Hello All,Buying My First Hid Flashilght.

jkoppk

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,I have been lurking here for a bit and this is my first post in the forums.Since i changed my headlights in my car last year to HIDS i always thought how amazing it would be if there were a flashlight made with them.Then i came across this forum and saw there were so i gotta have one.The price of the lights floored me since i got my car kit for $80 and they have worked flawlessly for a year and the light output is great.My wife has a real problem with me spending $300-$500 on a flashlight so i got this one instead.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=350146522325 It seems to be a pl24 clone maybe but says its made buy the same company.It's as much cash as my wife would let me spend on a flashlight so i hope it at least works well.It's ordered so i will post pics and a review when it arrives.

Richie086

Enlightened
Hi Jkoppk,

Welcome to the forum :welcome:

I've been checking out that Ebay sellers auction for several months now and have come very close to making that same purchase. In spite of the problems CPF members have noted on those HID's that quality control may not be what it should be.

However, I have been checking the feedback buyers have been leaving for the seller and his 35w and 24w HID's, and it's all been excellent. Once you receive your 24w version, please post your comments or observations and if possible, night time beam shots.

I'm actually more interested to know if something does go wrong with it, is it possible to purchase replacement HID bulbs or a ballast off the shelf to not only make a repair, but to install higher quality components. Thanks.

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Sorry, but for $150 you should have got something much better.

The Amondotech N30 is a well praised HID light in this forum. Its ability to throw makes it one of the best portable spotlights. Highly discussed and recommended, I'm gonna place my order soon.

theshorelinemarket_2033_18613909

Patriot

Flashaholic
richard, the PL24 sold by AE Lights sells for about $350. If the clone that he ordered is indeed made by the same mother company, then the original poster got a lot of light for the money.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of the AE PL24 clones from the same ebay seller a while back. It seemed fine from my limited testing. It was however a lot bigger than I thought it would be, and I sold it, shortly after getting it, on the marketplace.

pipspeak

Enlightened
Anyone know if those AE clones will take genuine AE parts and accessories? For example, I would want a DC charger but I noticed the clone battery is higher capacity than the AE so I've no idea if the AE charger would work. I assume it will :confused:

Also curious if anyone knows of any beamshots of AE 24W vs. the WE Boxer 24W.

HamboneOR

Newly Enlightened
I do some volunteer search & rescue work, most of it at night. I checked this forum for advice on first-purchase HID lights. I ended up with the Amondotech N30 based on what I read here. It lives up to the recommendation in terms of value & performance. It does everything but penetrate the trees in the woods. I bought from Battery Junction and picked up the extra battery. Huge fun and by far the brightest light my fishing buddies have ever seen.

jkoppk

Newly Enlightened
I got my light today and it looks good.I charged it and the beam is impressive.If it keeps working like this it was well worth the $149 paid for it.I want to post pics but the post rules at the bottom sat i can't,why is that?

Richie086

Enlightened
I got my light today and it looks good.I charged it and the beam is impressive.If it keeps working like this it was well worth the $149 paid for it.I want to post pics but the post rules at the bottom sat i can't,why is that?

Hi Jk,

Please keep us informed about this HID whether you have trouble with it or not.

jkoppk

Newly Enlightened
Well just wanted to let u guys know that i fully charged the light and let it on to see the run time.It ran for 150 minutes and looked as bright as when i started but i got worried and turned it off.Does this light have an auto cutoff to save the batteries?It came with no directions or info at all so i dont know.It said runtime of 145min with the supplied 5200mah battery it came with so i got worried when it went over.Is there a pl24 manual online i could download since they are the same?

eztune

Newly Enlightened
Well just wanted to let u guys know that i fully charged the light and let it on to see the run time.It ran for 150 minutes and looked as bright as when i started but i got worried and turned it off.Does this light have an auto cutoff to save the batteries?It came with no directions or info at all so i dont know.It said runtime of 145min with the supplied 5200mah battery it came with so i got worried when it went over.Is there a pl24 manual online i could download since they are the same?
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you got a good deal. I might have to get one as my first hid. Did you try to see if it would burn newpaper? Or take it outside and see how bright it was at the start and finish? Does it shoot a long beam in the night sky or light up objects in the distance well? Please let us know the pro and cons on this Hid light.

Richie086

Enlightened
Hi there JK,

How do you like the size? From a photo I saw, it appeared to be of a large diameter flashlight. I really like that run time you posted. You have me interested in this light.

jkoppk

Newly Enlightened
How do you like the size?
The size of the light is ok to me.Sure it's longer and rounder than a d cell maglight but you can still grip it fine and its not real heavy for its size.I live in town so i can't get crazy shining it around but i have briefly lit up houses a good football field away with no problem.I would post beam shots and in hand pics but i can't.Do you have to have a certian amount of posts to put up pics or is there another issue i don't know about?Also it took 5.5 hrs to fully charge after running it fo 150 minutes.The only thing i would like is a beam i can focus from spot to flood.Seems like the beam could be tightened up just a bit but for what i paid no complaints here at all.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Anyone know if those AE clones will take genuine AE parts and accessories? For example, I would want a DC charger but I noticed the clone battery is higher capacity than the AE so I've no idea if the AE charger would work. I assume it will :confused:
This is definitely not my area of expertise, but have folks noticed that clones and cheap imitations tend to claim higher battery capacities than the product they are trying to compete with? Virtually nobody will test their figure, and they will almost definitely get more sales with people thinking that the 'new' clone has extra capacity than the 'old' original. My 1.5 cents, FWIW.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is definitely not my area of expertise, but have folks noticed that clones and cheap imitations tend to claim higher battery capacities than the product they are trying to compete with? Virtually nobody will test their figure, and they will almost definitely get more sales with people thinking that the 'new' clone has extra capacity than the 'old' original. My 1.5 cents, FWIW.
I agree with you, this issue always seems to come up in the batteries/electronics sub-forum where someone wants to know if 'xxx'-brand RCR123 available on a certain auction site with a claimed 1200mAh capacity is a good deal, and why they'd ever buy an AW-brand if capacity is only 750mAh. Along the same lines of those 'ALPHA' P60-type dropins which claim up to 390lm from an R2 XR-E. Come on now!!

To me at least, it's a sales gimmick intended to sway the customer who doesn't know any better.:shakehead

Kestrel

Flashaholic
...Along the same lines of those 'ALPHA' P60-type dropins which claim up to 390lm from an R2 XR-E. Come on now!!
To me at least, it's a sales gimmick intended to sway the customer who doesn't know any better.:shakehead

I don't know, as soon as see a 395 lumen LED module for sale, I will buy it to replace my 390 lumen module.:thinking:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
CONGRATS on your first HID light.

I have HID's in my truck and I LOVE them. I look forward to getting my first handheld HID too.