HDS EDC Cree XR-E mod discussion....

Edwood

Enlightened
CM said:
It was removed from the MCPCB. The issue is that the LE has a channel cut to accept only the Luxeon. This channel must be machined out so that the square profile of the Cree will fit in. Once that's done, then a suitable reflector (with the correct depth to make the clearance) must be found. The McR19 will not fit due to depth. You can back out the light engine a bit but then you need to mod the body also. But the real show stopper is the lack of a suitable reflector. I have the optics designed for the Cree and the beam is substandard--at least compared to the McR19. I think I may have to get a McR20. 4sevens is on to something...maybe.

What about Don's new McR-17XR ?

http://dmcleish.com/CPF/McRee-XR-E/
Scroll down to the bottom.

-Ed

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of benefits can we expect from a Cree led in terms of lumens and runtime (compared to a stock U60) ?

Would a K2 mod be possible ? Better than a Cree ?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
derfyled said:
What kind of benefits can we expect from a Cree led in terms of lumens and runtime (compared to a stock U60) ?

Would a K2 mod be possible ? Better than a Cree ?

If you get a V bin K2 and an N bin Cree XR-E, then it's better to use the K2.

HINT: V bin K2's are almost non-existent and P4 bin Crees are available.

DM51

Flashaholic
liteboy said:
let's keep this thread alive...

This is an extremely interesting thread for all of us HDS owners. The U85 (when it comes out) will presumably have an XR-E emitter, but the first run may be earmarked for the military so there could be a further delay.

Rather than wait for months and then have to think about saving up for a new light anyway, let's hope one of our number comes up with a way to mod our existing units, beat HDS/NovaTac to the draw with a version to rival their new product, and rescue our EDCs from the indignity of obsolescence!

paxxus

Enlightened
OK, I was bored. I have absolutely no experience with machining etc. so this is just a sketch drawn from memory. The idea with this kit is that you can install it yourself and that you don't have to modify the existing HDS body. So the mod should be reversible. One criterion was that the light must be fully waterproof after the mod, and you should also be able to really tighten the bezel/ring without stressing the LED or the window. The kit, as displayed, could consist of these components:

1 x Al/Cu Heatsink with machined groove for the LED.
1 x bezel extender (HAIII, Ti, stainless)
2 x O-ring
2 x O-ring support washers (top profile matches that on the original HDS reflector in order to ensure that the O-ring is pressed out against the body)
1 x Reflector

You would have to remove the old Lux and connect wires; the heatsink has grooves for the wires.

Wish I had a lathe
icon23.gif
- this could be a fun little project. Ah, well - maybe it wouldn't work.

HDS_cree_mod.gif

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1, nice ideas paxxus! Probably the Mcflector would need to be modified a little as well. It seems workable. I don't know if most folks would care for the extra length though, but perhaps it would balance out with a 2x CR123a tube.

aceo07

Enlightened
I would love to see an upgrade for the HDS EDC.

There's a review of the CR Ion X-RE upgraded in the reviews forum. Pretty impressive. Changed from 30lumens to 60lumens for 80minutes! All of this on a CR2 battery!

I hope the new HDS will have such impressive improvements. If the CR Ion can do all this on a CR2 battery, imagine the HDS with the CR123A battery! :)

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM said:
If you get a V bin K2 and an N bin Cree XR-E, then it's better to use the K2.

HINT: V bin K2's are almost non-existent and P4 bin Crees are available.

Thank's CM ! But anyone has an idea about lumens and runtime on a single 123 with a cree and/or a k2?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure if this is of any use or not... at this weekend's PF7 event (NJ PhotonFest 7) I'd be willing to try an XR-E emitter swap in somebody's HDS light. Note that I haven't opened the HDC lights as of yet, though I've read some about the procedure and have worked plenty with the Arc LS and First Run in the past (not really the same but at least a similar form factor and early design ancestor of the HDS). This would be an experimental procedure, so the light would be at risk of damage or even total destruction! There, now that I've scared everyone away, I'm not TRYING to do these things to the light, of course, but the nature of the mod does put the light at some risk, and I want folks to be aware of that.

Anyway, there it is! :D Any PF7 attendees who might be so inclined?

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
xochi said:
Basically this could be put together into a relatively simple modkit with just the centering jig filler piece, the Cree XR-E and reflector.

Why someone should get this modkit to market fast!!!
1. Simple straight forward mod - if a run of appropriate parts are made.
2. Huge base of ownership
3. The HDS lights were very expensive so there is a huge motivation to extend their life if a convenient upgrade path is available.
4. Nothing available from manufacturer for at least 3 months and perhaps signifigantly longer. HDS fans are hungry!
5. Huge performance increase!
To Quote Meg Ryan in "When Harry Met Sally"
Yes,Yes! Yes! YES! YES!!

I think the HDS is a great host for an XR-E upgrade kit. I'm in for one!
With a Cree optic is fine, I use an F04 on my HDS a lot anyway, so more flood is OK.
A cut down Mcr19 or 20 would be OK too, but a little added length (just a few millimeters) from a bezel extender would not hurt the stubby HDS too much.

You the MAN Milky! Of course an XR-E upgrade program for the ML1 should also be considered...

NICE heat sinking on that HDS. Thanks for the pics leukos.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Yes, please!!! I did a test on the weekend there the cree XR-e was soldered in seeries with the lux in the HDS LE. It worked, no sweat and appeared much brighter. I just cant see a way of getting it to be properly heatsinked nor the correct reflector or optic to use.

Edit: i am no attendee but if you need a HDS guniea pig :) let me know

Last edited:

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky could use my HDS for the experiment if he wants.
I also have a L1p he could try the xr-e in.

You have a PM Milky.