Headlamp for close-up, wide angle use

325addict

Enlightened
My boss - knowing I'm into flashlights - asked me what headlamp to buy for his purpose of looking behind 19" audio racks... he simply expected me to know ALL about headlamps, but unfortunately I don't! All he wants is the following:

- a normal amount of light, no extreme brightness needed
- powered from simple AA batteries, NO 18650s or whatever (in his opinion...) "fancy" power source
- must have a wide angle of light. No piercing point source that will light a thousand meters away...

All I know is Petzl, which (once??) was famous for its headlamps... what do you guys propose?

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Zebralight H503(w, c) series, which are very wide angle, and pure flood. Their use is pretty limited, but since that's all he wants, might be the perfect thing.

I'd personally prefer the Zebralight H53Fw(I have the previous version of it, and one of their older pure flood headlamps, as well-which I really only use for changing the oil in my vehicles) for its wider range of use, as I find it plenty floody even close up.

There is a wide selection of headlamps available, even limiting your search to AA-powered lights. None of the AA headlamps are likely to be throwers, and given the headlamp's stated purpose, just about any of these will meet the criteria. Since the light will be used in a confined space, I suspect the bigger question is whether you want a cool white or neutral white emitter.

Some neutral white headlamps are:
- Zebralight H53w (1xAA format).
- Fenix HM23 (although this one will auto step-down from the high setting after about 20 minutes; also 1xAA format).
- ArmyTek Tiara A1 Pro (excellent beam for close work; available in cool white (about 5500K) or neutral white (about 4500K).

Some useful and rechargeable headlamps (no batteries to replace):
- Fenix HL40R (focusable, in case there is ever a need to go from flood to spot; 2000 mAh internal battery).
- Fenix HL32R (same as above, except not focusable; 2000 mAh internal battery).
- Nitecore NU20 (rechargeable; 600 mAh internal battery; ultra lightweight; available with either cool white or neutral white emitter).

These selections should get you started. Browse your favorite manufacturers' websites for a more exhaustive search.

Happy hunting.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Streamlight bandit. It is so floody that it does not need a tilt mechanism. Small, light, and has a simple UI ( low and high). Also includes a hat clip if he thinks he may use it. The only box it does not check is it is micro-usb rechargeable. But in this day and age, that may not be an issue.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
My boss - knowing I'm into flashlights - asked me what headlamp to buy for his purpose of looking behind 19" audio racks... he simply expected me to know ALL about headlamps, but unfortunately I don't! All he wants is the following:

- a normal amount of light, no extreme brightness needed
- powered from simple AA batteries, NO 18650s or whatever (in his opinion...) "fancy" power source
- must have a wide angle of light. No piercing point source that will light a thousand meters away...

All I know is Petzl, which (once??) was famous for its headlamps... what do you guys propose?

Check out these options on Battery Junction. He'll probably want one with a High CRI.
https://www.batteryjunction.com/fla...d&search_return=all&Catalogbattbatterysize=AA

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore HA23 (2AA, 260 lumens) or one of the newer Petzl headlights (3AAA or proprietary lithium ion battery pack: Tikkina/250 lumens, Tikka or Zipka/300 lumens). These headlights are all flood and priced from $20-$30.

Latest posts