Headlamp That Flashes

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that spring is here, I am looking for a headlamp that flashes.

It looks like Zebralight may be a choice, but I am hoping for a traditional form-factor.

I would like to stay under $150.00, if possible.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
Besides flashing, is there anything else you're looking for from the headlamp?
Battery size? Red flash? White flash? User interface? Output? Etc?

Reactions: JAS

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery size? Red flash? White flash? User interface? Output? Etc?
I prefer 18650, but I would consider something else, if necessary.

I am thinking white flash, other colors not necessary.

Probably 1,000 lumens.

Wide open on UI.

mobi

Newly Enlightened
I have two headlamps. Here are their strobe specs along with some notes:

===========
Zebralight H600Fd Mk IV 18650 XHP50.2 Floody 5000K High CRI Headlamp
-----
Beacon Strobe Mode [that is, a flash every five seconds]:
0.2Hz Beacon at Low
0.2Hz Beacon at H1 [H1 is over 1500 lm]
------
4Hz Strobe at H1
19Hz Strobe at H1
=============

This 19Hz strobe rate was possibly chosen based on this article:

According to the article, the Dutch police found that a 19Hz strobe light was ideal for stunning/disorienting an attacker. Slower rates were good at that, too, but the slower rates allowed an attacker to slowly move their hands in a way that the defender might not detect.

==========
Armytek Wizard C2 Pro Nichia
------
1600 lm/10 Hz/6 h 20 min/ (440 lm after 2 min)
1600 lm/1 Hz/13 h/ (440 lm after 8 min)
90 lm/1 Hz/ 71 h
============

Both the Zebralight and the Armytek have two strobe modes with over 1000 lumens. The Armytek specs explicitly mention that the strobe steps down after a few minutes. I think the Zebralight probably works that way, too. The H1 mode when used on continuous setting will step down after a while. So it makes sense the strobe modes using H1 work in a similar fashion. But I haven't tested the Zebralight to make sure that happens.

Both lights are programmable. This means once the user selects a strobe or beacon mode and then turns off the light that next time the strobe/beacon is selected, it will flash at the rate and illumination that was selected.

Triple-click from the off-state to turn on the strobe/beacon on the Zebralight.

Quadruple-click from the off-state or the on-state to turn on the strobe/beacon on the Armytek. However, that assumes the light is in Advanced operation. If the light is in General operation, it will take more input (which includes twisting the tailcap to get to the strobe/beacon; confer my post below on operating the Armytek:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/armytek-wizard-c2-pro-nichia-ui-notes.482212/ )

So an advantage of the Zebralight over the Armytek is that the strobe/beacon can always be accessed from the off state by three clicks.

One advantage the Armytek has over the Zebralight is when turning the strobe on and off repeatedly in a relatively short time span. Let's say the light is set for Advanced operation and the strobe/beacon was the last mode used. The Armytek strobe/beacon can then be turned on with one click.

So say that the headlamp is being worn on the head. The strobe is on in order that the user can be easily seen by vehicular traffic. At the same time the user might want to turn off the strobe momentarily, perhaps to not have it shining in the eyes of an approaching jogger, or even in the eyes of a driver as they pass so as not to disorient the driver and inadvertently defeat the purpose of alerting the driver to one's presence.

With both the Zebralight and the Armytek, one click shuts off the light. (Another possibility is just to rotate the light in the holder so that the light is shining upwards.)

But the Zebralight requires a triple-click to get the strobe back. The Armytek requires only 1-click to turn the strobe back on.

Another advantage of the Armytek is that in regard to its headband holder, it is easier to remove the light from and reattach the light to the holder. This facilitates switching between wearing the headlamp and holding it.

That advantage is significant if you are choosing between getting an Armytek or a Zebralight. But if you have both lights, you can use either light in the Armytek holder which turns out to be compatible with the Zebralight.

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Weisshorn headlamp with 3 emitters in separate but integrated housings, it features a low/med/high outputs and strobe, they can be found under other branding and work well off 2 x 18650s.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
I suppose nearly all headlamps offer somekind of flash mode. Its different though if you need fast strobe for defend purposes or slow flashing. All our lamps have flash (blinking) mode on triple-click and its to be used on a bicycle to be seen by drivers, its slow flashing. 1000lm and 18650 sounds like our Lucifer S2X or Z2Mini is best fit, but many others brands fit that as well.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the delayed response, but here are the headlamps I found that flash...
Thank you very much!

