Heat issue aside, why not just for giggles?

AnthonyMcEwen2014

Enlightened
Ok, guys proberly dumb but heat issues aside, and runtime, any reason someone hasent made a AAA / AA sized (Running lion obviously) light running an XML2 ect / Other high output led and driven it to full spec.

Admittedly you could not run it for more than maby 10-30 seconds on this high mode but how cool would it be to pull out a AAA sized light with a 1000lumens.

I mean any reason why not? We can drove the led to this level so why dont they exisit just for giggles! What the technical issues preventing this?

I know no such light is practical but I'd sure as hell want one just for the OMG factor!!!!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Vesuvius. The 10440 size in the IMR lithium chemistry can just about deliver 2 amps. That's not fully-driving the XM-L, but it's quite bright. Small driver circuits at this size (10mm diameter) that push 3A are very rare, so these lights are often direct-drive or have a QTC slug in them.

Technical issues:

1. Runtime.
2. Output control - All flood, all the time.
3. LED heat. Over 150C, dead.
4. Flashlight heat. Over 50C, I can't hold it.
5. Battery strain. Most batteries that "can" deliver over 2C suffer doing it. I guess my IMR10440s in the Vesuvius are good for ~200 full-blast discharge cycles.

Look for the Peak Vesuvius and TGWNN's 500-lumen AAA flashlight.