• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

HDS EDC Rotary Pass Around

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, waited long enough. I will take the bait (probably best in the EDC or holster thread).

Didn't get a chance to work on it. Was in the shop 13 hours that day. I may get to it this coming week. Today was gut/skin/tan rattlers day.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would need true momentary for those times I have a pistol...

With version 2.18 software you can program the light for true momentary so there is no need for the Tactical. The Tactical is perfect if true momentary is what you need most of the time. Once the version 2.18 software came out I sold my Tactical and purchased the Rotary and two Executives. I did this because I wanted all 24 levels of light available and needed true momentary only infrequently to support my portable hole puncher.

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
I had missed that on my first breeze through of the full manual. Thanks, RCS! I'll play with programming today.

The full range of levels is nice. At first, I found no use for the lowest third, even at night. With truly night-adjusted eyes (a few hours after sunset on), though, even #1 is sufficient to ceiling bounce in the bathroom or bedroom to see what I'm doing. Still need 2 or 3 to navigate, but #1 is adequate for stationary tasks. The best part is that I did not realize how often I "settle" for a mode that is too dim or too bright with my 1, 2, and 6 level lights. After a day, I find myself naturally rolling up and down as needed. Our dog walk goes through dark areas where very little light goes a long way, under sodium lights where no light is needed, and areas with a bit of ambient light that might be enough to navigate, but where some light is needed (our lab has been on a relentless bullfrog hunt for the last few weeks....ha). One-handed adjustments are second nature already.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
At first, I found no use for the lowest third, even at night.

I programmed my lights to turn on at the lowest moonlight available. Reason is that I wake up in pitch black darkness and the lowest moonlight is very bright in that situation. With my Rotary, I programmed the on (Preset B) to lowest moonlight, two clicks (Preset C) to the Rotary dial that I keep at about 40 lumens, three clicks (Preset D)to 120 lumens, and preset A to maximum. That way, where ever the Rotary dial is set the light turns on to lowest moonlight.

With the programming you can get to maximum true and pseudo momentary in one of two ways. First is a fast click and then click and hold. Which gets you to maximum light output fast and in momentary. Second is to click the light six times and it is set to complete momentary temporarily. To get the light out of complete momentary you need to remove the battery and wait for 60 seconds and then put the battery back in.

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light should be back in my grubby little paws tomorrow...

I hope it was helpful for folks to have a chance to play with it. I may do another in the future if there is interest. This one will go back into the bug out bag (though the 2AA Clicky has been living there nicely for awhile, so we shall see).