HELP! 10 SSC P7 LEDs in offroad racing light

LEDobsession

Enlightened
You're saying $200 for this whole thing built up, right?

I'll have to ask the Mrs (santa's helper) if that would be okay. ;) Even if I get my motorcycle project done, I'll still need high beams! Then again there's always the Bridgelux (gotta figure out how to drive and cool that though).

Back to your topic at hand. That thing is sweet no matter what!

Thanks!

I was just saying it cost me about 200 in materials to make. I had free access to all my machining, so It'll be a little more when I can actually produce a marketable one [I had guessed around 600 (I know, thats a lot) but was shooting for the ~400 range].

Amazing project! Congratulations!

Thank you!

dyogim

Newly Enlightened
I'm a newb on these forums and this thread and your work has inspired me to fab up my own lights.

Great job on the housing! I more than likely won't be able to make anything close to that but, hope to have the same results as yours. I want this for my truck. I've been looking far and wide to find a set that I'm satisfied with but, have not found anything. What better to make my own...

LEDobsession

Enlightened
I'm a newb on these forums and this thread and your work has inspired me to fab up my own lights.

Great job on the housing! I more than likely won't be able to make anything close to that but, hope to have the same results as yours. I want this for my truck. I've been looking far and wide to find a set that I'm satisfied with but, have not found anything. What better to make my own...

Thanks!

Its a lot of fun to make your own, but its also a lot of work. And as I've learned a ton from making it, I've found that to function properly, you need to take that time to do it right. I've been really happy with my Vision X Xmitter, but they are a bit on the pricey side and tend to scare the average consumer away because of that. Have fun building and let me know if I can be of any help!

Trevor

dyogim

Newly Enlightened
Have fun building and let me know if I can be of any help!

Trevor

Sure, can you build me a case at cost!?!? LOL, J/K!!!! I'm sure it'll be a fun project. 8 SSC P7's look really bright, I was thinking of going with twice as much but, it all depends on the budget and complexity. For now, I plan on hunting down the P7's and start collecting now.

If and when I start, I'll be sure to track the progress and post a thread of the build once finished.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Sure, can you build me a case at cost!?!? LOL, J/K!!!! I'm sure it'll be a fun project. 8 SSC P7's look really bright, I was thinking of going with twice as much but, it all depends on the budget and complexity. For now, I plan on hunting down the P7's and start collecting now.

If and when I start, I'll be sure to track the progress and post a thread of the build once finished.

:thumbsup:

JJay03

Newly Enlightened
Ever get any pics of this mounted im into off roading now and something like this would be awesome. I would probably blind my friends though.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Not that any of you know of, remember, or even care about this thread, but I have finally put some of the finishing touches to the light. I know there is other stuff thats brighter and more advanced now, but I still had fun building this light and since I made it, I might as well use it. It took a little bit of searching to find something that I could use for the connectors, but I came across the Turck PicoFast series and thought they would work well. I wish I would have gotten the 4 pin setup so that I could double up the leads, but 3 pin was cheaper. I also found some mounting brackets from Wurton (they were super cheap and I couldn't pass them up) that work perfectly. I milled off their logo though. Hehe.:nana:
And yes, I am going to get a black cable instead of yellow.

Now I need to make some feet to mount the brackets to for my current light bar setup on my truck and squirt in some silicone on top of the seals and I'll be ready to go! Then I can start working on the next light bar. I'm just having a hard time trying to decide if I want to use XP-G2's, XM-L2's, SST-90's, or the CSM/CBM-360W. :devil:

8982286967_827128a272_c.jpg

8982288113_1ca03b98c5_c.jpg

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice to see this in its final form! And now, you can use it as a platform for new LEDs if ever you feel the need to upgrade ;-)

That thing's got quite a lot of mass to it, it looks like!

Would make a nice deck or patio light. Or a nice stadium light ;-)

LEDobsession

Enlightened
It's good to see a few people remembered this thread! :wave:

Nice to see this in its final form! And now, you can use it as a platform for new LEDs if ever you feel the need to upgrade ;-)

That thing's got quite a lot of mass to it, it looks like!

Would make a nice deck or patio light. Or a nice stadium light ;-)

I could always switch out LED's, but Im not sure how it'd work with my reflectors. They were never perfect for P7's anyways, but they get the light out front. It has quite a bit of mass to it. Everyone that has handled it says it must have been built for a tank. Haha. Yes, stadium lighting, for my Tacoma! ;)

That's awesome and keep the yellow lead, looks mint :)

Thanks! I originally didn't like the yellow, but now it's sort of growing on me. I do have a black one coming so I can have both options, or even the option of putting it on two vehicles!

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you ever feel even more ambitious, you could turn those countersunk rounded reflector holes into holders for some standard sized TIRs. Then, you could have the option of swapping out TIRs to have all narrow, all flood, or some combination of narrow and flood. Most TIRs have holders, so you could set the holders in the proper place and just snap out the TIRs to replace 'em. And TIRs can be kind of finicky if you use them without some way of centering them and having them located in the correct place. But really, I like the somewhat focused wall of light. Beamshots look mad! In a good way, of course.

Last edited:

LEDobsession

Enlightened
If you ever feel even more ambitious, you could turn those countersunk rounded reflector holes into holders for some standard sized TIRs. Then, you could have the option of swapping out TIRs to have all narrow, all flood, or some combination of narrow and flood. Most TIRs have holders, so you could set the holders in the proper place and just snap out the TIRs to replace 'em. And TIRs can be kind of finicky if you use them without some way of centering them and having them located in the correct place. But really, I like the somewhat focused wall of light. Beamshots look mad! In a good way, of course.

Sorry to be so slow to respond. Busy, I guess.

There's an idea that I like! I'm not aware of any TIR that is that small and made specifically for the P7, unfortunately. It would probably have to be something generic, maybe for an MC-E or something like that. They're actually really close to each ocher in there, less than an inch apart, and finding an optic that is that diameter but is made for a bigger emitter might be pretty hard. Do you happen to know of any?

Yeah, I've also seen the wander without holders. It's annoying.

I played around with that harness I made using Turck's PicoFast receptacles and cables, but I noticed that the output was nowhere near as powerful as when I had first rigged up the light, and no wonder! My AWG before the PicoFast was 18 and after was 24 (it is a 3 wire connection, so I did double up the positive side, but that's still only 2x24AWG, so roughly 21 AWG on the pos, and 24 on the neg)!!

So, I did some more Turck searching and found the EuroFast series from which I selected a 4 wire cable with 18 AWG per wire, and doubled up that will give me 15AWG (if I'm not mistaken). I haven't tested it yet since I'm still waiting for the receptacle to arrive, but holy cow, the cable almost looks overkill, but at least I won't be losing any voltage or amperage now!

I've also made the adapting brackets I needed to mount it to my truck, so now I'm just waiting for the rest of the wiring stuff to be finished up and I can use it!

Pictures will follow soon.