I went on a bike ride last night and I was thinking how nice it would be to have a flashing headlamp during a bicycle ride.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much!

I went on a bike ride last night and I was thinking how nice it would be to have a flashing headlamp during a bicycle ride.
Glad to help you out.

I know that there are some really nice bike lights out there too, but they normally don't flash (except for the rear lights) and usually cost more than $150. 🤑🤑🤑😲😲😲🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️
Like these...
https://www.niterider.com/collections/cycling/products/6807-pro-2200-race

https://www.niterider.com/collections/cycling/products/pro-2200-enduro-front-bike-light

https://www.niterider.com/collections/cycling/products/epro™-1000-and-emax-™-150-combo

https://www.niterider.com/collections/cycling/products/pro-1800-race-4-cell-front-bike-light
https://www.niterider.com/collections/cycling/products/pro-1400-race-4-cell-front-bike-light

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I look through the list, I am trying to decide what the correct mode for biking would be.

The Nitecore HC60W V2 has Location Beacon, SOS, Strobe.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
As I look through the list, I am trying to decide what the correct mode for biking would be.

The Nitecore HC60W V2 has Location Beacon, SOS, Strobe.

I would think that the strobe mode would work the best for biking. 🤷‍♂️

DRW

Enlightened
I would think that the strobe mode would work the best for biking. 🤷‍♂️
Why do you think that?. I've never seen a bicycle using a strobe. Flashing white for the front is common during the day.

Flash is very slow compared to most strobes.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
Why do you think that?. I've never seen a bicycle using a strobe. Flashing white for the front is common during the day.

Flash is very slow compared to most strobes.

I just figure strobe is going to get people's attention better than a slower flash and he should be able to see what's going on in front of him.

Other than that it's just a guess really. He'll have to try the different modes to truly know which one works best for him.

DRW

Enlightened
I just figure strobe is going to get people's attention better than a slower flash and he should be able to see what's going on in front of him.

Other than that it's just a guess really. He'll have to try the different modes to truly know which one works best for him.
Another one that thinks randomly shining a strobe at a driver and others is a good idea. Yeah, the strobe that manufactures claim is for self defense.

How would a cyclist truly know what works best for them? I've never been struck by a car, and never used a strobe on my bike.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure why the OP needs a flashing headlamp, but it's up to them to figure out which flashing mode works best for their needs.

I never said to shine it at every driver going down the road, but if there's a driver that looks like they're going to hit you, then I would use any means necessary to get their attention.

When I was still riding my road bike I just used a helmet light that was on constantly and a red flashing tail light.

Unfortunately I got injured 12 years and am now a C4 quadriplegic, so I now use a headlamp that's constantly on whenever I go out for a stroll with my dog when it's getting close to dusk or it's already dark out to see what's in front of me and to make sure people see me.

Unfortunately I've had some really close calls with people not paying attention and nearly hitting me. Even in the winter when I'm wearing a construction style winter jacket that's neon green and has reflective strips on it going both vertical and horizontal, plus the headlamp is on.
My headlamp beam normally points about 20-30 feet in front of me to not blind oncoming traffic, but I'll be honest that when they're about a 100 feet away and it looks like they're going to hit me if I don't get their attention, I've picked my head up for a second to get their attention. It's only after I've done that, do they move towards the middle of the road to avoid hitting me. I'd much rather blind them momentarily, than end up getting killed by a person texting and driving. Unlike most people, I can't jump up on the curb or onto the snow bank to avoid getting hit. :((n)

It should be noted that you're supposed to ride your bike with traffic and walk against traffic, not saying that everyone does that. 😟

Attachments

• 20220110_145510.jpg
    20220110_145510.jpg
    896.4 KB · Views: 83

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery size? Red flash? White flash? User interface? Output? Etc.?

My wife and I rode the Cannon Valley Trail in Minnesota yesterday. A number of the riders had daytime flashing headlights. The one that most attracted my attention was one that was FLASH, FLASH, DOUBLE-FLASH. Does anybody happen to know what bike lights have that as a flash pattern?

Last edited: