Headlamp for Backpacking

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got a Zebralight Once I'm comfortable with that, I'll consider an higher-powered headlamp from Zebralight.

I just got one for work, though I did take it on an overnighter Tuesday-Wednesday, for its first, likely last, trip into the woods. Like I said, bulkier, and the higher levels are pretty useless for a backpacker. It might go again sometime, for the runtime on a long night hike, but those are pretty rare for me.
x1CjcTh.jpg

I should do an experiment, and see how many dozens of nights' use the spare lithium AA that's been in my first aid kit for the past 8yrs lasts.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never owned an 18650 format flashlight nor have I ever recharged a battery. I didn't want to jump into it until I had some experience with a flashlight. I just got a Zebralight SC600Fc and will play around with recharging batteries. Once I'm comfortable with that, I'll consider an higher-powered headlamp from Zebralight. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all your help.

Hey Wiiawiwb,
I go camping every month with our scout troop and use lights a whole lot. For general use I prefer a small floody (not full flood) Zebralight such as the H53Fw and a throwy flashlight such as the still available SC64w HI or even better but now discontinued SC600 Mk IV HI. For many of our trips we go backpacking Friday's after school which means we hike well into the evening. Some of these trips I bring an 18650 Zebra headlight for the added runtimes such as the H600Fw Mk IV and a throwy flashlight as mentioned above. If I don't need that extra runtime, I prefer the smaller more comfortable & better looking AA Zebra headlight.

Regarding using rechargeable cells such as AA eneloops or Li-ion 18650's, I HIGHLY recommend you invest a bit of money here. You will from then on have "free-ish" power for years & years, and you will not have to wonder if your primary cells are full enough to "take on that next trip." I have had both of these types of cells last upwards of 12 years before the cells die/won't take a charge (be sure to write the date purchased with a sharpie on each of your cells so you can track this. I like using my newer cells on trips, so I'm certain the cell is in excellent condition) Everything in my house that runs on AA or AAA bats are powered by eneloops. Whenever I go on a trip, I pop my recargeables in the charger for a little while to top everything off, and I'm fully charged. I bet you will come to appreciate this a whole lot, and you will be more inclined to actually use your lights more since you won't be concerned over using up a battery. Finally, if you are using alkaline cells in any of your lights or other items, then you are asking for trouble. Alkaline bats are well known for leaking and destroying anything they leak on/in. I'd hate to see you lose an expensive light or other electronics over a leaky alkaline.

Good luck!

MikeWill07

Newly Enlightened
Decided to stay with the AA format for now. Just ordered the Zebralight H53Fc.

Thanks again everyone. You're the best!
Can you tell me about the fit on your head? Does it leave fingerprints on my head or is it a comfortable fit?

SYZYGY

Enlightened
I'm looking for a new headlamp for use when backpacking. It will be used on trails in densely-forested areas and also back at camp. I always carry an HDS and Tiablo A9 in my chest pack so throw is covered.

I'm thinking Zebralight but would be open to any other reliable headlamp. Question:

1) Is the AA format more practical in the event I'm in a grab-and-go in a remote area?

2) Is high CRI preferred?

3) Is the ZL flood a better choice than the floody?

Any advice is appreciated.

here's the short advice i wish i could have read all in one place when i was trying to select a ZL headlamp:

battery life is very important to me. i can go a long *** time with one or two spare 18650s in my pack. most of my advice directly relates to battery life.

regardless of which light you get, it's important to play around with all 12 brightness levels and try to pick ones that work well for you (in the G6/G7 programmable modes). not using modes that are brighter than you actually need makes a huge difference.

1) definitely go 18650 unless you absolutely cannot bring/use extra batteries (they don't take up much space) and/or a charger. the 18650 lights are already plenty small.
AA sucks, but if you only want to power your light on stuff you can buy in a convenience store or whatever, then i guess you gotta do what you gotta do.
NiMH batteries also suck, even eneloops.
i'd probably only use AA if i were homeless and couldn't plug in a charger somewhere. then again, if i were homeless, i probably wouldn't give a crap about which ZL to buy. i'd have bigger problems.

2) assuming you like the tint / color temp, then of course get as high CRI as you can.

