough pressure for it to fully engage.

I'd be truly selective about who I would lend my chainsaw to. Because it is the most dangerous tool I own.

RCantor

Enlightened
For angle grinders, both Makita and Bosch use x-lock connections now. If you like that, they're great. If you hate that, avoid those two brands.
I like it now. Not so much at first. Had to get used to it to see the design advantages. Also, had to get a back stock of discs built up.
Both Bosch and Makita make some real solid angle grinders, though.

Would you explain the pros and cons of the X-Lock system? Thanks.

iacchus

Enlightened
Would you explain the pros and cons of the X-Lock system? Thanks.
It is a quick connect system. The connection is just as secure as the traditional system (in some ways more). It is also far faster to swap discs.
The big downside is your stock of old style discs won't work w/ x-lock (though the new xlock discs will work w/ the old system), and the x-lock discs can be more expensive or harder to find exactly what you need locally (though Lowes and HD have been better at stocking a variety than they were).
I have heard some complain that the X-lock system introduces another possible failure point, but I haven't seen this be an issue whatsoever.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Watched the video, just being honest, I don't feel comfortable with a system that just easily snaps into place like that. Very convenient! Absolutely! Just not for me.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
As a daily user of the X-Lock system, I will gladly sing its praises quite loudly for you. :cool:

It honestly and absolutely is as good as it sounds, if not better. Lightning fast, simple, foolproof, and the convenience astronomically improves general angle grinder safety, as it simply eliminates the temptation to misuse the disk you have already loaded. For example the classic - misusing a thin cutting disk to dress the edges of the workpiece you just cut. Instead you just pop the disk off, and pop on the grinding disk out of your pocket - it takes less time to do it than to decide if it's worthwhile misusing the cutting disk! (And much less time than it takes to type this out!)

I heard a development rumour about X-Lock from a local rep two years before it was announced, and I twisted his arm hard for a test model of the angle grinder. We didn't get a test model, but we did get the first one in the country though. We'd waited years for it and it was even better than I thought it would be.

I chose Bosch many years ago and have stuck with them - every tool manufacturer will hav its pros and cons, but if you just pick a decent one and stick with it, I think it pays back very nicely over time. I've certainly had a pretty good run with Bosch equipment, and we pound them pretty hard. Over 20 years out of a hammer drill being used daily is pretty good going though. I think we did one motor rewind, two chucks and a trigger assembly in that time. I'd hate to imagine how many holes we drilled! :p

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Any experiences with the Bosch Starlock system? Am considering a multi-tool, but I've heard several stories of people having issues with the Starlock.

My understanding is that the system works well while it's new and clean, but as grime and dirt builds up over time, the clamps no longer secures the blade properly.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As a daily user of the X-Lock system, I will gladly sing its praises quite loudly for you. :cool:

It honestly and absolutely is as good as it sounds, if not better. Lightning fast, simple, foolproof, and the convenience astronomically improves general angle grinder safety, as it simply eliminates the temptation to misuse the disk you have already loaded. For example the classic - misusing a thin cutting disk to dress the edges of the workpiece you just cut. Instead you just pop the disk off, and pop on the grinding disk out of your pocket - it takes less time to do it than to decide if it's worthwhile misusing the cutting disk! (And much less time than it takes to type this out!)

I heard a development rumour about X-Lock from a local rep two years before it was announced, and I twisted his arm hard for a test model of the angle grinder. We didn't get a test model, but we did get the first one in the country though. We'd waited years for it and it was even better than I thought it would be.

I chose Bosch many years ago and have stuck with them - every tool manufacturer will hav its pros and cons, but if you just pick a decent one and stick with it, I think it pays back very nicely over time. I've certainly had a pretty good run with Bosch equipment, and we pound them pretty hard. Over 20 years out of a hammer drill being used daily is pretty good going though. I think we did one motor rewind, two chucks and a trigger assembly in that time. I'd hate to imagine how many holes we drilled! :p
Honestly Fuzzy, with you and iacchus recommending the X-Lock system, I'm going to need to do more research into it as I definitely need a new angle grinder. And if it's as good as you guys say it is, I don't mind going outside of Ryobi and spending more up-front to get something just as safe as the old system, but a whole heck of a lot more convenient. Thanks guys!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the X-Lock not disengage until it stops moving? That would be the only issue I think I see with it.
I'm not sure how often people are changing their grinder attachments. It doesn't seem like it would be super useful.

