Help centering blade on Kershaw Leek (after torsion bar replacement)

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a limited edition 1660TSW Kershaw Leek Random Task from 2006 that I EDC regularly. The knife has served me well for nearly 10 years, until recently when the torsion bar failed. I got a replacement torsion bar from Kershaw, and installed it after a thorough cleaning and lubrication. I reassembled the knife the same way that it came apart (also verified with on-line assembly photos), but the blade is no longer centered when closed. What has happened, and how do I fix it? Thanks!

Msf

Enlightened
Hi, very nice knife. I have the partially serrated version that I regularly edc. I have had the same problem with my leeks centering after taking apart to clean. Hopefully you already have it centered, but if not, maybe this will be useful. While I have managed to get mine right by various methods such as modifying the washers, the best way without risking damage to the knife is to send it to Kershaw for sharpening. It is free except for return postage and they will clean and center it properly while they have it. It is about a three week turn around though.

Go to the Kershaw support page and fill out the warranty form, give them a CC for return postage (10 dollars). Used them many times and never disappointed.

thslw8jg

Enlightened
You may have to adjust the blade pivot screw tension. Do this with the blade closed and facing you so you can stop once centered. If this doesn't get it centered, you will have to slightly loosen all the scale screws, with blade closed and facing you slide scales on each side until blade is centered. Once centered, hold in place and tighten scale screws. Repeat first step above with adjusting blade pivot screw tension.

Good luck.

Last edited:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the information, guys. I ended up sending the knife to Kershaw to have it adjusted. After trying nightly for about a week, I got the blade centered, but it wouldn't open properly. I was tired of messing with it, so I filled out the paperwork and sent it off. It took almost 4 weeks to get back, but it opens like a new knife. I bought a new Leek while I was waiting for the 1660TSW to come back, so I actually did compare the two.