Headlamp recomendation please

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very fond of the Princeton Tec Aurora for in-camp use and it's still my favorite after-dark reading light. Of course my wife swiped that light so now I use a Princeton Tec EOS. A little intense for reading even on low but overall a great light.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
For your first, it was mine and still my only, I would recommend something cheap so you find out if you truly like them. I like the one strap model personally with the battery pack in front on the light. I have the Brinkman 3 LED model two white LEDs and one red and it works great for me. I picked it up at Target for $12.

Another thing I would choose is make sure the light can move up and down for adjustment to point of sight like the Brinkman and others. Some of the cheaper ones do not adjust and I find that way to handy to leaveout.

Welcome to CPF :), you will find some great people here, not that I am one of them but there are plenty of others.

drmaxx

Enlightened
zespectre said:
I'm very fond of the Princeton Tec Aurora for in-camp use and it's still my favorite after-dark reading light. Of course my wife swiped that light so now [...].
This just sounds so very familiar... I really like the Aurora for daily use around the house. Light, fast on my head, bright enough for any task and very versatile (and reasonably priced).
For hiking and camping I got the Apex - There is just more juice in these 4 AA batteries :grin2:

Gaffle

Enlightened
What about the Petzl Duo 8 or 14. I thought the placement of the leds right next to the bulb was a nice feature. They are also regulated. I almost purchased a Duo 5 a few years ago, but I figured out it was a little too hardcore for me. The beam is adjustable too. IPX8. Just another opinion.:thinking:

Petzl Duo

Gaffle

Enlightened
From what I have read the Black Diamond Soliras has a great runtime with its lith ion battery pack. Beam is also bright, again from what I have read. It is just a little more expensive.

Soliras

vdefrancjr

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for the awesome welcome.

Lee, i did go to Target and got the river-rock head-lamp. $5.99 i just couldn't pass it up. While i was on my shopping spree, i also picked up the RR keychain light for $1.78 and gave to the wife (can you say brownie points). This should pave the wave for what's to come.......

Now, i have been reading this board for about a week and some of the stories i have heard i thought some of you where, shall we say.....obsseced with wearing your headlamps.............

I am very sorry for thinking this as i guess i joined the ranks last night - lol. So much so that i was working in the basement and didn't even bother to turn on the lights - lol.

I did experience some of the same things others complained about with this light, blue tint, off-center spot, etc. A few turns of the lens cover fixed the off spot. Light is pretty nice for $5. I can use this for work even, running cable up in drop ceilings and such.

At any rate, thank you all for the info. Based on what i have learned thus far here and some of the other links i found within posts, the PT & Petzl seem to be the best ways to do. I think (from what i have also read) 2 lights are going to do the trick, the Apex for when it is needed, and the EOS for close-range work. Just gotta save some money - lol.

Lucero

Enlightened
While I haven't had the experience of a direct comparison between all lights, when I was searching for a headlamp a year ago, the one I purchased is the MYObelt5. Actually purchased a pair and gave one to the wife.

I like the focus-able incan + the three power settings for the LEDs.

Choose either five LEDs or three LEDs at low/high setting.

Rechargeables go into the pack, the pack goes on the belt, and you're done. It's a "set it and forget it" kind of system. For me.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
vde, I just wish I had discovered headlamps a long time ago, they are simply too handy. I would have loved one at my last job where I did all the wiring and cable for the computer systems in the factory.

Krit

Enlightened
I use PT EOS. This model is full regulated luxeon one watt. Very good headlamp for me.