Headlamp in traffic (bicycling)

D6859

Enlightened
Since the beginning of this year change in regulations allow Finnish bicyclists to wear a headlamp instead of using a light attached to the bicycle. What do you think are the pros and cons of using a hedlamp while riding a bike in traffic?

Pros:
+ the headlamp illuminates the place you're looking at so you don't have to turn your bike first to see that turn you took was a dead end
+ you don't have to buy separate bike light (or a holder for your flashlight). Most people have some kind of headlamp, I think.
+ also, as you don't want to spend money ''just for the bike light'' most bike lights are bad in the quality in that price range. Now you could invest in buying a good headlamp instead of buying a new bike light every fall since the previous has broken or lost
+ no things to remove from your bike when locking it. You can wear the headlamp before and after the ride
+ helps you to (un)lock the bike in the dark by leaving both of your hands free
+ when crossing a street you usually watch left and right so while wearing a headlamp the car drivers are more likely to notice you
+ people who have been wearing a headlamp anyway aren't breaking the law anymore (and won't get fined for it)
+ headlamps don't usually have those annoying blinky modes that still aren't allowed in traffic
+ possibility to signal by nodding your head to get drivers' attention
+ if you get a flat tire or mechanical issue, having a light on your head makes it much easier to make repairs

Cons:
- car drivers (and other traffic) may have problems to decide which way you're riding at and which way you're looking at
- the light may not be seen in car's mirrors when you're close to the car
- most headlamps are quite floody whereas a bike light should be quite throwy (or with a tight beam) and
- as you're turning your head a bright headlamp (and/or too floody) is more likely to blind others than a light attached to your waist level
- you have almost no contrast for small debris and potholes since the light path casts no shadows

Even though I've found more pros than cons, I'll still stick to using my flashlight attached to my bike. Mostly I'm worried about other road users getting blinded if I try to use same output level on my headlamp as I use in my flashlight when riding. Anything I haven't considered? I can keep updating the list if there's something you'd like to add.

Last edited:

Charles L.

Enlightened
I've never ridden on the road with a headlamp, as most of my riding is on mtb trails. I probably want a floodier light than you would.

Your list seems about right to me. I wonder if something like the Petzl reactive lighting technology would minimize your potential to blind others? It reacts pretty quickly -- just not sure it would always react in the manner you desire. My Tikka RXP usually projects a combination flood/spot when I have it on one of its reactive settings.

Brunberg

Newly Enlightened
I have been using headlamp for four years now, ignoring Finnish law(shame on me). It's much better option than normal handlebar mounted light, just the looking direction thing wins it for the headlamp. I also had bad experience with Ultrafire WF-501 lamp handlebar mounted, it did not like the vibration that came from driving on snowy roads, constant flickering and mode changing(bad quality lamp, I know). Also I don't have to fix the light two times A day to my bike when using headlamps, maybe I haven't just discovered the perfect handlebar mount?

Tjin

Newly Enlightened
Since the beginning of this year change in regulations allow Finnish bicyclists to wear a headlamp instead of using a light attached to the bicycle. What do you think are the pros and cons of using a hedlamp while riding a bike in traffic?

Pros:
- the headlamp illuminates the place you're looking at so you don't have to turn your bike first to see that turn you took was a dead end
- you don't have to buy separate bike light (or a holder for your flashlight). Most people have some kind of headlamp, I think.
- also, as you don't want to spend money ''just for the bike light'' most bike lights are bad in the quality in that price range. Now you could invest in buying a good headlamp instead of buying a new bike light every fall since the previous has broken or lost
- when crossing a street you usually watch left and right so while wearing a headlamp the car drivers are more likely to notice you
- people who have been wearing a headlamp anyway aren't breaking the law anymore (and won't get fined for it)
- headlamps don't usually have those annoying blinky modes that still aren't allowed in traffic.

Cons:
- car drivers (and other traffic) may have problems to decide which way you're riding at and which way you're looking at
- most headlamps are quite floody whereas a bike light should be quite throwy (or with a tight beam) and
- as you're turning your head a bright headlamp (and/or too floody) is more likely to blind others than a light attached to your waist level

Even though I've found more pros than cons, I'll still stick to using my flashlight attached to my bike. Mostly I'm worried about other road users getting blinded if I try to use same output level on my headlamp as I use in my flashlight when riding. Anything I haven't considered? I can keep updateing the list if there's something you'd like to add.

You could have placed blinding people in the list of cons, instead of seperate. Anyways, headlights are fine when there is no traffic (MTB trails).

Many handle bar mounted lights, not made for this purpose will also blind other road users.

I think the main question, would be what purpose do you have for the light? To see or to be seen.
- To see, a light with a reflector and proper beam is needed.
- To be seen a light which has a very wide angle of light projection which is not blinding. (diffuser of some sort). Lots of (cheap) bike lights have very small degree of projection and little spill around it.

D6859

Enlightened
I think the main question, would be what purpose do you have for the light? To see or to be seen.
- To see, a light with a reflector and proper beam is needed.
- To be seen a light which has a very wide angle of light projection which is not blinding. (diffuser of some sort). Lots of (cheap) bike lights have very small degree of projection and little spill around it.

Indeed, that's why I use my flashlight to see. Usually there's no need for that in the city and I can use lower output modes tobe seen. Now that I was borrowing a bike, I used my headlamp to be seen. I think the idea of the law is that you are seen regardless which light source you are using.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use both a bar mounted light and a helmet mounted light, and find the combination works really well. I suspect drivers will better recognise a bicycle, based on a bar-mounted light. Bar mounted lights are also at the correct level for being seen in a wing mirror as you get closer to the car. Maybe they would mistake a head-mounted light for a walker and not expect them to move so quickly, or lose sight of you in their mirrors once you get closer.

For road riding, a really important factor is being able to reduce the output to prevent glare. There is a real difference between a light to 'be seen' and a light to 'see by'. To 'be seen' does not require trail blazing outputs, so as long as you reduce output when in traffic, I don't see any issue using a headlamp in traffic, but would always prefer to have a bar mounted light as well.

In your PROs, I would also add, that when locking the bike and leaving it, if the light is only on your helmet, there is one or two (if your light has a separate battery pack) fewer things to remove from the bike.

D6859

Enlightened
In your PROs, I would also add, that when locking the bike and leaving it, if the light is only on your helmet, there is one or two (if your light has a separate battery pack) fewer things to remove from the bike.

Good point. I also noticed it saves you a little time when you can put the headlamp on/off your head while walking to/from bike or just keep wearing it. Ok, it's only a few seconds but repeat it 50 times a week (I don't dare to leavy flashlight on my bike even when just doing a quick stop at shop).

Also, headlamp helps you to (un)lock your bike in the dark as it leaves both of your hands free.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
+1 on what subwoofer has put. I ride with a front light on the bars, rear light on the frame and a flashing head light and rear light on my helmet, if I'm in busy traffic, a blinking light 6ft off the ground is more likely to be seen over car roofs etc. It's just a 3*5mm AAA powered unit that's ziptied on, works well though (Alpkit Indigo, if anyone's interested).

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am comfortable with my Zebralight H600 his neck.
It moves a little when I pass on the holes in the ground, but the vision is comfortable.

(Translate with Google)

D6859

Enlightened
Actually the addition to the law doesn't require one to use either headlamp or handbar light but says that the light can be replaced by one attached to the bicyclist. So wearing headlamp around the neck is ok too.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a proper bike light designed for the job instead of a torch,you will get longer run times and will find it easier for dim and dip even with gloves.

kj2

Flashaholic
Buy a proper bike light designed for the job instead of a torch,you will get longer run times and will find it easier for dim and dip even with gloves.

That's why I bought the Fenix BC30. Used a E25 first, but was way to intense and had no useful spill at all.

D6859

Enlightened

But why would you buy a light which you can use only when bicycling?

kj2

Flashaholic

Because you buy a light for a specific purpose. Every light is designed for a specific purpose. Of course you could you them for other things, but they may not work 100% perfect for that use.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Do I really need to answer that,tell you what buy a torch and stick it on your handlebars and wave to the motorists who give you the 2 finger salute.:shakehead

D6859

Enlightened
Because you buy a light for a specific purpose. Every light is designed for a specific purpose. Of course you could you them for other things, but they may not work 100% perfect for that use.

Well, that's too obvious for most of us at CPF, not for all the bicyclists.

D6859

Enlightened
Do I really need to answer that,tell you what buy a torch and stick it on your handlebars and wave to the motorists who give you the 2 finger salute.:shakehead

Sorry, I think I tried to use sarcasm back there. I'm not sure if you've read my reasoning but I've actually bought a flashlight (Thrunite TN12) which I've used nearly a year now. During this time I've never seen a motorist salute me with 2 fingers (and in fact if they were annoyed it'd be 1 finger 'salute' in Finland) most likely due to the fact that they've been so shocked by the light :)

gravelmonkey

Enlightened

Because that's what the marketing companies want you to do. Spend more money.

If a normal light on the bars works, then don't change it. Most decent bike specific lights are for off-road use and almost identical to any normal flashlight anyway.

If I had a £1 for every near miss I've had, I'd be able to afford a top of the range bike specific light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because that's what the marketing companies want you to do. Spend more money.

If a normal light on the bars works, then don't change it. Most decent bike specific lights are for off-road use and almost identical to any normal flashlight anyway.

If I had a £1 for every near miss I've had, I'd be able to afford a top of the range bike specific light.

I really have to disagree,if you are just the average Joe Punter and just want a light fine a torch can be strapped to your steering bars.When I was training hard for road race cycling (20 miles a night) I needed a proper fit for purpose dedicated cycle lamp for which I paid £350 for.