To buy or not to buy

LRJ88

Enlightened
So i've been having my eyes on Streamlights recently, specifically the Stinger models. It's hard for me to buy into the charging system, but overall looking at them i'm plenty interested in getting a Streamlight Stinger Classic LED, is there any reason in particular NOT to get this light?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dunno, they don't have tons of UI tricks or an aftermarket, so they don't favor the gadgeteer crowd. Other than that they're super solid flashlights with decades of police service behind them. Company has terrific customer service. Lights and parts are usually super cheap off eBay.

I prefer the Stinger 2020 for the selector switch but the Classic is a lot smaller and lighter. Wish they made an UltraStinger Classic LED too.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Sounds to me like i'll have to lighten my wallet then, considering the amount of stuff i'll put it through it's nice to have something simpler as well. I miss the simplicity of Maglite, but they just aren't there anymore in terms of overall performance.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds to me like i'll have to lighten my wallet then, considering the amount of stuff i'll put it through it's nice to have something simpler as well. I miss the simplicity of Maglite, but they just aren't there anymore in terms of overall performance.
Maybe, maybe not. But they don't pretend to be made in the USA, they actually are, not just "assembled in the USA" from parts manufactured in China.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I was issued a stinger and have carried many over the years. I only had an issue with one of the early stinger LED models that they came out with and it had a bad switch. I have dropped them and banged them up many times over the years and had them survive. I like the idea of the stinger 2020 because it uses 18650 battery packs and those you can charge off of a micro usb. So the charging cradle isnt necessary. Granted if you are planning on mounting the charger on the wall or in a car, its a good idea to use one of those stingers. I know that the old stinger models run cheap and you can upgrade them to LED pretty easily. The stinger does what I need it to do, doesnt stop me from carrying my old reliable surefire 6p as a back up though.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
yoda-art-observer.jpg

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wish they made an UltraStinger Classic LED too.
I wonder why they don't? The LED version they used to make doesn't seem to be all that bright from what I read online. It would be cool to have one that is 1000-3000 lumens with everything else being the same except for maybe an updated but compatable lithium battery.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Streamlight Classic Stinger LED is definitely worth checking out.
Not too long. Doesn't get in the way when charging. Fits nicely into the sap pocket of my cargo pants. I love mine.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why they don't? The LED version they used to make doesn't seem to be all that bright from what I read online. It would be cool to have one that is 1000-3000 lumens with everything else being the same except for maybe an updated but compatable lithium battery.
Used to make? They still sell the Ultrastinger LED. 1100 lumens with a pinpoint spot. I just wish it had the outside finish of the old incan Ultrastinger.