Here is most of my stuff:
f5uIfzT.jpg

u8uZkvU.jpg

I replaced the incandescent lamp with a LED replacement.
OIFZCGY.jpg

Sorry for stuff overlapping stuff.

iacchus

Enlightened
I've got the Makita XMT04Z/DTM52 that uses a modified starlock (it uses a removable post rather than proper pins like the standard starlock stuff). I much prefer Starlock blades to OIS, especially Starlock Max. They have more contact points between the tool head and the blade so they transfer power better and don't wear out those little nibs.
You can't flip 'em over though, which makes some of the shouldered blades a touch less versatile. I haven't noticed an issue with grime buildup causing problems, but that might be because of the removable pin rather than the springclamp.

Blade changes are still very quick. I don't moan about the pin system as much as others. Way faster than what I used to use across my last four multi tools.
I will say that while the DTM52 has a head that is chunky enough to be a bother sometimes compared to other thinner OMT, the vibration dampening is a game changer. It's really magical. No more nights of phantom pain in my wrist and hand after using it all day. That's a trade off I'll make.

Same thing goes for Starlock as X-lock though regarding blade availability and cost. It's a trade off, but I wouldn't go back.
I did buy an OIS adapter to burn through my back stock of old blades. It worked fine, no issues.

Fuzzywuzzies

Newly Enlightened
Honestly Fuzzy, with you and iacchus recommending the X-Lock system, I'm going to need to do more research into it as I definitely need a new angle grinder. And if it's as good as you guys say it is, I don't mind going outside of Ryobi and spending more up-front to get something just as safe as the old system, but a whole heck of a lot more convenient. Thanks guys!
Nice! Glad to help convince you to buy good tools. :party:

Have a look at the GWX18v-50:

We use the Oceania version which has a different model code, but I assume there's precious little difference. It's a great tool.

Here's the slightly smaller brother, the GWX18v-10PSC (paddle switch - I like these better for safety and usability)

IMG_2177.jpeg

IMG_2175.jpeg
IMG_2176.jpeg

IMG_2174.jpeg

PaladinNO

Enlightened
"Have you chosen one brand's power-tools platform?"
Here is most of my stuff:
[No, I chose ALL of them]

Whatever works for you, my guy. Whatever works. (y)

EDIT:
Seriously though, I would argue for staying on a single system for optimal battery compatibility, with exceptions obviously for corded tools.
Damn shame the corporations doesn't make everything on a single system, when there's no reason not to do so other than money.

Last edited:

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Have you chosen one brand's power-tools platform?"

Whatever works for you, my guy. Whatever works. (y)
When I find a tool and battery for $20 (Metabo HPT, I got a charger off ebay for $30) or I find a tool and battery and charger for $20 (Bauer) or I find all of that Ryobi stuff for $40, it's tough to stay true to a brand. Maybe my most loyal brand is Dewalt, I use those tools the most often.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
When I find a tool and battery for $20 (Metabo HPT, I got a charger off ebay for $30) or I find a tool and battery and charger for $20 (Bauer) or I find all of that Ryobi stuff for $40, it's tough to stay true to a brand.
Okay, that is a fair point. I've bought all my own tools new, if at least usually on sale, with prices accordingly.
There is usually nothing wrong with buying used tools, if they've been maintained properly. And if they are cheap enough or if you don't care (speaking for all of us here), why not just buy cheap, and use the tools until they give out.

In the long run you have probably saved a lot of money overall, instead of buying new everything in a single system.

EDIT:
For clarification: by "buy cheap", I mean buy used quality tools. I think most of us has unfortunate experiences with buying "cheap" (low-cost) tools.

Last edited: