HELP✨🌟✨

VegasSteve777

Newly Enlightened
Searching out a light for my son.
Work has him up 20 attics daily using Costco's-Techlite-Lumen-Master.
I'd like a nicer light for him, like an LED, Cool White (not neutral), Minimum 300-OTF-Lumens, at least 2 Brightness Levels, AA's or AAA's, Length 5" or less, Diameter aprox.1"/1.3", end cap capable of tail stand/candle lighting, focusable beam (not essential), switch location/no preference, regulated, durable, proven/dependable, serviceable (bulbs/parts), water "Resistant".......
The ZEBRA LIGHT SC600 CREE XM-L 750 Lume Flashlight would be perfect if it didn't use an 18650 battery whereas he has free AA/AAA's at work and doesn't want to bother with recharging or batteries not available from work.
750 LUMENS!!!!! THIS would be exactly what I'd like to buy and impress him with.
He's clueless thinking that his Costco 3-pack 120 listed Lume rating is THE BRIGHTEST light of it's smaller size on the planet!!!
It's more than likely I'm dreaming the impossible here.
Sooooo.....

To anyone that replies, leaves input, opinion and or information...
I sincerely Thank-You!!! 

~Steve M~
Las Vegas, NV
✌

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ✨🌟✨HELP✨🌟✨

There are a few lights that use 3 to 4 AAs that might meet your lumen requirements but they are larger than what you want.I would guess that your son is getting free alkaline batteries and they are not really optimal for high output lights.If you can live with less lumens something like the Quark Pro QP2A-X(2AA/280 lumens) might be a viable option.

VegasSteve777

Newly Enlightened

Right, the Quark. Not much cheaper than the far superior SC600. I'm just gonna have to show him how easy it is to charge a battery. Which 18650 would be optimim for this light. I think I'll get the light and 3 batteries. ALSO, where would be a Holster for this Zebra??

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Right, the Quark. Not much cheaper than the far superior SC600. I'm just gonna have to show him how easy it is to charge a battery. Which 18650 would be optimim for this light. I think I'll get the light and 3 batteries. ALSO, where would be a Holster for this Zebra??

For attic work, its a royal PITA to have to go back down if the cells run out and do a swap, etc....but if he's in 20 attics a day...it sounds like he's only IN the attic for a few minutes at a time. That said, especially if gifting him, I'd get the newer high capacity protected 3100 mAh 18650's (MaH indicates how LONG the cell will supply power for).

The cells I prefer for this type of work are Callies Kustoms, AW, Redilast, Xtar, and Eagletac. If you're getting him 3-4 cells, and a charger with the light, he might want to be able to charge all of them at the same time. The Xtar WP6 II is great for that (It can do up to 6 at a time), and can also be run of a car cig lighter, as well as from a wall receptacle....handy if on the go all the time. Most of the other chargers can only do 1-2 at a time.

The KEY to these high power lights IS the energy density in the lithium ion cells. Alkalines simply do not have the juice to power them. As the SC600 only needs ONE cell to run, a lot of the problems associated with (Multi-cell) lithium ion cell safety are avoided. Your son WOULD need to educate himself on the safe use of these cells though, BECAUSE of the amount of energy in these cells, and the potential hazards that can occur if used improperly. This is ONE of the reasons why you only want to use PROTECTED cells from sources that HJK here, etc, have reviewed, tested, and judged to be a good choice. (Such as the ones I listed above)

If you haven't already, check out the CFP Marketplace "next door", as many dealers give discounts to CPF members, and you can save some $.

:D

Most of us don't use a holster for a 4" light. They come with a pocket clip though, and a lanyard is a good idea when working where dropping the light down a chimney chase, etc, is a possibility.

Another great attic inspection light is the Klarus XT11. It has roughly the same lumen output visually, but the beam is somewhat more concentrated, so it can put a bright light on things that are further away than the SC600 can. The SC600's beam is a flood pattern, a ball of light. The XT11's beam is a floody beam, but definitely throws the light further out in front of you. For larger attics, I find the XT11 more useful than the SC600 as I can hit the opposite wall with enough light to essentially light up the entire field of view end to end.

The SC600 puts out plenty of light, but again, its not concentrated enough for the same brightness to hit things further away. For inspection work, typically, you are looking for details, such as if a nail has rust on it, is that a natural wood grain mark, or a water stain, etc....rather than a typical user's need to see if there's a hole they should avoid falling into, etc.

For residential work, where the attics are a few hundred square feet, the SC600 is pretty useful. For commercial, or larger residential attics, I prefer the slightly larger XT11 (More like 5" than 4", but still uses one cell, the length is from the deeper head that allows that additional throw).

To put it into perspective, I have both in the same pant pocket, and I pull out the one that seems best suited given the range, etc.

:D

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast

move up and get an Xtar charger and protected 18650 and your options for lighting increase exponentially. plus big lumens.
for attics I would get a zebralight h600 headlamp. it will run all day+ on medium (300+ or so lumens) and charge it at night

VegasSteve777

Newly Enlightened

TeeJ & 127, I thank you!!
TeeJ, one last question, if I buy the 4 cell charger, how long do these superior cells hold their charge, and I agree about bolstering a 4" light, but his work tool belt has had a light holster on it for 10 years and he's got a system for what he does every day, so I'll be buying him an appropriate holster which I have already found.
Dear 127, although a headlamp works for many people, myself included, it's not an option for my son!! Thanks so much for the input!!

Samy

Enlightened

Although i use a SC600 daily for work, i am a flashaholic and need to supply my own batteries. If he gets all the free AA batteries he needs then I would be getting him an 800 lumen Fenix TK41 or TK45 for a more floody beam. Yes, it's much larger and uses a lot of AA batteries, but the runtimes are phenomenal and its a nice size, not too small to lose, plus he can run it for free! I would say that if you tail stranded a TK41 on max in an attic it would easily light up the entire attic.

Btw, I also have a TK41 and I use it daily too ;)

Cheers

Last edited:

VegasSteve777

Newly Enlightened

Thank's for the input. That is one nice light, but unfortunately way to big for his needs. The SC600 is gonna be the one... He'll just need to get used to throwing the cells into the charger.
Thank's Again!!
~Steve~
����

zenbeam

Enlightened

ALSO, where would be a Holster for this Zebra??

Ahem.... [h=2]The Perfect Zebralight SC600 Holster![/h]
That link will not only take you to my own ramblings on about a great holster for the SC600, but several others chime in with their suggestions as well. I really think the holster highlighted by the opening post would be rugged enough to handle the type of work you've described your son doing.