heatsinks

tharg

Newly Enlightened
hay guys eney ideas on heatsinking a driver in a plastic dive light canister. i need to put the driver in the canister.the light head is to small.

tharg

Newly Enlightened
3 amps going to push a xml. and a taskled driver. not trying to bash eneybody but orderd 2 kd p7 drivers to put in the head but thay dint work.ugh so going to order a taskled people here are having good luck with thim.plus its here in the states

herculino

Newly Enlightened
It doesn't sound well as plastic is a good thermal isolation material.

May be it's a stupid idea but... What a bout using the cable gland (if made of metal) as a kind of thermal bias? You could use a piece of copper sheet and shape it like a disk to attach the driver and then solder a strip ended like a washer to fix to the inner part of the cable gland.

The draw is horrible but I hope you get the idea.

Another option would be to build some kind of thermal bias with a piece of aluminum and some sealed screws, but this involves drilling the canister and anodizing the aluminum. So complicates an not elegant at all.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're only pushing 3A through a TaskLED driver, it doesn't need much of a heatsink. I'd take a 4-6" piece of 1/8" x 1" aluminum and glue it to the inside of the case, then mount the driver on that. That should be sufficient.

Codiak

Enlightened
If you're only pushing 3A through a TaskLED driver, it doesn't need much of a heatsink. I'd take a 4-6" piece of 1/8" x 1" aluminum and glue it to the inside of the case, then mount the driver on that. That should be sufficient.

Nothing says you have to run at the 3Amps either

Codiak

Enlightened
Are you seriously suggesting UNDERdriving an LED? :eeksign:Do you know what forum you're on?:crackup:

I am suggesting he live within the limits of heat dissipation. Ran one of my builds for 12 hours on level 1 last night....enough the read by!

tharg

Newly Enlightened
no im driving it at 3 amps :thumbsup: and i think i came up with way to put driver in the head.but i will need to do some more lath work. only problem i got now is the hall swicth im running out of space