3) neither. in ZL speak, get spot and spill (not frosted). you get more throw, and you're not wasting precious battery life illuminating things you're not looking directly at. the headlamp automatically points at what's in the center of your vision. that's the point of a headlamp. nifty, right?
also, the low modes aren't useless.

if you get unfrosted/spot-spill, you can always add a diffuser (look up d-c-fix film) to turn it into a floody on-the-go. i've never done it personally, but i've heard good things.
conversely, you can't make a floody into a spot-spill.

imo, the three ZLs to look at are:

h600w: my preferred lamp. decent tint. i like it because it has the tightest beam, but honestly it's still plenty floody. the CRI's high enough for me.

and then you have the high-CRI options.
these are slightly floodier than h600w. i'm not sure if the reflector is any different, but the emitter is bigger (5mm vs 3.5mm), so that makes for a wider beam with all other things equal. these are also the 2nd gen XHP emitters (indicated by the "2" part of XHP50.2). they're a little more efficient compared to gen 1 (which h600w has), but they also have a greenish color cast at the edge of the beam perhaps due to the new extra yellow phosphor style. that issue can be mitigated by a frosted optic which would blend the beam, but i'm not into that as i explained above. honestly, it's fine in use.
h600c: 4000K
h600d: 5000K

Last edited:

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
here's the short advice i wish i could have read all in one place when i was trying to select a ZL headlamp:

battery life is very important to me. i can go a long *** time with one or two spare 18650s in my pack. most of my advice directly relates to battery life.

1) definitely go 18650 unless you absolutely cannot bring/use extra batteries (they don't take up much space) and/or a charger. the 18650 lights are already plenty small.

2) assuming you like the tint / color temp, then of course get as high CRI as you can.
I think the OP made his decision but I agree with you 100%. I've done a lot of camping and find the 18650 headlamps are my go-to now and preferred over the AA lights. I usually give my AA lights to friends to use for campsite activities or going for a walk away from the campsite to, uhh, do their business. I also go for high CRI so everything is not washed out by a wall off light.

in ZL speak, get spot and spill (not frosted). you get more throw, and you're not wasting precious battery life illuminating things you're not looking directly at. the headlamp automatically points at what's in the center of your vision. that's the point of a headlamp. nifty, right?
also, the low modes aren't useless.

h600w: my preferred lamp. decent tint. i like it because it has the tightest beam, but honestly it's still plenty floody. the CRI's high enough for me.

and then you have the high-CRI options.
these are slightly floodier than h600w. i'm not sure if the reflector is any different, but the emitter is bigger (5mm vs 3.5mm), so that makes for a wider beam with all other things equal. these are also the 2nd gen XHP emitters (indicated by the "2" part of XHP50.2). they're a little more efficient compared to gen 1 (which h600w has), but they also have a greenish color cast at the edge of the beam perhaps due to the new extra yellow phosphor style. that issue can be mitigated by a frosted optic which would blend the beam, but i'm not into that as i explained above. honestly, it's fine in use.
h600c: 4000K
h600d: 5000K
I have both a newer ZL H600c MKII and an older ZL H600w II and love the tint on both. However, I prefer the 12 degree spot on the older H600w II especially when I do the occasional night hike. I went for a night hike in Yosemite a few years ago and my ZL was perfect... although I wound up letting someone in my group use it as she had some knee issues and I wanted her to have both hands available in case she took a spill. As you said, it provided a good hotspot down the path while also providing plenty of spill. And zero worries about runtime... but I still brought a spare 18650 just in case.

Oiylight

Newly Enlightened
Sometimes the trail gets difficult to navigate at night. One time encountered so many downed trees that we had to find a way through off trail. It is nice to have the much brighter 18650 headlamp for navigational purposes in adverse conditions & to search for trail markers. It is possible to need to hike significant distance after dark during emergency or time critical situations on trail.

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
Agreed! I once did a multi-day portage trip and, while we managed to get to our camp sites during the day, a couple of times, we needed some lights to help guide our way as dusk came before we made it to our site. When you're carrying a canoe or plenty of gear, it helps to have a decent amount off light to make sure you don't trip. 18650 headlamp definitely helps with that.