Heavy duty retractable reels instead of lanyards?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was searchin' around the net for lanyards, keyrings, split rings, etc. and I came across these:

Retactable Reels, heavy duty

They look pretty good. The place is called lanyardfactory.com fer cryin' out loud. I don't know the price of them. I know jtice here sells homemade lanyards which from what I understand are pretty nice. I still may order some! (at least 4) Just wanted to get opinions.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
They have their place. I used one by Cetacea for my dive console.
You just have to make sure the retraction force is not to high and realize that it's not a good idea to just let go of them.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never seen one that size that could hold more than a coin cell light. The one that I use for lights doesn't rely on the winding mechanism to support the weight. It uses a small nub that locks in place at the main unit.

-LT

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Heavy duty retractable reels instead of lanyar

I have a Gearkeeper and love it. Steel cable, plenty of pull (different models have different levels of retract-pull), and easy attachment to your belt. Plus it's light weight.

greenLED

Flashaholic

Are these the ones that nurses, doctors, and some LEO's use when inside buildings to attach their ID's?

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened

no, the geerkeepers are much stronger than the regular ID holder ones. I get mine from tadgear, they are excellent quality. steel wire instead of string, good retraction everytime. i use it on my backpack straps for a whistle, microlight, and watch/temp/altimeter device. they have stronger ones for flashlights also, but i've only been using the lightest one