• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

HDS EDC Executive Pass Around

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect review. This pass around is about first impressions and opinions of the light besides being a chance to handle one without forking over the normal "pay to play" price tag. I'm glad you played with programming right away as well. It's good to hear it wasn't too complicated. One of the problems Henry and I encounter is that we are sooooo familiar with the light, we don't think much about the manual, and how it can/could be confusing for folks. It's one reason I started doing those videos... first the rum ones, then the sans rum ones.
Do take it outside and kick it up to max and give a guess as to output.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright since asked to make a guess, and I'm horrible at estimating outputs, I'm going to guess that this Executive is around 250 lumens. It's very bright with excellent throw.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Edit post.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alrighty, I'll be sending the HDS on to tech25 tomorrow. Thanks again Hogo for allowing me to try this light!

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both actually. It's a very nice and the size and in hand feel is perfect in my opinion. I'd want one with a warm emitter and an orange peel reflector for sure though. This is a grail type light for me at $250 but very happy I was able to play with it without buying. I also like what Hogo is doing with the mystery parts/output. Fun stuff.
So what's your overall feeling,Gurdy?
Sorry to see it go, or will you cope?
P

scout24

Flashaholic
Directly above your now deleted post, the person running the passaround asked that the review and passaround not be about the emitter. If you've nothing constructive to add, go post elsewhere. I'll be back to clean up the thread.

Edit- your posts and several others removed...

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am eagerly awaiting the light, my first HDS is going to be a rotary but since before I joined this forum, I have wanted to try the executive UI. I think that the main HDS thread is really a secret sales pitch from the evil Hogo and Henry. :D
Having all of us from the peanut gallery chime in and get to throw around ideas and have our questions answered is really cool. I especially enjoy the history and thought process of HDS/Henry that Hogo has been posting.

As I am supposed to be doing a few papers for school, I will stop rambling and go back to work... maybe...

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some thoughts on the HDS Executive.

The size is just about the same as my Okluma DC1 and weighs about 0.5oz more. I thought it would be a lot heavier based on the reviews. For work, I carry a Malkoff MD2 H/L ring with a surefire 6p tailcap (makes it shorter and gives me a proud button) and its almost double the weight but I am ok with that.

The knurling is perfect- grippy but won't shred my pants. The SS bezel looks sharp and the crenulations are perfect- I don't like the sharp crenulations. Inside, the spring design is new to me- I like it. It won't scratch the batteries and allows for solid contact. The flat button is ok- doesn't bother me like other recessed buttons- I think that is due to a shorter travel to click it. Tailstanding is rock solid.

The programming is pretty straightforward; I didn't have any issues there. Accessing the modes is intuitive after playing with it a bit. I kept the factory settings but played with the other features.

Beam profile is similar to my Malkoff M61n. Now to guess the output: Its brighter and whiter than my Malkoff M61L with an xpg ~ 175 lumens and not as bright as my M61N xpg2 ~300 lumens. Taking the cool tint of the HDS vs neutral tint of the Malkoff into consideration, I guess the HDS is probably closer to 225 lumens with a minimum of 200 lumens.

Getting back to the weight, I used a food scale and the HDS is 3.5oz. A Surefire e2e is 3.4oz, Okluma DC1 (aluminum) 2.9oz, and an incan AA minimag is 3.9oz. This is roughly what I carry/carried as my personal light over the years. My Malkoff work light comes in at 6.7oz.

I plan to get a rotary with raised tailcap and enable pseudo-memory. I would probably get the 18650 body for this- it should be about the same size as the MD2 with the 6P tailcap but thinner. As far as the LED tint, even though it's cool- compared to my carry lights that are 4000k- I still liked it. I would like to have an XPL-HI at 4500k- 5000k in it. That should give nice throw with a bigger hotspot and (for me) a perfect tint with higher CRI.

I really like this light, I could see pairing this up with the Okluma- for its floodier beam and HDS for general use.

Thank you Hogo for the passaround! I am going to play with it for another day or two and send it on.

Ps. PK-pr1 is 2.5 oz.
and all lights are with batteries.

Last edited:

Latest posts